Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 7:28:27 AM EDT
How does it compare to the regular fried turkey?  I am thinking about getting one of these if it is anywhere close to as good as using oil.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Was a thread on this earlier this week maybe.....I use oil....
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Saw those.  I thought frying required oil?  Just looks like it's gonna make things crispy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#3]
My dad swears by his.

I'm still buying peanut oil by the tanker truck and he's grinning at me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one and I love it. I'll never go back to oil again. As far as taste goes I cannot tell a difference.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:37:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought one based on the earlier thread - tested it last weekend with a 3lb eye of round beef roast, outside was crispy and full of flavor, inside was a perfect medium-rare and juicy, just how I wanted it.

Looking forward to trying the turkey with it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#6]
What is the turkey being fried in, if not oil?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:38:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Better then oil if prepped properly. I'll never go back...

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Not a fryer, it is a modified propane oven of sorts.

Just a gimmick.

Smoke em if you got em.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Oil less fryer?
I thought those were called ovens.....
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#10]

I'm not trying to be flippant, but how is this different than the natural gas oven I already have?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:53:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Nothing, it doesn't really fry - it has a circular propane burner that heats the air inside a double walled cooking chamber, radiant heat does the rest.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing, it doesn't really fry - it has a circular propane burner that heats the air inside a double walled cooking chamber, radiant heat does the rest.  

I'm not trying to be a smart ass (I'm dead serious), but isn't that...an oven?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:55:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm not trying to be flippant, but how is this different than the natural gas oven I already have?  

Heat comes from 360 degrees around and under the turkey, cooking it faster and very evenly, leaving a crispy "fried" exterior and a moist juicy interior.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm no rocket surgeon. I don't pretend to understand the hocus pocus behind it, but the shit tastes like it's fried.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really.

In the oven you have a heating element that heats the air and also directly cooks one part of the meat, in this thing you have a big metal can that gets very hot and radiant/infrared heat cooks the meat.

Here's an example of the time difference:

10lb unstuffed turkey - in an over 3 to 3.5 hrs, in this thing 1hr 40mins, cooks much faster leaving a crispy exterior and a moist interior.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not if you're a marketing MBA.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

{SNIP}

Sub,

Yes it is, but with this set up we can free up the oven for cooking other stuff and it gives me something to do outside......!

I have done a turkey and a roast in mine and they both turned out great......

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#19]
To add - I am still skeptical how it will do with the turkey, the beef was really good compared to doing it in the oven, I will find out tomorrow how it handles the turkey.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really.  

In the oven you have a heating element that heats the air and also directly cooks one part of the meat, in this thing you have a big metal can that gets very hot and radiant/infrared heat cooks the meat.

10lb unstuffed turkey - in an over 3 to 3.5 hrs, in this thing 1hr 40mins, cooks much faster leaving a crispy exterior and a moist interior.
Couldn't you just put the meat in a large terra-cotta pot in the oven, and accomplish the same thing? They retain a shit ton of heat, and you're never directly cooking one part of the meat.

Sorry for all the questions. I've just never seen one of these before, and I'm a little bewildered.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Bought one last year around this time.  Have done turkeys. drunk chickens, pork loins. All turned out great
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Interesting.  If I didn't have a full-size roaster I can use on the back porch, I'd consider getting one just so I could make turkey over the summer without the oven heating up the house and fighting with the A/C.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#23]
They work okay, but it isn't the same, it just really isn't as juicy. A Boston butt does well in them though.

Honestly, I'd rather do one in the oven before the oil-less fryer.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really.  

Couldn't you just put the meat in a large terra-cotta pot in the oven, and accomplish the same thing? They retain a shit ton of heat, and you're never directly cooking one part of the meat.

Sorry for all the questions. I've just never seen one of these before, and I'm a little bewildered.

As long as you had a large enough oven, a large enough pot, and the pot was heated evenly and didn't crack

I don't know exactly how it works the way they say, all I know is it made a great beef roast in half the time, and will save my two hours cooking tomorrow.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top