Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2002 11:51:13 AM EDT
I recently decided to get a pair of dogs for bird hunting.
I decided that I wanted a retriever, but also something that could point and flush.
After much research, it seems that Weimaraners are the best dogs in the world, so I have ordered a pair of them.
I will be taking posession of the dogs in about 2 weeks, and have been buying every possible gadget and accessory to train them, and for their comfort.
Leashes, different types of collars, above ground electronic fencing, electric training devices, loud whistles, silent whistles, simulated bird launchers, scent, a .22 Blank pistol, and so on...

I also purchased several books on training dogs for upland/lowland birds, but they all seem to espouse different theories about "how to do it", ranging from flat out "kick the dogs ass", up to some new age fru-fru faggot "Be the Dog" type shit.

So, I need tips and tricks used to train Weimaraners. I have trained 2 Labs before with spectacular results, but I understand this type of dog is different.

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I have trained several German Shorthaired Pointers with great results. Gimme a minute to track down some info for you.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, Jack Stewart wrote the book "Upland Birds and Game Dog Training" which worked like a charm for me. I've also got some other stuff that I haven't been able to put my hands on yet. I'll try and dig it up and forward the info.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Jack Stewarts book is a great resource. I have two labs and both work well for the type of bird hunting I do, although, the chocolate lab is very high strung when compared with my yellow.
The key to what you want to do is PATIENCE and lots of work with the dog.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#4]
THX GUYS!

BTT- See if I can get anymore info out of the peanut gallery
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://www.huntamerica.com/wwwthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=UBB32[/url]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#6]
[url]http://www.navhda.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#7]

i'm pro trainer..

give me a buzz..

[email protected]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top