Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2002 10:31:18 PM EDT
if i were to sell a firearm on the EE, what process might i go about to ship it to a buyer??

thanks ahead of time
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
1.  Agree on price and shipping cost.

2.  You get money and signed copy of the FFL (gun store) of his choice.

3.  You ship firearm to that FFL address.

4.  He fills out paperwork, your job is done.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#2]
first thanks for the super fast reply.

what meathod would be best to ship a firearm? i think i can ship UPS downtown. i was thinking it had to go from a FFL to a FFL.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#3]
No, you can ship it yourself AFAIK.  UPS et al have been kind of fruity in reagrds to firearms lately, but you should be able to ship it yourself to a FFL from a UPS office (if I understand UPS's regs).  If it's a rifle or shotgun, you'd probably be better off sending it USPS priority mail insured for 120% of the selling price.  

Shipping and insurance are normally covered by the buyer, unless you indicated otherwise.  Shipping and insurance costs should be completely worked out before the buyer sends you ANY money.  Plus, make him send USPS money orders for the total cost (it gives both of you some piece-of-mind).
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#4]
so priority mail would bo done at the post office ehy?

forgive my 100% ignorance on this topic. if all goes well answers i find here will help add one more ar15 owner to our ranks.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I shipped a rifle yesterday, USPS. I showed up with it already packed and boxed. I told him it was a rifle when I handed it to him, and he said - (incorrectly) you can't ship that here. It has to go UPS.

I was about 98% sure on this, but who knows what got tacked on to some piece of 399-1 legislation in the last year, so I asked if I could see the regs prohibiting it.  After pointing out the legal difference in long guns and hand guns as it relates to the USPS, he said, ok, but he wanted me to write that it was unloaded on the box. I showed him that part (no markings on the outside indicating that it is a firearm), and he took it.

A couple points in summary:
Be polite, be patient.

UPS an Fedex will take long guns, handguns, machine guns. But box store shippers quite often won't. You will seriously fry some hardwired brains if you try to ship from Mailboxes Etc. Take it to a major office, a real post office, or a shipper that you know or have reason to believe will not freak out. (Local pawn shop is a UPS shipper. I use him when I need to send out a gun.)

If they tell you no, politely ask to see something in print telling you why not.

Bring tape with you just in case. Make sure that you pack it well - if it has room to get a running start inside the box, it might try to escape, and we all now how dangerous firearms running loose in the Post Office can be.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#6]
what if i was to show up at the post office with it packed and ready to go and not mention that it was an evil school seeking armor peircing high explosive assult weapon.

btw its just a post ban CAR HBAR

pee drop
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#7]
[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm
[/url]
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state
View Quote

betcha didn't know that!

or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, [b]Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm[/b]] and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top