Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2002 8:56:40 PM EDT
didnt acually try, just went to PO to ask about it. thier is no other way to ship in this shit town. i dont have anyone acually receiveing my rifle, im just being prepaired. i stroll in to the office, and politley ask about shipping firearms. immeaditly she says "no i cant do that"

i politly said "im pretty sure you can"

after much clap trap about it all she whips out the postal code book. she looks up rifles and shotguns. she read it out loud. it said (i paraphrase) as long as a weapon wasnt an SBR SBS or handgun it can be shiped. after reading that she said "see, i cant ship it"

still politly, i said "according to that it is mailable"

she said "well, how many barrels does it have?"

me:"one"

her: "see, then i cant ship it"

now im getting pissed a little, but still polite

me: "it doesnt say that in the book"

her: " 9-11 makes this all very tough, they might decide its unmailable in des moines and just take it"

me: "it says right in the book its shippable"

her : "the book says the gun cant be loaded, so i cant ship it"

now im pissed off, the lying to my face pisses me off bad. at this point im about ready to jump up on the counter, whip my dick and and slap this antigun bitch across the face with it. better judgemnt prevented this action

me: "listen, it says in the book you can ship it, so i would like you to ship it. i think you should call your superiors and starighten this out, and i will be back in a few days"

BONG

i did leave some of the convo out. the time between me asking about guns and deciding i wanted to pull my junk out was at least 15 min or her spewing antigun crap.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#1]
What a dumb bitch!

Its not bad enough that she's incompetent,but she's also got have a personal agenda against what your trying to do.

What is it about the post office?Maybe its all the mail sorting that zombies these people out,but whenever I go in there(as little as possible,believe me)I get the slowest,most patronising service.Never a smile,just the "your a dumbass for not knowing all our outdated arcane rules"treatment.

Its not our fault they chose a mindless proffession.

Unhappy,incompetent bastards![50]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I would have my attorney with me when I went back. That way you could either have him/her argue the case for you or be of assistance in the unfortunate event the postal worker decided to tell a different story to her "superiors".

Link Posted: 8/7/2002 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#3]
no shiza thier bendover. im going to call the state PO and talk to them. i have a feeling she isnt going to call them, but tell me she did. if that doesnt work im going to mention a lawyer. yah it would be easyer to take it to an FFL at that point, but i got scores to settle now.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#4]
If you REALLY want to freak her out carry a small tape recorder in with you & lay it on the counter in order "to keep the record straight about what she says". First thing she'll do is pee all over herself, bureaucrats fear being pinned down to specifics about what they say.

Be sure to tell her to speak up & speak in a clear & loud voice & read the regulation out loud. Chances are she'll ship that puppy so fast your head'll spin.  >gg<
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]
good plan bob. i think i have a digital recorder laying around here somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#6]
My Post Master just assumes that everything I ship is a firearm or firearm related.  He is a pretty cool guy.

We talk firearms just about everytime I am in the post office.

If I was you I would straighten this lady out!  The post office can ship long guns.  I do it all the time.

medcop
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 11:26:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a helluva time shipping an AR about a month ago throught the post office.  The lady helping me got that same book out and started telling me I could not ship it.  After about 5 minutes of arguing I said fine, but I want to speak to your supervisor.  I talked to him for about 20 minutes telling him if he read what the book actually said it says cleary I can ship this non handgun, non loaded, non sbr gun.  He still said no.  I made him check with his superiors.  He called a hotline of some sort for postmasters with questions.  Sure enough, guess who was right.  After waiting for him to do that and realize it was ok, I walked back to the same bitch at the counter and said OK, I would like to mail this rifle now.  30 minutes of my time wasted and no apology.  What a bunch of dumbasses
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 11:49:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a dumb question. Why the fuck do you guys go around announcing what you intend to ship? Just doublebox it and be happy right? I wouldn't tell the lady over the counter what it is if i were shipping a 18" tellytubby.

Or am I breaking the law by not declaring special goods? It's not hazmat, so I don't think it is any more of their business as a stuff toy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 11:55:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Uhh, you cant ship a handgun through USPS?  How are handguns supposed to be shipped?

Link Posted: 8/8/2002 12:04:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Or am I breaking the law by not declaring special goods? It's not hazmat, so I don't think it is any more of their business as a stuff toy.
View Quote

Actually, I think you would be.  For some reason you have to tell them it is a firearm, even though it doesn't get treated any differently than an "18 tellytubby
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 12:23:56 AM EDT
[#11]
432 Mailability
432.1 General
The following conditions apply:
a. Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on
the person (referred to as handguns) are nonmailable in the domestic
mail except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM C024.1.0.
b. The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable
firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable
except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM C024.1.0 or C024.2.0.
c. Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are
generally permitted as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM C024.2.0.
d. Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies
with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618) and 18 U.S.C.
921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or
by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from
mailing because of the restrictions in 431.2b and c.

I can't find the part about notifying the clerk it is a gun now but I am certain their website said you have to. (be prepared for a hassle though)
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 12:26:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 1:39:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I just called FedEx.  Looks like they are getting my business tomorrow.  When I talked with the ATF the other day I was asking about me(no license) shipping a handgun to another person (has license) and was told that it wasnt a problem.  I then asked if there was anything else I needed to know about how to ship etc. and was told "nope".  Anyway, I'm shipping with fedex.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 3:07:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Sigh.
Listen man, the key here is, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TELL THE POST OFFICE THAT YOU ARE SHIPPING A RIFLE.  They have no legal right to know.  You have no legal obligation to tell them what it is.  Just take the box there and if they ask (which they usually don't) just tell them it is collectable cue sticks or something.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:19:38 AM EDT
[#15]
what rik said!

do NOT tell them ANYTHING! you have no obligation to state the contents. as long as you are not violating the law, it's none of their business.

insure the contents as "machine spare parts" or "hole drilling equipment".
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:42:04 AM EDT
[#16]
From another post:

[url]www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm[/url]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state
View Quote

[i]betcha didn't know that![/i]

or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm] and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:09:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
From another post:

[url]www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm[/url]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state
View Quote

[i]betcha didn't know that![/i]

or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm] and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]
View Quote
View Quote

[b]Who the hell made up that version??[/b]
(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract

Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:10:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I recently have made several posts asking the same question.  I've been trying to get a rifle sent to me from Atlanta.  Everyone tells their "opinion", but when the rubber meets the road, you still have to get the idiot at USPS counter to accept the package.  My brother has tried three times to ship my Rem 700 via the USPS to a FFL (yes, with a ink signed copy of the FFL and tax stamp) and the postal clerk refuses to take it.  The UPS driver (at place of buisness) said he could not accept a firearm from a non FFL.  Fedex said "sure, we'll ship it.  That will be $92.00!"  The only way each would ship a firearm was from a FFL to a FFL.  Of course that means more F'n around and more $$$.  And Thumbtrap is correct, yes, it does say in the ATF regs that you do have to declair a firearm at the time of tendering the package.  I'll also say the there is enough "grey" area in the laws and I'm not a lawyer.  I also don't want to comit a crime just to ship a firearm.  Bottom line is, my rifle is still in ATL and it's idiots with a "anti agenda" that are f'n things up again.

Wow, I took a left turn on Rant Street and didn't realize it till now
Sleepy717
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:16:20 AM EDT
[#19]
You went to all this trouble even though you weren't actually going to ship any firearm through the mail?
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:17:22 AM EDT
[#20]
There is no legal requirement to tell a shipper that a package contains a firearm as long as you are shipping to a licensee.  You only have to declare it if you are shipping to a nonlicensee.  The FAQ answer that is being quoted is not entirely correct and does not agree with the actual wording of the regulation.  BATF has admitted that to me in two different letters I have from BATF Hq.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:18:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I sent my broken HK USP back to Sterling, VA on Wednesday, July 31, 2002.
I walked into the UPS customer counter, filled out a label on a computer, and paid $25.00.

Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#22]
land of the free huh

isn't this friggen ridiculous?
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
what rik said!

do NOT tell them ANYTHING! you have no obligation to state the contents. as long as you are not violating the law, it's none of their business.

insure the contents as "machine spare parts" or "hole drilling equipment".
View Quote

im sorry guys, but legally, i have to tell them. i have to tell them it is a rifle, and i have to assure them that its unloaded. unloaded rifle is written on hte package. yah i probly could get away with not telling, but if it got opened during shipping,and an AR15 that **might** be loaded is found i have a feeling that it would come back on me for not fallowing postal reg.

You went to all this trouble even though you weren't actually going to ship any firearm through the mail?
View Quote

i am going to, i just dont have a solid deal yet. i dont wanna strike up a trade then have to start this process.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I just read thru the DMM, what a shitty manual to have to go by. Did you know its illegal to mail anything that is designed to be used in abortions? WTF?
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#25]
well damn. buyer(trader acually) just informed me that ho doesnt receive usps at his shop, and will take only ups or fedex. i was enjoying this rant too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Kinda like the discussion I had with my "mental giant" postmaster.  They left a package in the lockbox that needed to be signed for and put the key in the WRONG box.  Net result was that I have honest neighbors, but a handgun was OPEN for the taking ALL night.  I called and bitched them out, but he pulled that 9/11 crap too.  "If they knew a handgun was in the belly of the plane, all hell would brake loose, etc. etc."  Even the postmaster didn't know that FFL's can ship pistols to other FFL's.  I receive MG's through the mail all the time.  They just have to have the special magical tape on all the seams of the box.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#27]
[:)] I just received my fixed USP from UPS.
H&K was fast.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
im sorry guys, but legally, i have to tell them. i have to tell them it is a rifle, and i have to assure them that its unloaded.
View Quote

No, you do not have to tell them.  You have to make sure it's unloaded, and if you DO tell them they have the right to open it and check.  But you do NOT have to tell them according to the law, not for a long gun shipped via the USPS.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#30]
im just going to ship ups, and not mention its a gun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now THERE you would be breaking the law.  The law specifically says that you have to notify "common carriers" which includes UPS if you are shipping a firearm.  It doesn't say that about the USPS.  Plus UPS might open and check your box.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 5:00:56 AM EDT
[#32]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now THERE you would be breaking the law. The law specifically says that you have to notify "common carriers" which includes UPS if you are shipping a firearm. It doesn't say that about the USPS. Plus UPS might open and check your box.
View Quote

Not true as long as he is sending to a licensee. Notification is only required when sending to a nonlicensee.  However, if you don't notify them, you can forget about any insurance claims.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#33]
HAR HAR HAR~!!
I sent a rifle off today via USPS in Virginia Beach. When I put it on the counter the lady asked me if it was anything hazardous...blah blah blah...I said "Its a rifle", upon hearing that her entire demeanor changed! She gave me the “look” and said:
"You can't mail a firearm"
I was expecting this so I had printed out the BATF FAQ, the DMM link posted in this thread and a photocopy of the FFL it was going to (out of state.) I explained to her that I could indeed mail a firearm. She was a little PO'd about me giving her the smack down...I reveled in it! She called her boss…who called the 1-800 #, all of who gave me dirty looks. They went over all my paperwork with a fine tooth comb…just looking for a reason to deny shipping this item.
Score one postal employee and one supervisor who are now educated.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Schapman43, handguns [red]must be shipped overnight[/red] by common carrier according to the ATF.  Handguns can be mailed under certain conditions as stated in the Domestic Mail Manual.

quote]

Purely an urban legend. In 1999 with Y2K coming on and the firearms industry in a rush to fill the hands of survivalists eagerly awaiting their backorders. UPS developed a plan for revenue, errr..... excuse me a way to increase security, in which it required all handguns to be shipped next day air. It wasn't long before the other contract carriers were following the boys in brown.

Jake
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Kinda funny the USPS in Reno a Postal worker had stole over 50 weapons shipped from RSR gun dist. in Sparks,NV. and reshipped to a fence in Los Angeles.Sounds to me like USPS is there owm worst enemy! and a lying cunt to boot!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top