Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2002 3:13:29 PM EDT
Hello any fellow washington-ions who are probably reading this :)  here's my question:

I am hoping to go shooting this weekend in eastern washington (wenantchee), and we want to shoot in remote area on our own..(not some range).. As i've never done this before, i'm not sure on the laws on this? someone has told me as long as its 5 (maybe it was 10) miles away from residental area's/freeways then its legal? I just want to make sure so a sheriff doesnt show up and haul us off [=D]..

So if anyone knows the laws or a place i can check up on them i'd be greatful! Also if you know any good places to shoot in the area that wont anyone else there.. we are going to be in the dryden area..
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#1]
As I understand it, as long as you are not within city limits, and the county does not prohobit discharge of forearms, them you are okay. BUT DO NOT RELY UPON WHAT I HAVE JUST SAID. I am not a lawyer, and I do not play on on TV, try goin to [url]www.wa.gov[/url], ask George a few shooting questions, and you'll get the RCW on it. Also, call up Wenatchee Police and the County police there and ask them. If they say everything's cool, ask them to fax you a copy of what they have just said on an Agency Letterhead and keep that with you when you shoot.

Hope this helps
Uhlek
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#2]
On YOUR land or someone elses? If it's not your's, you better make SURE it's cope. with the land owner!

-Justin
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, no matter what, you are reasponeable for your bullets! Make sure there is NO WAY it can go past you backstop, ricochet, go someware you can't see, and hit someone you can't see. I.E. don't shoot into the brush, if you can't see EVERYTHING.

That said, that's how I shoot here in Oregon.  Some elder neighboors have a lot of property that combined makes a complete vally and hill sides that is our shooting ground. But, we only shoot on the parts that we can see clear to the backstop on (500 ft hill), and we walk the property before shooting to verify they are no tresspassers anyware the bullets may ricochette.

Also, the owners are happy to let us shoot there. . . we don't shoot on just anybody's property. We have their prermission, and blessing.

Later,

Justin
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Well we only have about 3 acre's out there.. with neighbors so i'm sure its probably against the law on our own property. I was hoping to find some public land or what not that doesnt have any houses near by for miles..
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I do not believe it would be against the LAW just because you are on only three acres.  It may however not be safe.  As long as you are outside the city limits and have a safe area to shoot on private property (yours or whoever elses as long as you have their permission) I believe that it is ok.    
If you have any doubts whatsoever, as mentioned above, just call the local sheriffs office.  They should be more than willing to help you.  It should be no problem since you are on the gun friendly side of the state.  Have fun![50]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top