Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2002 4:24:29 AM EDT
[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20020812/ap_on_fe_st/c__o_kane_1&e=1[/url]

Cop In Trouble Over Name
Mon Aug 12, 7:51 AM ET

EL PASO, Texas (AP) - A police officer's name nearly cost her her job.

The problem was the way El Paso officer Christine Lynn O'Kane's name appeared on her identification tag and e-mails: C. O'KANE.

"When you put it together, it spells 'cocaine,'" said police spokesman Al Velarde.

O'Kane resigned from the El Paso Police Department on April 6, 2000, to take care of her ailing mother, the El Paso Times reported. She had a good service record, and her work file included a recommendation that she be reinstated if she reapplied in the future.

But when O'Kane reapplied with the department months later, she found it no longer supported her reinstatement.

Police management cited the "inappropriate" use of her name as the basis for their denial.

O'Kane had been using "C. O'Kane" in e-mails including a goodbye message to co-workers she sent in April 2000.

"In reading the (e-mail) header, it is clear that the intention was to refer to the drug cocaine," states an April 2, 2001, e-mail from Assistant Police Chief Richard Wiles to the department's personnel director.

It later continues: "It placed the department in a position of being subjected to public ridicule and disrespect."

O'Kane appealed her case to the Civil Service Commission on May 24, 2001, and the commission supported her position.

She was rehired in September 2001 and now works as a police officer in El Paso's Lower Valley.

Since being rehired, O'Kane switched to her maiden name, Whitaker.

-------End of artical-------

fckin stupid buracratic BS! C. O'Kane.... sheesh proof that even highups can be stupid.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#1]
While I think it's moronic for the department not to hire her because of her name, she could have just signed her e-mails, Christine O'Kane. That seems like it would have been easier than going back to her maiden name.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
While I think it's moronic for the department not to hire her because of her name, she could have just signed her e-mails, Christine O'Kane. That seems like it would have been easier than going back to her maiden name.
View Quote

It was also on her uniform nametag, which is what most citizens would use as a primary source of ID for an officer in uniform.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm sorry, but this is RIDICULOUS!.

"In reading the (e-mail) header, it is clear that the intention was to refer to the drug cocaine," states an April 2, 2001, e-mail from Assistant Police Chief Richard Wiles to the department's personnel director.
View Quote

Really? So the police department hired Miss Cleao to read O'Kane's mind, eh?

It later continues: "It placed the department in a position of being subjected to public ridicule and disrespect."
View Quote

Oh, yeah. Like being this stupid is going to pole-vault your credibility straight into the stratosphere...

View Quote

Too bad. Would've been great to have her spit in their eye. I really thought the police were better than this. Guess the old "O-4 Lobotomy" rule applies equally to the police as it does to the armed forces.

Edited to add:

[sarcasm]You know, Whitaker isn't any good, either, because if you take out the hate-filled, gun-nut reference "AK" from her name, you end up with "WHITER", which obviously proves she a racist bitch...[/sarcasm]

Jesus, WHAT IDIOTS!
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]
"When the party is done, and you wanna ride on - C. O'Kane"

Na-na na na, na-na-na.

[BD]

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#5]
She could have always signed with her initials. I do. My e-mails simply end with "-JRH". Hers: "-COK".

I need to ask the HR department if that would have been considered sexual harassment.

BTW, I think it really sucks that she had to go through that simply because of her name. What a bunch of morons.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Unbelievable!

Don't they have better things to worry about than this?

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20020812/ap_on_fe_st/c__o_kane_1&e=1[/url]

Cop In Trouble Over Name
Mon Aug 12, 7:51 AM ET

EL PASO, Texas (AP) - A police officer's name nearly cost her her job.

The problem was the way El Paso officer Christine Lynn O'Kane's name appeared on her identification tag and e-mails: C. O'KANE.

"When you put it together, it spells 'cocaine,'" said police spokesman Al Velarde.

O'Kane resigned from the El Paso Police Department on April 6, 2000, to take care of her ailing mother, the El Paso Times reported. She had a good service record, and her work file included a recommendation that she be reinstated if she reapplied in the future.

But when O'Kane reapplied with the department months later, she found it no longer supported her reinstatement.

Police management cited the "inappropriate" use of her name as the basis for their denial.

O'Kane had been using "C. O'Kane" in e-mails including a goodbye message to co-workers she sent in April 2000.

O'Kane appealed her case to the Civil Service Commission on May 24, 2001, and the commission supported her position.

She was rehired in September 2001 and now works as a police officer in El Paso's Lower Valley.

-------End of artical-------

fckin stupid buracratic BS! C. O'Kane.... sheesh proof that even highups can be stupid.
View Quote

I was a police officer for 25 years and retired in 97.  My theory for a long time was as follows:  You make Sgt., you get a lobotomy, by the time you make chief, they take the entire brain.  The higher up in rank you go, the dumber you become and the less common sense you have.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Doesn't anyone know how to spell in that PD?
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Hi, I'm Matt N. Hokane. Please don't confuse my name with pot and cocaine. It gives me a bad rep. Ta ta for now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#12]
reminds me of my high school teacher
Anita Dewbey
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder how T. J. Hooker managed to keep his job. [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top