Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2002 7:47:31 PM EDT
... Just saw him featured on Shooter's World - OLN.

... Damn, that man lives the talk for sure!

... Ya see it? He's OK by me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 3:52:26 AM EDT
[#2]
He is like a blind squirrel, every now and then he finds a nut.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:18:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:26:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You apparently are not familiar with the man.  If you knew a little bit about him you would hold him in high regard.  One of the few who have truly "been there."  
View Quote
Yes, he does deserve respect, and has a lot of good views, and then he comes out with something that is out there or very opinionated, it was an observation, not a condemnation. My sig line is by him, so that says more than anything else about my feelings toward the man.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:28:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#6]
W_W, I think you meant American Shooter, instead of Shooters World, right?

I saw it this morning too, and it was a great episode.  He talked about several different things, ranging from how he thinks IPSC has become a game, to why he believes that the Weaver stance is superior to Isoceles (sp?), and a little bit of everything in between.  You may not agree with everything the man has to say, but you'd be foolish not to at least listen to him.

Doublefeed,  I'm not going to disagree with you, but I'm fairly sure Jim Scoutten said he was 75 years old.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#7]
75 isn't an "old fart."  Just a comment from someone who will be 74 before the end of the month. [:)]z
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I enjoy his editorial page in the back of Guns & Ammo each month. He's the last of his kind....
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I enjoy his editorial page in the back of Guns & Ammo each month. He's the last of his kind....
View Quote

i thought we were the last of his kind
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#11]
has cooper seen alot of combat??
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

i thought we were the last of his kind
View Quote

The way my kid is talking..."SHE" is the last of his kind [;)]

I love Cooper's statement that goes something like this: There are only 2 calibers you really need. A .22 and a .308/30-06. Everything else is just unnecessary.

First time I heard him I thought of him as a crusty old goat... I have since EATEN my words.
View Quote
That is what I meant by my comment about a blind squirrel finding a nut, he makes you think even if you don't agree with him, he makes you think, he is a good man. And in this instance I agree with him.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:55:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Some time ago while travelling to Mesa, I was on a Charlotte-to-Phoenix flight with him.  I believe he was returning home from the NRA convention which had been in Charlotte that year.  I walked right past him, but didn't bother to talk to him because he looked pretty tired.  An airline employee in Phoenix brought him a wheelchair and took him to the baggage claim area.

I admire the guy, and enjoy reading his writings.

DrMark
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
has cooper seen alot of combat??
View Quote

He has been in at least two shooting. One of which as a Marine Lt in the Pacific. The details are in one of his books, but he doesnt mention its an autobiographical story.

His daughter later let the cat out of the bag.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#15]
For most of my adult life, Jeff Cooper was Moses and Gunsite the sermon on the mount.

The Only thing that comes close today is Clint Smith and Thunder Ranch.

You gotta give Jeff the fact that he preached the Handgun Combat Gospel to a generation of us 30 to 40 something guys.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
... he preached the Handgun Combat Gospel to a generation of us 30 to 40 something guys.
View Quote

... Yeah, before action shooting was "cool".

Even old Mossad Ayoob couldn't hold a candle to him back then.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You apparently are not familiar with the man.  If you knew a little bit about him you would hold him in high regard.  One of the few who have truly "been there."  
View Quote

Beekeeper:
I used to work in a popular Los Angeles Gun shop. One of the gunsmiths, Jim Hoag, was Coopers favorite 45 Auto gunsmith. Cooper used to come in every two or three weeks for some gun work.

I have known the man, Cooper, since 1973. I haven't known him well, just talking with him at the gun shop, and at a couple of Old South West Pistol League shoots. But he truly has been there. And man, you ought to see that man shoot.

Bill

Edited to say - I just called Jim Hoag and Cooper is over eighty-one years old. And to answer the Cooper in combat question, Yes he was in combat. I am not familiar with his WWII, service. But I know he saw combat in Korea, and did some OSS missions. If you have ever read about OSS, the men were separated from the boys there.

Even in civilian life he was every inch the Marine. When he walked, he was really marching. It was at military cadence, 120 steps to the minute, thirty inches to the step.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Jeff Cooper was born May 10, 1920 which makes him just a tad bit over 82 years old or, as I look at it, about four months younger than my dad.

My dad was born January 10, 1920 and served with the 14th Air Force in China from June of '42 till he came home in March of '46. He stuck with the AF, even after his eyes went south and they wouldn't ley him fly anymore,  right up untill they tried to send him back, for the third time, to a place called Viet Nam in 1963. He had lots of stories to tell, and lots more that I'm sure he never did.

My dad's been gone almost 25 years now, but in reading Jeff Coopers columns, I still feel that bond. My son, who is now 15 and who never knew his "other" grandfather, also reads Jeff Cooper and in so doing, maintains a strong tie to what has gone before and a current perspective on what is happening now.

Personally, I think Cooper should be "required reading" in the 9th grade, and beyond.

Keep up with the Col. here;

[url]http://www.crossroadusa.com/jeffcooper/[/url]

JMHO . . . . . Doug
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Jeff Cooper was born May 10, 1920 which makes him just a tad bit over 82 years old or, as I look at it, about four months younger than my dad.

My dad was born January 10, 1920 and served with the 14th Air Force in China from June of '42 till he came home in March of '46. He stuck with the AF, even after his eyes went south and they wouldn't ley him fly anymore,  right up untill they tried to send him back, for the third time, to a place called Viet Nam in 1963. He had lots of stories to tell, and lots more that I'm sure he never did.

My dad's been gone almost 25 years now, but in reading Jeff Coopers columns, I still feel that bond. My son, who is now 15 and who never knew his "other" grandfather, also reads Jeff Cooper and in so doing, maintains a strong tie to what has gone before and a current perspective on what is happening now.

Personally, I think Cooper should be "required reading" in the 9th grade, and beyond.

Keep up with the Col. here;

[url]http://www.crossroadusa.com/jeffcooper/[/url]

JMHO . . . . . Doug
View Quote

IMHO your opinion is dead center perfect.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Cooper was my number influence concerning guns when I was growing up.

I don't always agree with him and he sometimes contradicts himself but he is "THE MAN" when it comes to combat handgunning.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't think that it would be a stretch to say that Ret. Maj. Jeff Cooper USMC is the father of practical defensive / tactical shooting in the US.

He's also quite the African nimrod.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't think that it would be a stretch to say that Ret. Maj. Jeff Cooper USMC is the father of practical defensive / tactical shooting in the US.

He's also quite the African nimrod.  
View Quote

I think you have demoted him. Cooper was a Lieutenant Colonel.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Cooper was my number influence concerning guns when I was growing up.

I don't always agree with him and he sometimes contradicts himself but he is "THE MAN" when it comes to combat handgunning.
View Quote

behind Jeff there is only one man.

Jug Johnson!
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 5:14:54 AM EDT
[#25]
308wood, You must be a Skeeter Skelton fan too. I have read two of Skeeter's books, very entertaining...Bart has a long way to go to catch up. He may make it though...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top