Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2012 5:23:07 PM EDT
Raking leaves sucks...I think I am going to get a ECHO PB-255LN next year....What is everyone else using besides a rake??
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Riding mower + mulching blade + bagger + beer
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]
i own 2 landscaping companies.  We ONLY use Stihl power equipment.  Support our local dealer, we will pay a bit more for their service and quality.  We run several BR600's and a 9hp Force walkbehind blower by billy goat.  Also run all scag mowers and one of them has a collection system.  We do lots of leaves.  My own house took me, my brother and father nearly 3.5hrs to clear all the leaves.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm using a Stihl BG55.  Buy once, cry once.  

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#5]
A pull behind mulcher/bagger is worth its weight in gold.

If you get a blower, get a backpack, not a handheld.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two redmax and they are great. Cant remember the model I think 7400EB and a EBZ  but I may be wrong and they are great. I have developed a love affair with Redmax over the past two years.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#8]
My nieghbor.  I did some work on his car, and he is raking my leaves.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#9]
The only reason I say I want an Echo is because I recently bought on of their weed whackers, and think it is the shit..
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's awesome..are you sabotaging his car next season??
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Husqvarna 125BVx.

I also have an Echo SRM-230 trimmer that's pretty kickass.  

Whatever you get, support your local independent mower shop.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#12]
For what its worth, the Echo machines typically have a factory warranty that is twice as long as Stihl and the others.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Recently bought a husky 125b. I wish I had bought the 150 or even the 350 instead. I tried the Echo but I hated the padding on the back. It sucked.

Like what was said buy once and cry once. Buy the best you can afford. Whether that's a stihl or husky or whoever. makes sure as well that you compare both the cfm as well as if speed of the ones you look at.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a walk behind if you really want power.  Second best is Stihl BR600.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome..are you sabotaging his car next season??

I don't normally think that way, but he is an obama voter and asked me to do some work on his pickup this evening.....

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an echo pb2100 that is probably 12 years old.  Runs perfectly.  I just invested $70 in a 12 year old Echo string trimmer because it was better than the husqvarna I bought and then returned to the store for not living up to expectations.  At first I didn't want to fix the echo, but then I saw that it was worth fixing after using an inferior product.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I hate leaf blowers.  Loud terrible machines.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I have like a 4 year old Echo that has been flawless. I use it to dry my motorcycles after I wash them besides leaf blowing.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#19]
My new Husqvarna 350BT was delivered yesterday and I used it most all day today. It's a backpack type.

I did a LOT of research 'fore buying and I'm thrilled thus far. It's light (23#) and plenty powerful (180MPH/50cc).

$299 on Amazon.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Husqvarna 350BT.  

I switch purchases between the Local full service/ full line Husqvarna dealer and the local Stihl dealer, and just as well could have gone with the Stihl BR 350, as price was just a little higher, and performance essentially the same. It really came down bieng the Husky dealers turn. Both make solid and well built OPE, and unless you're looking at the homeowner grade shit that both sell, neither one has any advantage over the other, except dealer support.

Don't buy shit from the Box stores no matter the brand, and stick with a trusted local dealer, and you'll do fine...even with Echo.

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Stihl shredder vac ftmfw.  Buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone who runs a leaf blower is an asshole. If you run said leaf blower on a saturday you are a double asshole.... If for some reason your soul is so full of fuck you run it on a sunday morning. May you burn in the fires of hell and expierence anal penetration with no lube for eternity.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:46:50 AM EDT
[#23]
ARISE THREAD!

ARISE FROM THE DEAD!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:54:57 AM EDT
[#24]
The only use for a "blower" is drying your truck after you wash it and want to dry
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:55:48 AM EDT
[#25]
My Boxerdog likes to bite my BG55. Hilarious!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:00:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a quarter acre or less, and only one leaf dropping tree.  I get more leaves from my neighbors during fall than my own trees.  For me, I use this mainly for grass clippings, and it works great for that.

This is not the appropriate tool for wet leaves, or large properties.  It works awesome as a light weight, light duty, quiet leaf blower.  I can use it at night without pissing off the neighbors...it's about like a vacuum sound.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Anyone who runs a leaf blower is an asshole. If you run said leaf blower on a saturday you are a double asshole.... If for some reason your soul is so full of fuck you run it on a sunday morning. May you burn in the fires of hell and expierence anal penetration with no lube for eternity.

O My..
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a quarter acre or less, and only one leaf dropping tree.  I get more leaves from my neighbors during fall than my own trees.  For me, I use this mainly for grass clippings, and it works great for that.

This is not the appropriate tool for wet leaves, or large properties.  It works awesome as a light weight, light duty, quiet leaf blower.  I can use it at night without pissing off the neighbors...it's about like a vacuum sound.

http://i.pgcdn.com/pi/75/94/72/759472072_260.jpg

some of the electric models actually blow harder than gassers....
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Looks like he's ready to blow something....
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I have and LOVE an Echo 265l : http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Blowers/PB-265L

this also looks REALLY nice, but 8 lbs heavier, but twice the cc's
PB500t : http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Blowers/PB-500T
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a stihl 420
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I live in the damn forest.  We get us some leaves.  I've got an Echo PB-500.  It's been flawless.  I'm just finishing up a rebuild on an old Little Wonder blower as well.  Just waiting on the muffler to show up.  If I had some flake in the neighborhood freaking out about internal combustion engines I'da just gone with a foot of electrical conduit clamped on there and some muffs, but we all use gas tools.  Pretty much need to.  Figured I'd be polite and actually quiet it down some.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#33]
My Stihl BG55 has worked great for several years now.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't have a riding mower, and not even a self propelled, but this is how I do it. It's often faster than the leaf vacuum.  Of course the beer has to wait with the riding mower, but probably safer anyway.

Most of the really good blowers seem to not have vacuum conversions sold with them, not sure why but must be a reason.

My Toro has both and changes very quickly and easily.  I often do both because it is convenient to switch, blow it in a pile, then vacuum it up.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#35]
BR600 hands down.

The warranty is fine.  The newer magnum version has all the little issues from the original sorted out. (Stupid fuel pick-up tubes and valve failure.  Happened on almost every single original BR600.)

I just bought a new one, and the dealer had a special doubling the manufacturer warranty if you bought a 6 pack of oil.  it's at 4 years or so now.

Considering I use mine a couple dozen hours a year, I think i'll be OK.  It's great for cleaning snow from vehicles and walkways, too.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a riding mower, and not even a self propelled, but this is how I do it. It's often faster than the leaf vacuum.  Of course the beer has to wait with the riding mower, but probably safer anyway.

Most of the really good blowers seem to not have vacuum conversions sold with them, not sure why but must be a reason.

My Toro has both and changes very quickly and easily.  I often do both because it is convenient to switch, blow it in a pile, then vacuum it up.

I have an acre of oak trees. Riding lawnmowers and vacuum attachments are no match to the volume of leaves I deal with. I bought the biggest Stihl backpack blower available and am very pleased.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Backpack = REDMAX
Wheel blower = fradan 18hp self propelled
/ thread!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Stihl BG55.  Mine is 8 years old and runs like the day I bought it with zero maintenance.  Like someone said before, buy once, cry once.  

If it's sold at Lowe's or Home Depot, it's probably crap. This is my line of work so trust me on this one.  Go to a real lawn and garden dealership and get yourself something that will last.

ETA:  For what it's worth, Stihl blowers are made in the good old USA.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Backpack = REDMAX
/ thread!

I just saw REDMAX power equipment the other day. The dealer said it was top notch stuff. I take it you agree?? I had never heard of it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the problem with a vacuum attachment is it infers that you will be driving the leaves and junk back through the fan.  That means the fan is going to be significantly heavier for it's output and size than it might be otherwise.  With high output backpack blowers, you have a fan that's lighter and larger and puts out a hell of a lot of air, but couldn't mulch leaves real well at all.  If you want a fan that'll put out real air and also act as a mulcher, you're talking a heavier fan and thus a heavier engine than you want to lug around on your back.  

I think that's why you only see the vacuum attachments up to a certain size.  Bigger than that and your vacuum needs wheels.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Just bite the bullet and get a backpack blower....I have a Stihl BR600 that will blow door mats around like paper.  Shinindawa makes a good backpack blower as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I use an Echo at work, it certainly gets the job done.  Enough thrust to keep a paper airplane aloft for a couple minutes  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Deere X500 with the bagger attachment off. I grind the leaves into piles. Wife, Kiddos, and I use two Echo backpack blowers to blow the leaves onto tarps. Dump tarps in woods.  Pain in the ass, but kinda fun, too.  We're surrounded by big-ass oaks. The leaves are "plentiful......."

After:

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Backpack = REDMAX
/ thread!

I just saw REDMAX power equipment the other day. The dealer said it was top notch stuff. I take it you agree?? I had never heard of it.

Yes I have about 8 REDMAX backpack blowers. They are the best hands down.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Stihl BR600 Used them for years, one survived a 14ft fall from a roof with me attached. Not a scratch on the blower

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top