Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2002 10:15:54 AM EDT
Can't believe this is happening in PRK.

'In God' motto placed above city seal; Latin saying also displayed with seal.

By Jim Scott
KGET 17 News
07/31/02

Bakersfield - Placing the motto 'in God we trust' on city hall was an idea that sparked passionate debate in Bakersfield.
Tuesday night, city leaders dedicated two national mottos that now adorn the council chambers.

Above the city's seal, the words 'in God we trust'. Below the seal, 'e pluribus unum', latin for 'out of many, one.'

Councilwoman Jacquie Sullivan pushed the project.

It was approved by a six-to-one vote of the council. Sullivan says she couldn't be happier.

"It's beautiful, it's wonderful, just perfect," said Sullivan. "It's intended to encourage, inspire, to bring god back into our thinking our lives, our government. To inspire our policy makers and government officials, so I'm very pleased. It's wonderful."

Outside council chambers the Hall of Documents were also dedicated. Replicas of 17 historic American documents will be placed on the wall.

Back

Wow...amazing.
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Choke on it, America haterz.

Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm just waiting for them to chisel "One Nation Under Marvl" on all public buildings. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow.  Maybe there really is hope for Kalifornistan.

[;D] NAHHH!
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Other than the time spent away from college, I lived in Bakersfield for the first 23 of my 24 years.

It's an example of those stories you typically hear about California:  the state tends to be fairly conservative outside of the two major population bases (and other than all the illegals runnning around up and down in between).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top