Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/18/2012 10:04:39 PM EDT
No seasoning rituals, just daily use for the last couple years (I even tossed it in my dishwasher once, to prove a point):

ZOMG! Salt, pepper and protein, left over from cooking a steak in a 500F oven! Whatever shall I do?

Melt some butter in that shit, that's what I'll do:

Oh my, that's a fine looking hunk of meat:

Butter melted? Let's add some veggies:

Yeah, I'm an asshole. I poured this all over a premium cut of beef. Fuck it, it's really good:

All done. Cleanup consists of the following:

1. Paper towel, wadded.

2. See #1.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing better than daily use cast iron; we have a shitload of it.

My favorite is a Griswold muffin pan, that my Mom gave me; that thing kicks ass.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#4]
ROFL, who was the guy that made the cast iron hate thread because they couldn't get it figured out?  That thread was hilarious.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
ROFL, who was the guy that made the cast iron hate thread because they couldn't get it figured out?  That thread was hilarious.  

Patchouli.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Whoever it is, don't be too hard on him. There are false prophets who sing the praises of complicated seasoning rituals, and incredibly complex use and care suggestions. All of these predictably lead a man astray.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoever it is, don't be too hard on him. There are false prophets who sing the praises of complicated seasoning rituals, and incredibly complex use and care suggestions. All of these predictably lead a man astray.

I read that last bit as "lead to a man ashtray"....which is the likely result of someone becoming frustrated with cast iron seasoning voodoo magic.

In bacon we trust.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#8]
For my uses, cast iron generally isn't as useful as all steel or PTFE.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Pans, dutch ovens, griddles.. Nothing beats cast iron.

People worry about, over-think trying to clean and care for the things.

It's CAST IRON.. just wipe it out, rinse it, light oil.

It's one of the few things man has invented that will literally last forever and gets better over time.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Sub...

I thought you were a hardcore Paleo guy?

Not using Ghee?

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read that last bit as "lead to a man ashtray"....which is the likely result of someone becoming frustrated with cast iron seasoning voodoo magic.  

In bacon we trust.

Indeed. Here's the super secret Subnet magical ritual (prepare yourselves):

1. Wipe new cheap-ass Lodge cast iron skillet down with whatever oil or fat you have handy. Try your best to dry it off, with paper towels. No matter how hard you try, you'll never get it bone dry. This is a good thing. You have now put a properly light coat of fat/oil on your skillet.

2. Toss this in a 500F oven for...an hour? Somewhere around there. Like your non-choice in fat/oil, the amount of time you bake your skillet means pretty much fuck-all. An hour should be fine. It'll smoke. It's supposed to. When it's done smoking, you're probably done.

3. Steps #1 and #2 are only required on new skillets, or skillets that have been recently media blasted, or some such drastic thing. It's required once, to prevent rust. That's it. No seriously, that's it. That's what it's good for. Rust prevention, and it works. Quit calling this process "seasoning". You're making sure your cast iron won't rust, and that's about it. Make no further claims, at this point.

4. From now on, clean your skillet by wiping it clean with paper towels. If something is still suck, scrape it loose with your METAL spatula (this is vitally important - do NOT use wood or plastic utensils)  - straight and flat edged with a bevel, slightly rounded on the corners. This works best with a solvent, like...butter, olive oil, beef broth, water...something, along with some heat. If this doesn't work, use a little kosher salt to rub it out. If that doesn't work, scrub it out with a plastic brush under scalding hot water and some soap. If that doesn't work, knock it out with an SOS pad. Seriously. You're not going to hurt it. It's a hunk of cast motherfucking iron, not a delicate flower.

5. If you actually needed to use water in #4 (and you probably will, early on), towel it dry, and make sure it's bone dry by putting it on the stove with low heat. Now, rub it down with the fat/oil of your choice. Again, a light coat is all that's needed. Try to dry it off with a paper towel. You'l never get it bone dry, and that's a good thing. You now have a perfect *light* coating of fat/oil. Stick it on a burner, until it smokes for about a minute. Kill the heat, and you're done.

6. Seasoning: This occurs organically, on it's own, as you use the skillet. The cooking surface will become absolutely non-stick in time, if you just plain cook on it daily. It's certainly easier if you adhere to a high fat diet like I do - fatty foods under regular use do a fantastic job of seasoning a skillet, in a short period of time. BTW, I'm not overweight, and my lipid panel looks awesome. But that's for another thread.

In summary:

You only need to bake your skillet once. All this does is prevent rust. Learn it, love it, live it. Non-stick performance happens all on it's own, from repeated use. Metal spatulas are keys to your success  To keep your skillet in tip top shape, don't leave it out all night with food in it. Wipe the entire thing down with the fat/oil that's already in it, or use your own, before putting it away for the night. Either way. It doesn't matter. Keep it covered in a *light* coating of fat/oil. That's really the takeaway from all of this. As you cook with it over time, it'll turn into a rich, black and amazingly slick surface.

TL;DR - Lightly coat your skillet with oil or fat, at all times. Always use a flat metal spatula, with a beveled edge and rounded corners. Quit worrying about it, otherwise. Cast Iron is like Honey Badger. It doesn't give a shit.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP you probably have the same pan as I have.

My sister showed me that all you need do to clean it is boil some water in it for about 5 minutes, then scrub it lightly with an un-soapy chore boy, rinse under hot water, then air dry. No seasoning, no BS. I generally cook with some olive oil anyway and that's all the oil it ever needs.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Looks awesome.  Hand chopped veggies, or from a bag?

I am in love with mine for hash browns, eggs, burgers, and BACON!

Hand chopped, with a Shun 8" chef's knife.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:10:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, it does rawk.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Hey Sub...

I thought you were a hardcore Paleo guy?

Not using Ghee?

Ghee, is just clarified butter (butterfat, without the milk solids).

I am not now, nor have I ever been "hardcore Paleo". The way I eat is absolutely similar in tons of ways, but I don't treat it like a religion. The infinitesimally small amount of shit that's in the milk solids are of no consequence.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:26:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to be one of those guys with crazy seasoning rituals.  My gas bill was sky high from seasoning the pan in the oven for several hours a week.

Now I just use it.  If something nasty gets stuck, I pour a little beer (because that's usually what I'm drinking after dinner) in the pan and scrape with a metal spatula while it heats up.  It rarely takes more than a few seconds.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I used to be one of those guys with crazy seasoning rituals.  My gas bill was sky high from seasoning the pan in the oven for several hours a week.

Now I just use it.  If something nasty gets stuck, I pour a little beer (because that's usually what I'm drinking after dinner) in the pan and scrape with a metal spatula while it heats up.  It rarely takes more than a few seconds.

Amen, brutha. Just USE it.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:26:50 AM EDT
[#20]
TAG... I'm a dumbass city boy from Cali... I have a cast iron but dont REALLY know how to use the bastard
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:29:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine is rough as hell and sticks to everything, I need to polish the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:41:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine is rough as hell and sticks to everything, I need to polish the shit out of it.

Don't overdo the "polishing" part, if you do you'll have problems with the seasoning sticking.  All you need to do is take some of the roughness out, then like Subnet says, just use the dang thing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:52:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Ive got two of them somewhere around here. They were my grandmothers , then my moms. They havent been used in decades. I need to get them out and start using them.

Course I say that every time one of these threads pops up
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:06:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
when you gonna do a no stick omelette video, I don't think it can be done.

Float it in butter, it won't stick

I seasoned my pan ith flax seed oil, and got it slick enough for eggs w/o poaching them in butter, but it's hard to keep it that slick without reseasoning periodically.  It does stay slick enough for most other uses with out much trouble, just wash it while it's still warm.

For eggs I use a nano ceramic pan.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:10:13 AM EDT
[#25]
It's good stuff.

Thanks to Sandy my relatives had all their really old (probably 100+ years) cast iron sitting in salt water for a few days and then rusting for the last few weeks, they were going to throw it out, I'm trying to get them to save it for me so I can fix it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:12:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Fuck yeah!

Cast Iron is the tits. I got a great skillet from the thrift store for like 7 bucks, and it's awesome.

I got an enamel coated dutch oven from a guy on craigslist and that thing is great for making chili, spaghetti sauce, etc.

Yeah, CI is the way to go.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:25:32 AM EDT
[#27]
mine is very rough and sux for cooking eggs... do i need to polish?

how do you polish?

otherwise...im bout tired of my skillet
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:35:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Just don't videocook drunk and scrape up the little black cruft on yer eggies.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:41:14 AM EDT
[#29]
I cook bacon every morning in mine because, well, I eat bacon every morning.  That's more than enough to keep the pan non stick.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:42:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Gotta love old fashioned cookware.  My Wagner No. 10 and a #1 crock.

Rock out with your crock out.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:46:12 AM EDT
[#31]
They make rocks from cast iron?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:49:53 AM EDT
[#32]
There is a bit of mystery on here about cast iron cookery.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:00:06 AM EDT
[#33]
We bought a glass cooktop stove a few years back, and I did not realize at the time that cast iron might scratch it. Heck, I wasn't using my grandmother's cast iron at the time for cooking anything but cornbread.

After learning of the Alton Brown steak technique, I want to use it for everything. I'll frequently cook on the sideburner of the gas grill outside just to use the stuff. I'm thinking of just scratching the damn cooktop and cooking the way I want.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:10:16 AM EDT
[#34]
We just scrub ours out with some SOS-type pad, without soap, under scalding water. A little oil, low heat on the stove and its ready to be put away.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:13:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We bought a glass cooktop stove a few years back, and I did not realize at the time that cast iron might scratch it. Heck, I wasn't using my grandmother's cast iron at the time for cooking anything but cornbread.

After learning of the Alton Brown steak technique, I want to use it for everything. I'll frequently cook on the sideburner of the gas grill outside just to use the stuff. I'm thinking of just scratching the damn cooktop and cooking the way I want.

Damn, Ive got a glasstop......
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:38:23 AM EDT
[#36]
They say not to use it on glass top stove, but I wanted to so I said fuck it and have been doing so for a year now.
I'm just careful to not slide it on the stove. Just picking straight up or set it straight down.  YMMV

Btw, after having a glass top I don't want one again.  Too hard to clean and worrying about cast iron or canning on it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:43:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They say not to use it on glass top stove, but I wanted to so I said fuck it and have been doing so for a year now.
I'm just careful to not slide it on the stove. Just picking straight up or set it straight down.  YMMV

Btw, after having a glass top I don't want one again.  Too hard to clean and worrying about cast iron or canning on it.

Also makes it hard to cook during power outages...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:48:31 AM EDT
[#38]
I love my cast iron skillet. It makes a mean steak.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

WIN! right there.

I've used that method a few times, meh, it's OK in a pinch.
NOTHING, but nothing beats a proper outdoor wood grilled steak!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:34:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Gotta love old fashioned cookware.  My Wagner No. 10 and a #1 crock.

Rock out with your crock out.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5891/dsc0623f.jpg

Nice!  I just cleaned up my grandmother's old Wagner Ware #8.  It was all black and caked in grease and carbon.  A few applications of oven cleaner and an initial seasoning and it looks like new!  It seems like it conducts heat better than my Lodge.  Not sure if it's because I just stripped this one or if it's made out of some magical super iron.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Question...MY large one gets used a LOT, it's GTG..my smaller ones I don't use often, I seasoned once I got them, not they have this sticky film over them. I have tried re-season with no luck...
Options?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've been using ours on the glass top for a year now, no scratches.

Just use common sense (don't be abusive)
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We've been using ours on the glass top for a year now, no scratches.

Just use common sense (don't be abusive)

Yep.

This thread reminds me, I need to go get a bigger skillet.  The 10" I have just ain't cutting it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Same here, just use it and that's it.  Difficult cleanup problems are made easy by just filling it with water and leaving it on the stove.  Then just wipe it clean.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
when you gonna do a no stick omelette video, I don't think it can be done.

Float it in butter, it won't stick

I seasoned my pan ith flax seed oil, and got it slick enough for eggs w/o poaching them in butter, but it's hard to keep it that slick without reseasoning periodically.  It does stay slick enough for most other uses with out much trouble, just wash it while it's still warm.

For eggs I use a nano ceramic pan.

Don't wash it. All you need to do is wipe it down to clean it. I like to save my bacon grease in a jar and poor a little bit on the pan whenever I make eggs. While the pan is heating up I add salt and pepper. It makes the best eggs and the pan is slick as snot.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't overdo the "polishing" part, if you do you'll have problems with the seasoning sticking.  All you need to do is take some of the roughness out, then like Subnet says, just use the dang thing.

I tried that with mine and got it smooth. It worked of for a while now everything sticks if you don't keep it moving or deep fry.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#49]
This thread reminds me of:
A: "1911's are awesome " threads

B: "Let's convince ourselves that Mitt Romney is awesome!" Threads

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This thread reminds me of:
A: "1911's are awesome " threads

B: "Let's convince ourselves that Mitt Romney is awesome!" Threads

One of these is not like the other....  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top