Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2012 12:30:09 PM EDT
Ok guys I've got a max of $400 bucks and momma needs a laptop, she went back to school and is taking night classes to finish up another degree. All she needs is something simple so she's not trapped down in the basement tied to the desktop all weekend or something we can have camping so were not stuck in town due to her homework. She is able to download all the full Microsoft word and other programs through the college being a student so I can put the whole 400 towards the computer rather than needing software . It will be for tying papers and doing bills and me surfing the web and arf.com. I would like to download my.garmin gps stuff as well but nothing crazy like gaming. I'm  very puter dumb and need any help you guys.have I'm hoping to.not have to do the black Friday crap unless I really need to to get the most bang for my buck by have found this asus laptop from bestbuy but I'm.not sure.if its all.that great please help..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+15.6%26%2334%3B+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/5768374.p?id=1218692161951&skuId=5768374
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#1]
pics of MILF?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Google Chromebook
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
pics of MILF?

It was the "bang for my buck" phrase that intrigued you, wasn't it?

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
pics of MILF?

Lol I can't even hotlink a best buy ad and you expect pics
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Google Chromebook

Do these run microsoft office? If so, I'm going to buy one right now...
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Google Chromebook

I Like the look  of those as well but like I say  I'm clueless if that will run the Microsoft stuff as well
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Tiger direct or newegg, office max

I would not buy jack shit from worst buy.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Google 'Amazon' & 'laptop' together. Side menu go to price. type in your price range.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm posting on a Dell I got last year....stayed up until just after midnight and bought it from the comfort of the couch.....about 350 with shipping. Has everything she will need.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I just bought this one and I have no complaints.

Lenovo - IdeaPad 15.6" Laptop $299.99
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys. I forgot she will also taking a photo class for fun and will be using PhotoShop on this as well will these entry laptops be ok running that as well. Any specific reasoning on not using best buy we don't have one here and only ordered from them one time so not up on the bad or good of them.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Meh... Best Buy isn't bad if you need it right now.  I'm lucky enough to have a TigerDirect.com store in my area, so I usually go there and I haven't bought anything in BB in months except for a router which I needed the same day.

I have an Acer Aspire that I use for work(I work remotely, use IM, run VOiP applications and Citrix, and at times use Word.)  I also use it when I'm not working for basic video editing, and of course, web surfing.

Similar to mine, which I got last year around this time

Mine has an Intel processor in it, but it hasn't given me any hiccups at all, outside of some minor times where the screen has shut off and I got a "video card cooling" message but that hasn't happened in forever.

I had a Thinkpad back in the day, before IBM went Lenovo. Was a great laptop.

Honestly though if I had to do it over again I am INCREDIBLY satisfied with my Acer.  Should be fine for what your wife needs.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you that helps a lot
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Bought a good basic Windows laptop (Sony Vaio Y series) Last December for $400 on Amazon. Highly recommended by several friends when I put the question on Facebook. It's a 12" screen, but that's what I wanted.

I ordered it at 10 pm and had it at 4 pm the next day. Two words: Amazon Prime. Free two day shipping and I only had to cough up an addition $3.99 to get it here next day.

Works great.

ETA: I don't use MS Office, although that might be necessary for your wife's schooling. I use LibreOffice (successor to Open Office), which is free and works just fine with MS Office file types. I sometimes work from home and the spreadsheets go back and forth just fine.

For security/anti-virus, get MS Security Essentials FREE off MS website.

I didn't spend a dime on software for my computer.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

damn that is cheap! how's the screen quality?

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

damn that is cheap! how's the screen quality?  

It looks fine to me. Like I said I have no complaints and would buy it again. It has Windows 8, though. Remember the words "Classic Shell".
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Google Chromebook

No.

They will run the google apps suite.  Which may or may not meet your needs.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#18]
You might try finding out if Office 365 will run properly in Chrome.  That might be an option.  I've never tried it, so I can't say offhand.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Google Chromebook

No.    

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I recommend Lenovo or Acer

keep an eye on slickdeals

i bought an Acer from microcenter for $250, Core i3 6GB RAM, 15.6" display, full keyboard, HDMI out
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ok guys I've got a max of $400 bucks and momma needs a laptop, she went back to school and is taking night classes to finish up another degree. All she needs is something simple so she's not trapped down in the basement tied to the desktop all weekend or something we can have camping so were not stuck in town due to her homework. She is able to download all the full Microsoft word and other programs through the college being a student so I can put the whole 400 towards the computer rather than needing software . It will be for tying papers and doing bills and me surfing the web and arf.com. I would like to download my.garmin gps stuff as well but nothing crazy like gaming. I'm  very puter dumb and need any help you guys.have I'm hoping to.not have to do the black Friday crap unless I really need to to get the most bang for my buck by have found this asus laptop from bestbuy but I'm.not sure.if its all.that great please help..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+15.6%26%2334%3B+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/5768374.p?id=1218692161951&skuId=5768374

http://www.dell.com/us/soho/p/inspiron-15-3520/pd

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#21]
+1, very highly recommended by computer geeks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You might try finding out if Office 365 will run properly in Chrome.  That might be an option.  I've never tried it, so I can't say offhand.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Google Chromebook

No.    

Personally, I don't trust Microsoft's cloud service offering.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top