Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2002 7:33:34 AM EDT
Due to his Alzheimer, they are going to use the law to try and claim he's a threat and take his guns away!

A-holes!
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:39:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
"They" are?  The cads.  Gotta link?
View Quote

"They" are the gubermint of Kalifornistan.

No links yet, just heard it on talk radio a couple minutes ago.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:40:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:42:42 AM EDT
[#4]
It's spelled "Alzheimer's".
I don't beleive that the condition would ever warrant removal of any firearms.  It is just wishfull thinking on the part of the left.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's spelled "Alzheimer's".
I don't beleive that the condition would ever warrant removal of any firearms.  It is just wishfull thinking on the part of the left.
View Quote

...and here I even did a spell check...clicked the wrong button to save it though...

YES, his condition is being presumed to make him a danger, and by law the physicians MUST turn him into to the local prosecutor.  From there, it goes to court where a judge will probably "play it safe" and remove his weapons "for his own protection".

Heston better move RFN!
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's the link, and the story.  It appears that the NRA supported this law.

------------------------------------------------

http://slate.msn.com/?id=2069253

Will Charlton Heston Have To Give Up His Guns?
By Bryan Curtis
Posted Friday, August 9, 2002, at 3:44 PM PT

Actor Charlton Heston announced today that he has symptoms of Alzheimer's disease. Heston is the president of the National Rifle Association and owns firearms. If he is diagnosed with full-blown Alzheimer's, will he have to give up his guns?

Yes. This section of California state law requires that anyone who represents a threat to others because of a mental disorder or illness can't own a firearm. The state also denies gun ownership to those suffering from any kind of grave illness. For Heston to lose his Second Amendment rights, a court would have to find that he has a grave illness or represents such a threat.

Here's how the process would work: If Heston's doctor suspects him to be unfit, California law compels the doctor to tell the local district attorney's office. The DA would then file a motion to revoke Heston's gun ownership rights. A judge would make the final call, after consulting with Heston's physician and, in most cases, another doctor of the judge's choosing.

If a judge found Heston unfit, the actor would have two options: surrender his guns to authorities or legally transfer their ownership to someone outside his house. (Giving the guns to his wife might still put them within his reach.) Heston's name would then be added to the state's Armed Prohibited Persons File—a list of California residents who bought their firearms legally but have since been judged unfit to keep them. That means Heston would be prevented from legally purchasing another firearm. The bill creating the no-gun file went into effect Jan. 1 and was initially supported by the NRA.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, who's gonna stop 'em? The NRA?
nope.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#8]
He needs to sell em to his wife.  No problem.  That is what Liddy did when he was about to lose his rights.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#9]
This has been covered in here already.  Look down a page or two.

Or look [url=volokh.blogspot.com/]here[/url] for a legal rebuttal to the [i]Slate[/i] story.

Heston is [i]not[/i] under legal assault to strip him of his rights.  [i]Slate's[/i] interpretation of the law is a bit premature.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree with the rebuttal in the link in KBaker's post.  The analysis in the Slate article is pretty feeble:

The state also denies gun ownership to those suffering from any kind of grave illness.
View Quote

There just isn't any authority for this conclusion at all.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Well now we will get to see if CH lives up to his "Out of my cold dead hands" quote.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Repeat thread [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=139009[/url]

But my position still hasn't changed from that thread....

[i]It's just karma coming back around to roost. After all, there's no practical sporting purpose for an AK-47 so no US citizen should have the right to own one. REMEMBER?!?!?

Fuck that old apologist. He was always just a figurehead to try and get the older mass population of Baby Boomers involved. I hope they take his guns away from him so at least before he dies, he can know what it feels like to be a disarmed civilian wishing for one of those AK-47s.
[/i]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#13]
i already sent the bastards that wrote the article a piece of my mind. haven't gotten a response yet.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#15]
iv'e said it before, and ill say it again..

i don't feel a damn thing for him.. how many years has he compromised our rights away?
ironic that one of those compromises should bite him in the ass..  hope he likes the life he's earned..
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well now we will get to see if CH lives up to his "Out of my cold dead hands" quote.
View Quote

Exactley what I was thinking.  And when "they" come to deprive him of his property and freedom, and the Bradyites smirk and giggle, I wonder if "Moses" will find a good reason to own a AK47...
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Please folks, I'd rather not be judged for my dedication to the RKBA when I'm 72 years of age and in rapidly failing health.

So cut our own 'Chuck' some slack, if ya'll don't mind.

Just remember the bruising that he gave Sarah Brady on occasion, and being one of the most outspoken Gun Rights folks in Hollywood!

And don't think that Sarah Brady and the Hollywood Left aren't giggling over this new development.

They haven't heard such great news since Pres. Ronald Reagan was diagnosed with Alzheimers!

Eric The('DamnDirtyApe!')Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#18]
ETH... I disagree. I don't mean to denigrate the poor man in his condition of flagging health. But in my book, either you are on board the RKBA bus or you are not. There's no room for grey area anymore. Not in these trying political times. If gun owners would quit trying to appease and politicize, maybe we could all stand together for a single, common idea called the 2nd Amendment's unconditional guarantee to the INDIVIDUAL'S right to keep an bear arms. Not sporting arms. Not target practice arms. ARMS... like it's written on the parchment.

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#19]
okay here is where we draw the line: no one with alzheimers should be packing a peashooter.

i took my grandma's gun away from her, took it apart and threw the pieces in different directions in a wooded area on her (former) land. (this was in northern california - i wasn't about to go turn in a likely unregistered pistol...). she was paranoid as hell, thought the DMV, her doctor, her daily helper, and several other people including myself were in a conspiracy against her. and lots of alheimer's laden geriatrics get that way. she would have used the gun if she'd been able to find it... luckily i did first.

by the way the next time i see "cali" or "kali" i'm going to puke. my family goes back about five generations on both sides in california, and i don't call it that. (and somehow i ended up in detroit. blah.)

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
ETH... I disagree. I don't mean to denigrate the poor man in his condition of flagging health. But in my book, either you are on board the RKBA bus or you are not. There's no room for grey area anymore. Not in these trying political times. If gun owners would quit trying to appease and politicize, maybe we could all stand together for a single, common idea called the 2nd Amendment's unconditional guarantee to the INDIVIDUAL'S right to keep an bear arms. Not sporting arms. Not target practice arms. ARMS... like it's written on the parchment.
View Quote

While I quite agree that there will be a bright and shining dividing line in the very near future, I have problems with some of our folks jumping on a man that's on our side, and doing it when he's down.

[b]We, the defenders of the RKBA, have got to be the only 'army' that I know of that shoots its own wounded![/b]

Well, maybe the Bolsheviks were right and you don't need numbers, just dedication to propel a movement foward. It worked in the nihilistic situation that characterized Russia between the two Revolutions.

Here in the present-day United States, we need numbers, because, for better or worse, we are still a representative democracy, also known as a republic!

People vote and we need them to vote for us. If we pitch too many over the side, no one will wish to come aboard our boat!

Eric The(Reasonable)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
okay here is where we draw the line: no one with alzheimers should be packing a peashooter.

i took my grandma's gun away from her, took it apart and threw the pieces in different directions in a wooded area on her (former) land. (this was in northern california - i wasn't about to go turn in a likely unregistered pistol...). she was paranoid as hell, thought the DMV, her doctor, her daily helper, and several other people including myself were in a conspiracy against her. and lots of alheimer's laden geriatrics get that way. she would have used the gun if she'd been able to find it... luckily i did first.

by the way the next time i see "cali" or "kali" i'm going to puke. my family goes back about five generations on both sides in california, and i don't call it that. (and somehow i ended up in detroit. blah.)

View Quote

geez, you could have at least sold it in one of those Kali buyback programs for a hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
by the way the next time i see "cali" or "kali" i'm going to puke. ... (and somehow i ended up in detroit. blah.)

View Quote

You too, eh? Orange County to Detroit. [BD]
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 12:26:57 AM EDT
[#23]
the whole story is such BULLSHIT

the author is just taking cheap shots at the heston, the NRA and us. even should heston be diagnosed with alzheimers it doesnt mean he is incapable of using guns correctly, same with using a car -- it would depend on the degree of the disease.

its NOT for the courts or any legal asshole to decide when heston should no longer be around guns AND DRIVE A CAR or operate other things that are dangerous to him, its up to the family and no one else.

of course the asshole who wrote the article doesnt mention driving cars or operating a kitchen stove.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top