Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2012 6:32:28 PM EDT
In mASSachusetts Saying it is "anti-competitive"

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/10/tesla-dealer-illegal/?cid=co4062934

The Massachusetts State Automobile Dealers Association, among others, is waving around a decades-old law as it calls the Silicon Valley automaker’s network of “Tesla stores” illegal. Dealership associations have long lobbied to make it illegal for automakers to sell cars directly to consumers. The idea behind the protectionist law is to prevent automakers from killing competition and driving independent franchises out of business.

How dare anyone cut out useless middlemen
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The other part of is to make sure the car can be worked on by the manufacturers representative [dealer], especially during the warranty period.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The other part of is to make sure the car can be worked on by the manufacturers representative [dealer], especially during the warranty period.

Like the dealers care about that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Tesla, obviously, forgot to buy a membership in the Massachusetts State Automobile Dealers Association.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thankfully the dealers are working to fight for the little man that needs warranty work.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thankfully the dealers are working to fight for the little man that needs warranty work.

I think Tesla has a few hundred million of the "little man's" dollars from the Feds already so I don't have any sympathy for them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Tesla has a few hundred million of the "little man's" dollars from the Feds already so I don't have any sympathy for them.

And the guy is risking his fortune to get Tesla successful as well.

Don't agree with the government money, but I find anti-competitive measure offensive and unamerican.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't agree with the government money, but I find anti-competitive measure offensive and unamerican.

Electric cars are totally non viable at this time as anything other then a "boutique" show piece and without the taxpayers forced money handovers, it is a money losing industry. Unless there is a HUGE advance in both storage capacity and standardized batteries that can be removed and charged one installed in a minute or so, they will be relegated to running around a track or short "milk runs" to the corner store.

As far as pollution, all they do is change the point of origin.

A diesel/elec hybrid would be a FAR better way to gain mileage.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#8]
You would think that a Tesla car battery that fails and is NOT covered under warranty - costing the owner $40,000. to replace would be enough to doom Tesla.

And when it fails - the car can only be dragged up a flatbed - then trucked to the factory.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw a tesla on the road a few months ago.  The onwer was smiling.  I was wondering to myself how long that would last as I happily got 12 mpg all the way home.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You would think that a Tesla car battery that fails and is NOT covered under warranty - costing the owner $40,000. to replace would be enough to doom Tesla.

And when it fails - the car can only be dragged up a flatbed - then trucked to the factory.

Didn't that only happen like 5 times, and completely against EVERY instruction given to the owner?

"Don't let this shit drain out the battery and sit for 3 months."
"Fuck!  I let the thing sit there unplugged for three months and it died!  Piece of shit!"

It's like someone with a regular car bitching because the engine seized up.  "You mean I have to put oil in this once in a while?  Fuuuuck!?"
The bitch runs on electricity.  Plug it in.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Electric cars are totally non viable at this time as anything other then a "boutique" show piece and without the taxpayers forced money handovers, it is a money losing industry. Unless there is a HUGE advance in both storage capacity and standardized batteries that can be removed and charged one installed in a minute or so, they will be relegated to running around a track or short "milk runs" to the corner store.

The "milk run" is what lots of folks do every day.

Changing the point of origin can lead to a reduction in emissions.

IMO it will take a mix of technologies to make "electric" vehicles viable for the majority of people.

Brian
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#12]
My brother in law has a Tesla. The technology in these cars is pretty impressive, and the instant torque an electric motor provides is really fun to drive with.

I say screw Massachusetts.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, it does seem quite illegal and unfair according to the law and regulations.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Jealous since they're going Apple Store on them. Screw the middleman!
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#15]
every person who i have met that drives one is a douche
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Kinda like the drivers of other $100K cars....................

Brian

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My brother in law has a Tesla. The technology in these cars is pretty impressive, and the instant torque an electric motor provides is really fun to drive with.

I say screw Massachusetts.

You know the rules... Pichers! Now!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I almost bought one.  
Wait a minute...
Comment is appropriate.  Carry on.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A diesel electric plugin hybird would be the shiznit.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like the dealers care about that.

That and financing are the profitable parts of the store. If they could get rid of the new cars and keep the manufacturer connection for the parts, the sales floor would be full of lifts the next day.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't that only happen like 5 times, and completely against EVERY instruction given to the owner?

"Fuck!  I let the thing sit there unplugged for three months and it died!  Piece of shit!"

It's like someone with a regular car bitching because the engine seized up.  "You mean I have to put oil in this once in a while?  Fuuuuck!?"

IIRC, they were a TAD vague on the whole "Bricking" possibility in the first models..which led to the problem when people bought them as Novelties and suddenly found they had a $100+K sculpture because they failed to read the VERY fine print.  I'd franlky be nore concerned as the lifespan of the battery more than Bricking...
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the car even calls Tesla to say it's dying and Tesla calls the owner. I think tesla sent guys out to charge one car on their own when the owner did not respond.  

I can see the lawsuit now.  Tesla owner shoots employees in the face trying to charge his car.

Actually, no, I can't see that happening.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the car even calls Tesla to say it's dying and Tesla calls the owner. I think Tesla sent guys out to charge one car on their own when the owner did not respond.  

After the PR fiasco when that hit, I wouldn't put it past them to send out someone to charge the car. It is a technological problem with the type of batteries they use, IIRC, and if they are to be believed, the Model S is better at handling it then the Roadster.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

if it is infact codified in the law, its the govts responsibility to uphold the law or change it

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

if it is infact codified in the law, its the govts responsibility to uphold the law or change it

People don't go to prison for spitting on the sidewalk or letting women drive on a Sunday, either.

Well, then create a WOS, transfer the cars to them, then sell them... How hard can it be?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I was surprised to actually see one about a month ago on I-80

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC, they were a TAD vague on the whole "Bricking" possibility in the first models..which led to the problem when people bought them as Novelties and suddenly found they had a $100+K sculpture because they failed to read the VERY fine print.  I'd franlky be nore concerned as the lifespan of the battery more than Bricking...

I did some reading about it when I was in the market a while back.  I think there are like 4 or 5 legitimate cases of bricking.  It's a lot of bad press over very little.

My family talked me out of going for a Tesla.  They mentioned some crazy bullshit about me spending all my money already.  

I still do want one.  I may make a car fund (read: stop buying guns and antiques) and dive into a Tesla in Q3 or Q4 2013.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I did some reading about it when I was in the market a while back.  I think there are like 4 or 5 legitimate cases of bricking.  It's a lot of bad press over very little.

My family talked me out of going for a Tesla.  They mentioned some crazy bullshit about me spending all my money already.  

I still do want one.  I may make a car fund (read: stop buying guns and antiques) and dive into a Tesla in Q3 or Q4 2013.

Performance model w/ 300mi battery is luxury sedan money... not bad in my book, and resale value is probably high since demand eclipses supply.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm anxiously awaiting the US release of the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#31]

I find it interesting that the OP presents a case of an industry association trying to squelch innovation in a potential competitor and the response is largely comments like "electric cars aren't viable" or "fuckers took gubmint money" or "Teslas suck".  While those are all reasonable trajectories for this conversation to eventually move down, none of that addresses the main point.  The market should decide whether technology is viable or whether a product sucks, not the legacy manufacturers that are going to lose out when someone comes along with a better idea.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm anxiously awaiting the US release of the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust.

I'll have mine in silver, please.....
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:07:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well, it does seem quite illegal and unfair according to the law and regulations.

Illegal according to an unfair law sure but unfair itself do not think so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top