Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2002 9:36:32 PM EDT
Slow cooked pork ribs with homemade sauce, garlic and onion mashed potatoes, pork & beans, and some good old macaroni and cheese, topped off with a nice frosty cold bottle of Guinness Draught.  Tonight's dinner firearm is the SW99 in .40S&W, the S&W variant of the Walther P99.  And after dinner, the only thing that kaboomed was me! [;D]

[IMG]www.darkside.org/~tex/pics/guns/dinner.jpg[/IMG]

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Yummy!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, looks good but when you drink that guinness, doesn't it remind you of licking a piece of oak?

Keving67
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn dude, dinner's looking good.  I know you just lost my number and that's why you didn't invite me for some of that dinner ---and beer too.  

Nothing like dinner and firearms....oh wait, yeah there is, CHICKS and firearms....where are the pics of that huh?

Mike

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Cold Guinness?  Ain't there a law against that?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks like yer drawer is broke! [;D]
View Quote

Yep, old particle board cabinets that have been in the house since it was built in the 70's, and almost all the drawers have broken.  I tried repairing them, but they just break again because they are supported by plastic that's turned brittle with age.  I've been planning on remodeling the kitchen since I cook a lot, but being laid off a few times in the last year has kind of put that on hold.  What I have spec'd out to replace it runs in the neighborhood of $2,800 and that's just for cabinets and countertops.  Fortunately the appliances were all new when we bought it.

Here's a shot of all the ribs that I did.
[IMG]www.darkside.org/~tex/pics/guns/ribs.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Check your shorts.  I'm betting you'll find that DIRTY BOMB that every one's so hyped up about.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#8]
How do you like that S&W99? I like the idea of adjustable grips. I've been toying with the idea of trying to convince my Dept. into switching to the Walther P99 or S&W99 in .40 S&W. Then only draw back is that we've had great success with our S&W .45's( success due to the caliber not the firearm). I feel it's more that we've been lucky. We have a lot of malfunctions during qualifications. The adjustable grips make sense to me since we have male and female officers . It defies logic to think that one gun will fit a random selection of 200 people.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm only lactose intolerant, but pork does a body good!

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#10]
and the recipe is?
[:)]
edited to add:  I think it's time to move to Texas.  Should I bring my bags to the Oct gathering?[:)]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How do you like that S&W99? I like the idea of adjustable grips.
View Quote

I like it a lot.  It wasn't nearly as reliable as my Glock 27 out of the box, but it has gotten much nicer the more rounds I put through it.  I was having failures to feed often when I first got it, but polishing the feed ramp just slightly seemed to help a lot.  Now it runs like clockwork.

I've been toying with the idea of trying to convince my Dept. into switching to the Walther P99 or S&W99 in .40 S&W. Then only draw back is that we've had great success with our S&W .45's( success due to the caliber not the firearm). I feel it's more that we've been lucky. We have a lot of malfunctions during qualifications. The adjustable grips make sense to me since we have male and female officers . It defies logic to think that one gun will fit a random selection of 200 people.
View Quote

I agree completely.  My wife and I can both comfortably shoot the SW99, even though we're both different builds.  I'm 6'3" with slightly larger hands, and she's 5'4" with smaller hands.  With the middle grip backstrap installed we can both shoot the gun comfortably if necessary, though she does prefer the smaller insert.

My neighbor has a department issued Glock 20, and he really dislikes it.  He's 5'5", and built like a tank, but getting a good grip on the 20 is hard for him as his hands are somewhat on the small size.  When I showed him the SW99, he too liked the idea of having ajustable inserts to taylor the feel of the weapon to the individual.  I'm interested to see if HK's P2000 has the same feel.  To me, the SW99/P99 ergonomics are downright perfect for a medium sized pistol.  It just feels right, more so than any other pistol I've ever used.

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Now you've got me missing Spring Creek BBQ!  Although I'm sure they would have frowned on me laying my Kimber Pro Carry on the table while I ate!  LOL!  (That would sort of be a violation of Texas CC laws.)
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
and the recipe is?
[:)]
edited to add:  I think it's time to move to Texas.  Should I bring my bags to the Oct gathering?[:)]
View Quote

Hell yeah!  Texas welcomes all brothers in arms.

As for the recipe, it's just a simple rub that I acquired from Alton Brown.

It's an 8-2-1 ratio mixture of light brown sugar, kosher or coarse salt, and chili powder.  Then add 1 parts of the following:

Jalapeno salt, or you can use Jalapeno shake, which has no salt, and up the original 2 parts salt to 3 parts salt.  Using three parts salt and 1 part jalapeno salt makes the rub way too salty.
Black pepper
Cayanne pepper
Dried Thyme
Onion powder
Old Bay (the product name of a mixture of celery salt and other spices, not ground bay leaves as we first thought)  If you can't find old bay, just use 1/3 part celery, 1/3 part sage, and 1/3 part thyme.

As long as you use the same ratio, whether it's ounces, cups spice caps, whatever, it will work.  Combine this into a container large enough to hold it all, and shake vigorously.  If you only have smaller containers, use smaller measuring devices.  Using one of the caps from a bottle of your spices works well, provided you use the same one for measuring everything.  In the first picture, if you look at the clear container behind the bottle of Guinness, that's my pork rub all mixed up.

Put the ribs in foil, and rub the mixture into the pork, then allow to marinade for at least 1 hour in the fridge sealed in the foil.  After the marinade time, combine 2-3 cloves of crushed or diced fresh garlic, 1 cup white whine, 2 tablespoons worchester (sp?), 1 tablespoon honey, and 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar and microwave on high for 2 minutes.  Poor this mixture into the packet(s) for the ribs.  If you're going to grill or smoke the ribs, allow the ribs to marinade an additional 30 minute to an hour, then grill or smoke on low for a few hours.  Be sure to save the liquid, as you'll need it for the sauce.  If you're going to slow cook in the oven, you can just plop the sealed foil packets with the liquid into the oven and let cook on 150 for at least 3 hours.  You'll know they're done when the bone starts to come loose from the meat if you twist it.

When they're done, you'll need the liquid from the marinade to make the sauce.  If you grilled, throw a pinch or two of leftover rub into the mixture.  If you cooked in the packet, take the packets, and lay them over a pot, then snip them in the middle on both sides allowing the liquid to drain into the pot.  Now, heat on high until it reduces to a thicker consistency, about that of BBQ sauce.  It will be very spicy and sticky, so if you want, feel free to cut it with some bbq sauce.  Then brush it on the ribs and let them cook some more until the sauce is sticky, but not scorched.  Then plate up and dig in!

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you like that S&W99? I like the idea of adjustable grips.
View Quote

I like it a lot.  It wasn't nearly as reliable as my Glock 27 out of the box, but it has gotten much nicer the more rounds I put through it.  I was having failures to feed often when I first got it, but polishing the feed ramp just slightly seemed to help a lot.  Now it runs like clockwork.

View Quote

My experience with S&W pistols has been only with they 3rd generation models. The 9mm versions have all functioned flawlessly. The .45's have been hit and miss. I haven't fired an S&W .40. How can they make such great revolvers and such crappy pistols?(rehtorical question, no need to answer) When I started on the job in 88, we carried revolvers with a .38+P load(we paid for them). We were authorized several different frame sizes(depending on your duties)and several different manufacturers. When we switched to (semi auto)pistols in .45 ACP(city purchased) in 90. We were authorized 2 sizes(4506 and 4516) and 1 Mfg.(S&W) We have had a lot of malfunctions with these pistols in training, not in combat(thank God). We are not confident in S&W pistols. It really sucks staking your life on a pistol you don't have confidence in. Imagine if every time you went to start your car you weren't sure it would start. Now imagine that if your car wouldn't start you might be killed. That's what I feel like carrying an S&W 3rd Gen. pistol. Since our weapons are supplied by the city I am powerless to do anything about it.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My experience with S&W pistols has been only with they 3rd generation models. The 9mm versions have all functioned flawlessly. The .45's have been hit and miss. I haven't fired an S&W .40. How can they make such great revolvers and such crappy pistols?(rehtorical question, no need to answer) When I started on the job in 88, we carried revolvers with a .38+P load(we paid for them). We were authorized several different frame sizes(depending on your duties)and several different manufacturers. When we switched to (semi auto)pistols in .45 ACP(city purchased) in 90. We were authorized 2 sizes(4506 and 4516) and 1 Mfg.(S&W) We have had a lot of malfunctions with these pistols in training, not in combat(thank God). We are not confident in S&W pistols. It really sucks staking your life on a pistol you don't have confidence in. Imagine if every time you went to start your car you weren't sure it would start. Now imagine that if your car wouldn't start you might be killed. That's what I feel like carrying an S&W 3rd Gen. pistol. Since our weapons are supplied by the city I am powerless to do anything about it.  
View Quote

That is crappy.  I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable staking my life on a pistol I wasn't confident in.  That's a crappy position to be in, and hopefully you can and the rest of the department can get the city to get you better gear.  Hell, authorizing you to purchase your own firearms, provided they fit a certain criteria, would probably be more desirable than what you have now.

You could always tell them the P99 comes in a DAO configuration, which seems to be highly desirable by law enforcement since they are considered less of a liability than DA/SA or SA guns.

Stay safe out there Sukebe.

Link Posted: 8/2/2002 12:54:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:02:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Mmmmmmm, ribs....

Mmmmmmmm, Guinness...

Mmmmmmmmm, gun...

(repeat)

--LS
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:29:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey! Are we invited?
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#19]
GBT,
Those ribs look good, but should your side dishes all be carbs? Where are the veggies?
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:49:20 AM EDT
[#20]
If I were sitting there with you, you would need that gun to keep me outta that plate!
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 6:04:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If I were sitting there with you, you would need that gun to keep me outta that plate!
View Quote

ROTFLMAO! [beer]
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
GBT,
Those ribs look good, but should your side dishes all be carbs? Where are the veggies?
View Quote

Veggies?!  I take vitamins for that crap! [:D]

You're right, I should have had a more diverse meal, but believe it or not I had already had about 7 servings of fruits and vegetables for the day with breakfast and lunch.  I live on fruit as snacks during the day, and had 4 servings of veggies at my mother-in-law's at lunch.

Link Posted: 8/5/2002 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hey! Are we invited?
View Quote

If any of you find yourself in the Houston area and want to stop by for some ribs, just let me know.  I only ask for enough time to properly prepare and cook them.

Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:07:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Every house in our hood has the same countertops. late 70's, Ryan homes!!!!!!We all need to update, maybe after the basement!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top