Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/12/2012 12:31:38 PM EDT
Ok. Pretty simple. A stargate, or terra nova type doohicky was invented/ discovered.  They have found a identical earth, exactly like ours, with the time line approx 1700ad. There are no humans there, just animals. your going to wind up in north america,

You are allowed to take anything you want, hell the gov is subsidizing it, you get $50,000 bucks for supplies, plus donated military survival gear,. they forgive all your debt, and you have to get the fuck out.  Its a one way trip, like terra nova, impossible to return. They sent a probe thru, and then a guy with a radio. everything seems legit.

You can take anything you want, guns, horses, ammo fort, . ( such as drive a deuce and a half, towing a tractor, with the wife following in the suburban, with all household goods, wood stove, solar panels, etc.  They also have promised you can claim any 100 acre chunk of ground you want, and its yours.

Would you go, and live a more primitive life, ( no internet etc), and hard work, as you must farm, and hunt, but you get some modern gear, tractor etc.  and yes, they are bringing in gear to make bio diesel from crops, and drill for oil, so a civilization would start pretty quickly.  also, modern drugs will be sent thru, until a fledgling pharmacutical lab can get up and running.

no promises on government. your in the first group to go.  you can make the world as you see fit, if you can get others to agree..... or at least freedom for a few generations.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  

I'd also camp out by the 'doorway' and put a bullet in the head of every bleeding heart liberal and PETA type that came through.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn't be primitive for long.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I would go to get away from them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wouldn't be primitive for long.

take a very long time to populate another entire planet.  be as primitive as you wanted .
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes.  

I'd also camp out by the 'doorway' and put a bullet in the head of every bleeding heart liberal and PETA type that came through.

You wouldn't have to bother.  Big govt loving lunatics aren't typically big "colonizers".  Too much freedom for their taste.

Hell yes I'd go.  This place doesn't seem to be getting much better.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Gone in az heart beat.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#7]
My decision was made a long time ago... I just need a date and a destination.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#8]
If they can send radio transmissions back, you'll have Internet.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep and I 'd advocate bringing as much military/militia capacity as possible as well as the means of production of arms and armor.  An independence movement would spring up quickly, as it should.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I would go in a heart beat as well. Get well set up with gear for long term survival, and self sufficiency , wander off and find a nice 100 acres, to make a small farm, fish, hunt. the hard work would more than be offset by the lack of bullshit..
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Where do I sign up because I would be there with my family in a heart beat. The wife and I where big Terra Nova fans and both said we would do it if it was possible.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Who in the hell voted no??
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Without modern medicine, infrastructure, etc ... no fucking way.

I aint about to be the first dude to contract whatever weird off-world virus/bacteria/ etc.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#14]
i actually read a book about this. a ww2 vet, in approx 1946, discovered a portal to another world, basically pre columbus. totally unpopulated united states, well except for indians. he wandered thru, complete with m1 garand, and 1911, and became the founder. he went back with his buddies, mined gold, using historical maps, and then started up a secret country.  pretty good story, but that was not a one way trip. they did end up losing their gate after about 70 years of colonization, but by then, they had airports, factories, and the ability to build, or rebuild most of the things they had purchased and smuggled thru their secret portal.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I aint about to be the first dude to contract whatever weird off-world virus/bacteria/ etc.

This is the sticking point - there needs to be some doctors with equipment.  Without any modern medicine or antibiotics it could be a short trip.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd spend the $50k on barter items. Remember, most of the people who got rich on the gold strikes (ANY  gold strike) were the merchants, not the miners.

I'd stock lots of "luxury" items: tobacco, alcohol, etc. (eta and COFFEE, of course! , plus the means of producing more. Lots of "common" tools: knives, axes, etc. Quality stuff, not crap, nor excessively expensive stuff.

Reloading equipment. Black powder guns and stuff: BP is (supposedly) not difficult to make.

I'd have a blacksmith forge, and tools; then either learn the trade or hire someone. I'd have plenty of scrap metal, too.

I'd learn how to mine iron and do so, then build a smelter.

I'd have computer files for many basic skills, i.e. homesteading stuff. I'd set up my own Internet so my neighbors could read this stuff.

And yes, I'd have neighbors. I've tried living alone in the desert, and even though I'm not a very sociable guy, I can't stand it!

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#18]
If there are dinosaurs, hell-to-the-fuck-no.

Regular wilflife? Fuck yeah!

I'd sure miss my blow dryer and shopping, though

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#19]
XCR, you can star in my cabaret, where I'll be serving my homemade rotgut.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If there are dinosaurs, hell-to-the-fuck-no.

Regular wilflife? Fuck yeah!

I'd sure miss my blow dryer and shopping, though

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bgHfQ1NjDQA/Ti4LHDLxuQI/AAAAAAAACig/xnDFJ__ds3o/s320/spaceballs+hair+dryer

Packing List:

Guns

Ammo

Solar Cells

Batteries

Hair Dryer

Shoe Store

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, I would

Quoted:

I am sure that you had some 16th and 17th century equivalents in the Old World.
It took a certain kind of person to be willing to go to the frontier away from amenities.
It formed the American character and weeded out many of the weak who thought it would be a walk in the park to quick riches.......
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Exactly why I voted no. The advancements that are happening right now are too important, IMO, to give up for a little more peace and quiet. But then again I am a scientist.

Although, I guess I could become a leading scientist there.

Damn it. Now i'm not sure
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm sorry but when you said Stargate I thought of

Yhea.  I'll be in my bunk...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
i actually read a book about this. a ww2 vet, in approx 1946, discovered a portal to another world, basically pre columbus. totally unpopulated united states, well except for indians. he wandered thru, complete with m1 garand, and 1911, and became the founder. he went back with his buddies, mined gold, using historical maps, and then started up a secret country.  pretty good story, but that was not a one way trip. they did end up losing their gate after about 70 years of colonization, but by then, they had airports, factories, and the ability to build, or rebuild most of the things they had purchased and smuggled thru their secret portal.

Name of said book?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Name of said book?

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#26]
No. Because after the liberals have their way social engineering the shit out of it. Their paradise would be a nightmare.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No. Because after the liberals have their way social engineering the shit out of it. Their paradise would be a nightmare.

Just don't tell 'em.  Leave 'em to suffer on this rock.  We got our own.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Name of said book?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/Stir0451459083.jpg

Thank you, I will picking this up at my college library to read. I'm a closet history buff.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#29]
If they can send us through, I'll assume that anything I order from the Internet will be forwarded.

So, I'll set up a trust account to pay my recurring orders for coffee, contacts and a few other things, and I'm in.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I have no thyroid, and need a constant supply of synthetic thyroid hormone to survive..

So yes, I would start a pharmaceutical company on the new world.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ok. Pretty simple. A stargate, or terra nova type doohicky was invented/ discovered.  They have found a identical earth, exactly like ours, with the time line approx 1700ad. There are no humans there, just animals. your going to wind up in north america,

You are allowed to take anything you want, hell the gov is subsidizing it, you get $50,000 bucks for supplies, plus donated military survival gear,. they forgive all your debt, and you have to get the fuck out.  Its a one way trip, like terra nova, impossible to return. They sent a probe thru, and then a guy with a radio. everything seems legit.

You can take anything you want, guns, horses, ammo fort, . ( such as drive a deuce and a half, towing a tractor, with the wife following in the suburban, with all household goods, wood stove, solar panels, etc.  They also have promised you can claim any 100 acre chunk of ground you want, and its yours.

Would you go, and live a more primitive life, ( no internet etc), and hard work, as you must farm, and hunt, but you get some modern gear, tractor etc.  and yes, they are bringing in gear to make bio diesel from crops, and drill for oil, so a civilization would start pretty quickly.  also, modern drugs will be sent thru, until a fledgling pharmacutical lab can get up and running.

no promises on government. your in the first group to go.  you can make the world as you see fit, if you can get others to agree..... or at least freedom for a few generations.

Does this PCS cover household goods?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#33]
It's just me. I'd go.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Yes.  

in this case im in

and can I bunk with Amanda Tapping

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm in.  How much of my stuff gets to come with me?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm in, but I'm laying claim to a hell of a lot more than 100 acres.  I'm not even thinking in acres, I'll take sections, a couple thousand.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm sorry but when you said Stargate I thought of
http://mimg.ugo.com/201101/1/6/6/162661/cuts/samantha-carter_480x480.jpg

Yhea.  I'll be in my bunk...

Beat me too it
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#38]
As long as my dogs can come then I'm in.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thank you, I will picking this up at my college library to read. I'm a closet history buff.

Its fictional
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Only if there were dinosaurs.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Most of us have absolutely no idea how difficult it is to produce the most basic of modern goods. An off world scenario like this would quickly deteriorate into living as a peasant. Within a short few years, supplies and clothing would be at a critical level. Medicines would be impossible, along with the research to combat new problems. It would suck horribly.

Ever try living "off grid" for any length of time? That's not easy with the best modern society has to offer. It's impossible when you must be fully self sufficient. Simple heating requirements could easy eat up most of your free time.

Remember, half of the early pilgrims died. And not from starvation.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#42]
absofuckinglutely!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Most of us have absolutely no idea how difficult it is to produce the most basic of modern goods. An off world scenario like this would quickly deteriorate into living as a peasant. Within a short few years, supplies and clothing would be at a critical level. Medicines would be impossible, along with the research to combat new problems. It would suck horribly.

Ever try living "off grid" for any length of time? That's not easy with the best modern society has to offer. It's impossible when you must be fully self sufficient. Simple heating requirements could easy eat up most of your free time.

Remember, half of the early pilgrims died. And not from starvation.

That all depends on how many producers and innovators with how much technology come with you.

If a few arfcom survivor types with their band then things would be pretty primitive but if you're talking 10,000 people with the right mix of brains, adventure and git-er-done attitude then anything could be done.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If they can send radio transmissions back, you'll have Internet.

Mesh net for local Internet as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#45]
The thing to do would be to get a group of friends so you could pool your gear.

I would go. If everybody got an acre then that would be 400 acres with the immediate family. Would miss my BBC comedy though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Do I get to hunt the dinosaurs?  If so, all in.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Can't.

Need meds to stay alive.

Were I in my twenties, I'd do it in a heartbeat. And I'd die at age 29. It's something to think about, the animals and the hurricanes aren't the only things that can get you. And those who understand the consequences and choose to go anyway are very gutsy people.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Yep.

As long as I can bring my toys with me.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Presuming the OP's hypothesis: why not.

Building stuff isn't very hard with modern equipment. We can bring that with us.

Pharmacology isn't very hard with modern lab equipment (for things already known). We can bring that with us.

Farming has been a progressively more in depth endeavor, but we can bring along tractors and combines.

So what is left? Internet could be remade. Cities would form. Business' would start up. We aren't starting like the pilgrims who had one boat in a time where infant mortality was 60%. You could box up a mini-city on a cargo ship today and be set up in a few months. Your biggest concerns would be energy requirements for near-modern living: green energy to get you going and either nuke or fossil fuels once over the hump.

Largely, the biggest issue would be that you would need a large percentage of do-ers who would be able to spend a lot of time building a civilization from scratch. That is hard work, even with modern machines. Mud huts aren't going to cut it, so your going to need to source our natural resources, mine/harvest, process, and begin work on roads, energy transmission, and communications. It isn't the basics of food/water/shelter that will be the problem, it is the constant infrastructure work and the lack of what we now consider "basic amenities".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top