Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/21/2012 5:01:28 AM EDT
Federal workers, the coalition wrote in a letter, have contributed more than their fair share toward reducing the debt and are the only group that has been targeted so heavily.

says the $21 per hour Postal Janitors...

http://nationaljournal.com/congress-legacy/federal-workers-to-congress-leave-us-out-of-deficit-deal-20121120

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:07:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Some of our members will be along shortly to tell you how federal workers are appropriately paid and to chastise you.

As for me, I am constantly dismayed with how bloated, useless, harmful and overpaid our federal bureaucracy is.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:09:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Some of our members will be along shortly to tell you how federal workers are appropriately paid and to chastise you.

As for me, I am constantly dismayed with how bloated, useless, harmful and overpaid our federal bureaucracy is.

I used to be one for 22 years and loathe everyone one of them...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:10:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well duh, especially if they are in any way shape or form connected to the DoD
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:10:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now, of course, that you've got your retirement.

hypocrite.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:13:06 AM EDT
[#5]
We really don't need FBI, USSS, Park Police, DoD Police, ICE, Postal Inspectors not one of them would rate as working by ARFCOM standards
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:13:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I've worked along side of government employees for 15 years.  Notice how I say government employees and not government workers.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:14:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:20:56 AM EDT
[#8]
This is just a sign of what's wrong with America, and why we are in this deficit crisis.

But most everyone here knows that already. A lot of the Federal employees do as well, but they couldn't care less.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:23:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I didn't read the article. Saying that I think the usps needs to either become competitive or go away.

Most federal installations would be much more efficient if they fired 25-60% of their employees and managed them differently.

As far as pay goes it seems like jobs are either grossly over or under paid. There are not many jobs I can find that have wages that are comparable to private industry.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:24:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And this is why no deficit reduction will take place.  Nobody is willing to eat their share of the sh*t sandwich.

Especially those evil 1%ers... they've only been carrying 40% of the entire federal income tax burden.  They need to do their part.  

The funny thing is that, once you attach a reasonable cash value to their retirement plans, many Federal employees are the 1%.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:26:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Did they stop and think their entire checks are a net LOSS for the economy? They exist at the behest of private industry, which creates wealth. I'm sorry,
stamping approval stamps on cosmetology licenses all day is not "economic growth/activity". Big picture is totally lost on these people.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:27:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:29:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:31:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
$21 an hour?

That's GS-9 step 2 which is pretty unlikely. More likely a GS-7 step 10. Someone who's been doing that job for +20 years. The bitch is that you actually have to be a cleared person to clean the floors in our server room. You civilians can get away with hiring some fresh out-of-the-slammer crack whore but our cleaning ladies have to pass an FBI clearance which disqualifies most of sorts of people who clean toilets for a living. Something that the vast majority of folks here won't understand. They could understand it, they just won't.

I'd be willing to have ex-felons running around in my multi-million dollars data center but the regulations prohibit the practice. My folks are all mandatory reporters meaning they have a three page list of activities that they are required to report themselves on less the be fired/disciplined. The list is long and very inclusive and includes contact of a personal nature with any foreign nationals, travel outside the US, any debt, any contact with law enforcement (including traffic tickets), any drug abuse - including alcoholism, and the list goes on-and-on. Things that a civilian company would likely except the risk on but the federal government doesn't. Again, something most here aren't likely to want to grasp.

Our cleaning crew are cleared civilian contractors. The majority of them are wives of retired military members. The crew lead makes minimum wage plus a couple of bucks, the crew minimum wage plus a buck or two. Our guards are armed so there is a higher wage requirement for the gun qualifications but they too aren't making that $21 dollars in the story.

I have noticed what I call the +2 effect. That is if we in California would hire someone at a GS-7 ($16/hour starting) that at the DC area HQ that exact same position, or even one with a LOWER responsibility would be hired at the GS-9 level ($20/hour starting). Despite that our cost of living is higher than the DC one. When I fly back to HQ they think I'm a GS-15 due to my level of responsibility, my certifications, and my knowledge. No. There are more that ten times the number of the higher GS-13 to GS-15 positions there.

Paul, the USPS does not use the GS pay scale. They have their own scale. PS, Q,  and EAS...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:32:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I hope we are not talking about the military

Free

Quoted:
Did they stop and think their entire checks are a net LOSS for the economy? They exist at the behest of private industry, which creates wealth. I'm sorry,
stamping approval stamps on cosmetology licenses all day is not "economic growth/activity". Big picture is totally lost on these people.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:34:45 AM EDT
[#16]
USPS should be shut down as far as I am concerned.

But I am of the radical opinion that the government shouldn't be allowed to compete in any industry.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:35:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Free

Quoted:

The military costs society money.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:36:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:36:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free

Quoted:

we should abolish it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:36:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Free

Quoted:

Don't worry, the jackasses who think all members of the military are overpaid and rolling in money will be along shortly.  GD never disappoints.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:39:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I was watching an interview with a Democrat congressmen on Fox news a couple day ago and he said they were going to start cutting redundancy in the .gov. I took this to mean they were going to start laying off Fed employees.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:39:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Free

Quoted:

Don't worry, the jackasses who think all members of the military are overpaid and rolling in money will be along shortly. GD never disappoints.

Indeed.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:41:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free

Quoted:

we should abolish it.

Right along with their Cadillac health care and excessive unsustainable pensions.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:43:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hypocrite.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:44:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm an engineer for the Army and I feel that the salaries are appropriate for the positions, at least in my part of the country, IF PEOPLE PULLED THEIR WEIGHT AND DID WORK. I think the government is bloated with excess employees, with no easy way to get rid of them other than natural attrition (retirement, death, or leaving for another job). I'm a recent graudate of the University of Michigan and I'm getting a lower wage than all of my private industry friends. So no, government employees are not overpaid, there's just way fucking too many of them. I find myself asking for work, and not getting any because there just isn't any. Why do we have so many workers then?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:45:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free

Quoted:

we should abolish it.

Right along with their Cadillac health care and excessive unsustainable pensions.

Those motherfuckers.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:46:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free

Quoted:

we should abolish it.
Barry Goldwater said that if you remove paperwork from the Federal Govt it would be a profit making enterprize....but it begs the question...where is Barry Goldwater now?

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:48:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free

Quoted:

Don't worry, the jackasses who think all members of the military are overpaid and rolling in money will be along shortly.  GD never disappoints.

What is worse are those that think the DoD is immune to criticism. The DoD DOES cost society money and it IS necessary, but it doesn't mean it is efficiently running.

I've met plenty of useless people in my time working there. I've met a lot of ass busting people there too.

GD's "omg you can't say a bad thing about DoD spending" is just obtuse.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:51:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:56:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I got a good look at back in the early 90's and it disgusted me then with the waste and overpaid people there... I can't imagine how much more screwed up it is now.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:02:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free

Quoted:

we should abolish it.

Those motherfuckers.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:02:43 AM EDT
[#32]
A disabled Vietnam vet who lost his testicles in combat went to work at the federal govt. His first day he arrived at work everyone found out he had no testes and the boss told him his reporting time would be 2 hours later the all the rest of the employees. Curious, he asked why? The boss told him that everyone here comes in drinks coffee, reads the newspaper and scratches their balls for 2 hours
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:11:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free

Quoted:

What is worse are those that think the DoD is immune to criticism. The DoD DOES cost society money and it IS necessary, but it doesn't mean it is efficiently running.

I've met plenty of useless people in my time working there. I've met a lot of ass busting people there too.

GD's "omg you can't say a bad thing about DoD spending" is just obtuse.

I'm talking about military pay specifically (not DoD civilian pay).  There are jackasses out there convinced that the military is hugely overpaid.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:11:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free

Quoted:

we should abolish it.

Those motherfuckers.

They get laid, too?  WTF?  Put them in the .gov cheese line!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free

Quoted:

we should abolish it.

Those motherfuckers.

They get laid, too?  WTF?  Put them in the .gov cheese line!

fucking freeloading scum.  What do we pay these people for?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:19:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Federal workers, the coalition wrote in a letter, have contributed more than their fair share toward reducing the debt and are the only group that has been targeted so heavily.

Is that a lot?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:23:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a lot?

My wife has 2 degrees and is an accountant at an engineering firm.  She doesn't even make that much.

Yeah, it's a lot.

Maybe it's not a "lot" if you live in a big city, but I would bet my paycheck that private janitors don't make that much, even in NYC.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:25:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a lot?

My wife has 2 degrees and is an accountant at an engineering firm.  She doesn't even make that much.
Yeah, it's a lot.
Maybe it's not a "lot" if you live in a big city, but I would bet my paycheck that private janitors don't make that much, even in NYC.

I was making almost that much as a private janitor in 1993.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:25:52 AM EDT
[#39]
I know its popular to hate .mil civ employees, But to get rid of them you need to do NOTHING! It's brilliant! Since Obama excluded uniformed military from sequestration, all of the cuts come from everything else... clean 10% except.... ooops DoD has been paying salary at a pre sequestration level and is actually overdrawn on its civ pay account should sequestration occur.. so then we will rid ourselves of approximately 13% of those no good DoD civilians IMMEDIATELY. Its a perfect storm of WIN!

Except, you know who they are going to keep. And you know who is going to run. The ones that can get employment on the economy will have had more than enough and move on and the slugs we all like to point at and say "See!!! Him!" will be safe.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:27:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm an engineer for the Army and I feel that the salaries are appropriate for the positions, at least in my part of the country, IF PEOPLE PULLED THEIR WEIGHT AND DID WORK. I think the government is bloated with excess employees, with no easy way to get rid of them other than natural attrition (retirement, death, or leaving for another job). I'm a recent graudate of the University of Michigan and I'm getting a lower wage than all of my private industry friends. So no, government employees are not overpaid, there's just way fucking too many of them. I find myself asking for work, and not getting any because there just isn't any. Why do we have so many workers then?

+1

I work in depot maintenance at Tinker and I wonder what half the people here do.  I understand that the supply chain is complicated, but it seems like we have triple redundancy at most of the logistics positions and shit still doesn't get done.  There is also of course DLA, and it seems like they spend most of their days trying to figure out how to blow up jets and kill people to save 25 cents on a bolt...  

I think we're actually overpaid a little by the standards of where we are, but that is mostly because the cost of living is so low here.  Perhaps merits a COLA adjustment downwards, but the base pay makes sense, especially when you consider that it isn't going to go up for the foreseeable future.  

I don't see why everyone rants and raves about the federal pension; at least for people that have been hired recently it isn't all that great.  Maybe it is for the old-timers who are still on CSRS?  And I doubt like hell it would be there if I worked here all the way to retirement.  (It doesn't matter, I'm getting out of this job even if it kills me.)

The main problem with the federal government as rjbergen pointed out is that it's incredibly difficult to fire people (at least here) for anything other than assaulting coworkers or smoking weed.  There are engineers in my office that are constantly 90+ days overdue on simple paperwork, and nothing happens to them.  

Obviously, for any given observer YMMV.  Reading Paul's posts, his area of fed.gov is wired pretty tight.  Not the case here.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:27:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hypocrite.

thank you for pointing that out....I read down the thread to see what his response was....none....so fuck him.  

"I GOT MINE, BUT YOU CANT HAVE YOURS"

those guys are the worst.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:28:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a lot?

Yeah, it's a lot.

That's interesting because the median salary for a Janitor in NYC is $28,835

28,835 / 12 months / 22 work days / 8 hours = $13.65 per hour

Source (salary.com)

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:29:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The funny thing is that, once you attach a reasonable cash value to their retirement plans, many Federal employees are the 1%.

My DoD level command has about 4000 people working in it. The highest managers are full 0-6 typically from the Navy and Army but with an occasional Air Force bird thrown in there. They're running a multi-nation, multi-million dollar "company" with 4000 technical and highly skilled workers. Those guys are make $140,000 or so dollars a year doing that. The local school principles are making more than that. The local mayor is making three times that. The top GS workers are our degreed engineers, our MBAs and they're making $62 a hour (legal maximum) which sure sounds a lot to those living in their momma's basements or the unemployed but the facts of my industry (television engineering/computer security) are that we're under paid by a bunch of tens of thousands of dollars per year compared to others working 20 miles away for what you people call Hollywood. Spending 20 years with your PE or MBA working for a company and you're only bringing home $130K makes you not successful.

I know the audience here thinks that we all sit in our cubical farms and play solitary waiting for our next pay check but honestly that's completely wrong at my DoD command.

[sarcasm]The overwhelming majority of the folks I work with are those asshole retired military shit-for-brains. They spend their +20 year in goofing off in Iraq and Afghanistan and the jump into a cushy job working for the DoD at 60% of what they could make commuting to Hollywood. Never having done a bit of real work in their lives they fall into federal service with that same attitude. They show up for work hours early sometimes and if shit breaks they'll stay on the job until it gets fixed - I've done 20 and 40 hour "days" when I've been fucking up so. They're so worthless that they do more work that industry standards by 150-200% servicing twice the number of clients that a normal helpdesk to tech ratio for the industry or manage 150% more servers to a higher mandated security standard that industry accepts. Worthless funking military shitheads, most of them with physical disabilities (like me). I have only worked for the one agency out of the 26 nationwide but it's first hand and accurate. [/sarcasm]

I've ranted here on that 1-2% that do not work like the rest of us, those who do the bare minimum of what's required of them. But I understand that goes on in the civilian world too as daddy hires his children to run the business or a union protects it's weakest link while forcing very low levels of production upon management. I visit ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX, Dish and DirecTV broadcast centers and interface with their management and workers ... we're far leaner than they are and our folks have a wider responsibility than the majority of their folks and from the job offers I've received from them, they get paid more. That's cool as our pensions are better but not half as good as say someone who works a state job or a teaching position.

...so why don't they quit and get a job at one of those higher-paying private companies 20-miles down the road, instead of bitching about how much they're currently paid?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:29:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a lot?

Yeah, it's a lot.

Source (salary.com)

I don't live in NYC. I worked at a private hospital in the 'burbs. You really wanna be shocked? Check out salaries for NYC Public School janitors. Some of them make over $110k base and up to $200k with OT.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:30:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a lot?

Yeah, it's a lot.

Source (salary.com)

Do you know what "median" means?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:32:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a lot?

Yeah, it's a lot.

Source (salary.com)

Here's the info for a Sr. Janitor too..

$33,382  / 12 months / 22 work days / 8 hours = $15.81 per hour

So I find it impossible to believe you made over $44,352 per year in 1993 dollars working as a janitor.  That's equivalent to $70,999.11 in 2012 dollars.  No fucking way dude.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:33:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a lot?

Yeah, it's a lot.

Source (salary.com)

So I find it impossible to believe you made over $44,352 per year in 1993 dollars working as a janitor.  That's equivalent to $70,999.11 in 2012 dollars.  No fucking way dude.  

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm64/shtblocker/janitorsalary.jpg

Your wife is the accountant.  You should leave the number crunching to her.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a lot?

Yeah, it's a lot.

Source (salary.com)

I don't live in NYC. I worked at a private hospital in the 'burbs. You really wanna be shocked? Check out salaries for NYC Public School janitors. Some of them make over $110k base and up to $200k with OT.

So a public school is now private??  You're not helping your credibility.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a lot?

Yeah, it's a lot.

Source (salary.com)

There was a news story a few years ago about an NYC Sanitation Department garbage collector with like 25 years of service that was making over $110k just picking up trash bags and throwing them in the truck...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:34:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a lot?

Yeah, it's a lot.

Source (salary.com)

If you look at my post above you'll see there are janitors in the NYC metro area who make over $100k base salary. What I was making as a janitor in a private hospital was much lower than what other janitors were paid in the area.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top