Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2002 8:46:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I know many people are going to chime in about traffic enforcement and revenue generating. Before that goes on I just want to say that traffic enforcement decreases traffic crashes. Decreased traffic crashes means lower insurance rates. Insurance companies base their rates among other things on the ratio of traffic crashes and cost of resulting claims to the number of drivers in the geographic location they serve. So while the local Govt. entity is generating revenue they are also helping to keep insurance costs down. It's simple don't drive like an ass and you can benefit from it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah. Evil red light runners like me.
Coming home at 3AM I come to a 4 way stop light. I stop, look, and proceed to treat it like a stop sign. I get pulled over and ticketed. When he comes up to the truc he says "Why did you run that light?"
e:"I treated it like a stop sign. It is 3AM and there isn't any traffic." I assumed the common sense here would leap out at him. Nope.
Him:'Wrong answer!"
Me:"What was the right answer?"

I beat the ticket. BTW, using the same logic on the judge.
Run a red light in traffic? You are an ass, for certain. I hate that degree of incivility. At 3 AM in a sleepy town with nobody in it? Use the sense God gave a chipmunk. That goes for you LEOs too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Use the sense God gave a chipmunk. That goes for you LEOs too.
View Quote

Why do we call it "common sense" when it is so uncommon?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I know many people are going to chime in about traffic enforcement and revenue generating.
View Quote

The SC highway patrol stopping people for 2 MPH over limit(!!) is revenue generation.  The city I live-in placing ridiculously low speed limits on a street then setting-up a speed trap is revenue generation.  Stopping a red light runner is just common sense.

The LED's make a lot of sense.  There are several lights in the city I live-in that have an extended green in one direction as compared to the other.  It often looks like someone runs the red light when they haven't.  There's one in front of a fast food place I used to eat-at often, and it stumped me for a long time as to why it looked like people ran that particular red light so often.  I finally saw why while standing where you could see both lights.  I know it has to be confusing to the officers trying to enforce the law.z
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Zoom, I think we got ya'll beat.  Last I checked, NC pretty is much at the top for cracking down on "agressive speeding".  VASCAR lines are found more on the highways than litter.  Have you heard about/seen our new camaros?

But I will say, these LED's don't seem like a bad idea.  Think I'll send that web page to our city council.

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I love the LED's for red light runners.  Personally I don't have a problem with the cameras on red lights or for speeders.  You know the laws and rules,  you aren't more special than anyone else.  Grow up and obey them and don't put anyone else in danger.  Just my opinion. By the way I drive a truck for a living so I have to deal with this all the time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#8]
So I'm slowing down for a 4 way stop sign, almost stopped, and I see 2 cars coming from the left. Actually just the headlighs, since it's night. Complete my stop and start to move my foot over to the accelerator, when I notice that these 2 cars aren't slowing down. The lead car is doing about 35 to 40 in a 25, and is no more than 20 feet from the stop sign, when he lights up his overheads. Cop. Doesn't even slow down. If I hadn't been cautious, he could have hit me broadside. The second car, another cop, comes to a stop at the sign. I proceed safely.
Realized it was 11:15 PM. Shift change. A couple of cops playing bumper tag. Oh yeah, the cop who ran the stop sign, turned his lights off as soon as he cleared the intersection.
Years ago, I used to sit out on my front porch drinking beer at night. I could set my watch by the 2 squad cars that would race each other every night after shift change. They would go whizzing by, doing over 60,(in a 30) bottoming out and leaving 15 feet of sparks, on their way to sit and BS in the Hines lumberyard, parking lot, 5 blocks down the street.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top