Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2002 9:47:33 AM EDT
The Ordnance Maintenance Section, Marine Corps Base, Quantico is 'demilling' 4,100 M-14 rifles. These rifles are going to the Naval Academy. (Apparently the midshipmen can't be trusted with  real weapons)

"Demil" means "welding steel rod in the chamber, welding the bolt, removing the firing pin, drilling and welding a hole in the barrel, and welding shut the gas system."

Source:
Quantico Sentry
"The Corps Oldest Newspaper"
July 25, 2002.

Pardon me while I go cry in the corner...all those wonderful M14s down the drain......ECS

[>Q]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#1]
You know if our gov. would just resell these used rifles back to us for what they paid for them, you know NO ONE WOULD SCREW WITH THE U.S. Now that would be some homeland security.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#2]
We had beautiful M14s at the Citadel, about 2,000 of them.

Excellent finish, looked new internally, red fibreglass stocks.

All they needed was a firing pin.

I suspect the demil is in case any are "lost."

After carrying it around for 4 years, lots of guys stopped thinking of them as machine guns.

We had a couple incidents where one was temporarily misplaced.

Got the Feds atention pretty quick, IIRC.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm crying over the irreplaceable loss of these firearms.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You know if our gov. would just resell these used rifles back to us for what they paid for them, you know NO ONE WOULD SCREW WITH THE U.S. Now that would be some homeland security.
View Quote
WE already paid for these once!![:(!]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Ridiculous
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like they'll be replacing the M1 Garands currently used by the Mids. Wonder what they'll do with 4,500+ demilled Garands?

I'm sure the government will do something appropriate with them... [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Just more proof the .gov dosen't trust the people. [smoke]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

But lowly citizens cannot be trusted to ensure the safety of this country.  That's something best left to the government, as they know what's best for us.

On a side note, we should really find a way to harness the energy produced by the Founding Fathers spinning in their graves as a way to produce electricity.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I"m still crying over the fact I can pay Springfield Armory literally [i]thousands[/i] for one of these, meanwhile the poor OMS armorers at Quantico have been ordered to basically destroy perfectly good M-14s [>Q]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I was at the Marine Corps Logistics Base in Albany GA for a few days in 1996 (dropping off 150+ M16A2's to be preserved and stored) and took a "tour" of their weapons preservation and rebuild section. I saw the assembly line method of how they were demilling M14's into drill rifles - what a sad sight it was. In the preservation area, they were unpacking preserved M14's, dipping them in preservative, and repacking them for storage. I saw hundreds of them - most looked to be new and unused. From what I was told, the weapons need to be represerved every 8 years or so. I also saw pallets with boxes about 5x5x5 filled with M16A1's that, I was told, were about to shipped to another country - where I don't know. I saw alot of other cool things in the warehouses - but these were the ones that stand out from that trip.        
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Makes Tooo much sense besides I beleave the Swiss is the only government that trusts their citizens with military weapons.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually, I heard from a guy I know in the armory, the DOD wanted to sell these off through CMP for $7-800 each, but the ATF says "once a machine gun, always a machinegun." and that put the kybosh on that.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Enough to make a grown man cry.  I've never had the pleasure of laying my eyes on a real Honest-to-God M14 and now they're destroying all those fine guns.  I guess I could take my M1A to the range and pretend....but that's sort of like jerking off and calling it sex.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn...could have sent a couple my way [:)]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Actually, I heard from a guy I know in the armory, the DOD wanted to sell these off through CMP for $7-800 each, but the ATF says "once a machine gun, always a machinegun." and that put the kybosh on that.
View Quote

[>Q]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Look at it from the Corps' perspective.
It would have been easier for them to just scrap them completely.

I wish they would have made the effort to get them out to us, but I understand that that is far from the Marine Corps' top priority, these days.

It's a shame.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I used to admire the Marines.  Now they are just another part of the problem!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're kidding yourself if you think this is a marine decision.  The DOD and BATF are calling the shots here.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Pardon me while I go cry in the corner...all those wonderful M14s down the drain......ECS

[>Q]
View Quote

wonderful? HA! more like beat to shit military weapons. M14's hmmmm let me think.... thay would have been demilled or destroyed sooner or later when thay switch to SR25's, from what i have been told the navy is getting new SR25's from KAC. so shut yer hole.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

[?]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Isn't it great how the govt. forces us to pay taxes and then later destroys the property purchased with our money? Seriously, they have no respect for us at all.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#24]
oak ridge has a shit load of them too, that and m1 garands. they were in front of us in a parade once, and I was in the xo spot so I got a clear view the whole time. thought about stealing one the whole time [}:D]. but then I was carrying a fixed blade knife over 9 inches concealed to a parade already (which is a major no no in north carolina) already so I decided to stay on my best behavior.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top