Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2002 7:00:17 AM EDT
More news stories to rant about.  This is the second time today I've heard something like this:

"Giannoni is now behind bars on federal charges of possessing firearms."

Um, since when is that a crime?

Note the misleading headline, too.  [pissed]
[url]www.accessatlanta.com/partners/wsbtv/news/grenades0726.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:24:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:30:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I wonder how much the grenades are going for?....
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#3]
This is definately over the grenades.  Its still sickening to see that the 50 cal was given some shock value.  Can't most guns reach 2 miles anyway?  I'm not talking about accuracy, I'm talking about distance.  This sort of journalism isn't meant to inform, its meant to change public opinion.

Distgusting.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, he was definitely asking for trouble...  I'm not 100% convinced he was doing something illegal unless he actually put the parts together at some point.

My big issues with this story are the "Charged with possessing firearms" thing, the 50cal thing, and the fact the headline said that he was in obsession of grenades, when in fact he only had the parts necessary to create grenades.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#5]
[i].50 calibers that shoot for 2 miles[/i] and [i]illegal bullets???[/i]

[b]WOW!!!!!!![/b]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes, he was definitely asking for trouble...  I'm not 100% convinced he was doing something illegal unless he actually put the parts together at some point.

My big issues with this story are the "Charged with possessing firearms" thing, the 50cal thing, and the fact the headline said that he was in obsession of grenades, when in fact he only had the parts necessary to create grenades.
View Quote

1) Possesion of *%^#)@_@ could be the official title of the Statute, even if it covers more than firearms.

2) What you are saying about the grenades tho' is similar to saying that if I unscrew the FS from my AR-15 it's no longer a firearm because it's incomplete.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#7]
From the article, I don't understand what the basis of the arrest was. Was he a felon? He went to the sheriff when requested, and they arrested him? Sounds like he was co-operating, and unaware he was doing anything wrong...
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
2) What you are saying about the grenades tho' is similar to saying that if I unscrew the FS from my AR-15 it's no longer a firearm because it's incomplete.
View Quote

Not the same thing.

This is akin to saying that anybody who reloads and has components to do so that also possesses a grenade hull is in possession of a grenade.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have grenade bodies, greande explosive, grenade fuses. What do you have?? To say you don't have grenades isn't realistic.

Just like if you are a reloader...

If you have 20' feet of plastic pipe and gunpowder is much different than......

If you have 20' feet of plastic pipe, in 6" sections with 2 end caps each, gunpowder, and 20 lbs of 000 buck shot. But no other reloading componenents.

[red]ATF and Elbert County Sheriff deputies found explosives powders, hand grenade balls, materials for setting up the hand grenade to operate, and tools necessary to complete the process.[/red]

Grenades would be destrucive devices?? $200 each by 600............  Also if he was selling them to the government as he says, why would the be stored at his house?

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you have grenade bodies, greande explosive, grenade fuses. What do you have?? To say you don't have grenades isn't realistic.
View Quote

I just reread the link at the top, and it appears to be a slightly different version than I originally read.  This one has the guy saying he wanted to sell grenades to the government, which kind of blows the "innocent reloader" theory out of the water.  My appologies.

IIRC, the original story I read indicated he had powder, primers, grenade hulls, and maybe some springs.

Grenades would be destrucive devices?? $200 each by 600............
View Quote

In that case, the crime should be tax evasion, and not "unlawful possession of a firearm." [:D]

Just kidding...
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't get me wrong, there's no question this guy had [b]something[/b] coming to him.  I'm just complaining about the shitty quality of journalism these days.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the meant Unlawful possesion of a destructive device, or 600.

As far as the journalism, .50 cal..... illegal ammunition..... then it doesn't have any type of info about either, did he have a .50 cal musket? The article really tells us very little.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top