Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/23/2012 8:26:15 PM EDT
On Netflix streaming.  I've watched the first 2 episodes and was kinda bored.  Do they get better or is that pretty much it?  I loved TNG, DS9 and VOY.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
On Netflix streaming.  I've watched the first 2 episodes and was kinda bored.  Do they get better or is that pretty much it?  I loved TNG, DS9 and VOY.

There were some good episodes, but you have to remember this was the 1960's, the level of acting and production was way less than what you're used to today. I would say there was a fair number of duds but a few gems.  

On the other hand, I think TNG looks really bad compared to more modern SciFi.  Was watching BBC America the other day and watched BSG which was followed by TNG.  Seeing them back to back like that, I thought TNG looked very weak in comparison. DS9 and Voy fare better in my opinion.

Link Posted: 8/23/2012 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#2]
How could you like DS9, but be bored by TOS?
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#3]
TOS isn't so nearly action packed. The acting is crappy, the sets are crappy, and the dialog is cheesy. But the plots can be very interesting and though provoking. It did a good job of using sic-fi as a vehicle to explore various ideas and quandaries. That's what you watch it for.

Most "sci-fi" these days is based upon suspense and drama. TOS only gives those token efforts in order to move the story along.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There were some good episodes, but you have to remember this was the 1960's, the level of acting and production was way less than what you're used to today. I would say there was a fair number of duds but a few gems.  

On the other hand, I think TNG looks really bad compared to more modern SciFi.  Was watching BBC America the other day and watched BSG which was followed by TNG.  Seeing them back to back like that, I thought TNG looked very weak in comparison. DS9 and Voy fare better in my opinion.

supposedly they are remastering TNG because it was all edited on VHS tapes.

i barely remember any of the TOS episodes and i used to watch them all the time with my dad. the nazi one and tribbles stand out other then that i cant remember them.

Link Posted: 8/23/2012 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's weird you posted this. I watched the first 2 this week and found them boring as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#6]

ST:TOS remastered looks almost as good as a modern show.

Link Posted: 8/23/2012 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I watched the Gorn episode (Arena)  first run, in the second grade.  It scared me so badly I hid behind the couch and fell asleep.  I was kinda pissed at myself, because I had whined and wheedled for weeks to be allowed to watch.    

The show kind of had an influence on me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

i barely remember any of the TOS episodes and i used to watch them all the time with my dad. the nazi one and tribbles stand out other then that i cant remember them.

Yeah, they've finished that. They went back to the original negatives and even re-rendered the model shots and matte backgrounds in CGI.  Even re-recorded the opening and closing music.  Not sure if that is what Netflix is showing or not.

There were some good plots in TOS.  Ironically, I think TNG had some of the best actors but some of the worst writing, particularly in the first year or two.  The stories were preachy, which some of the TOS stories were preachy as well, but in TOS they balanced out the preachiness with more suspense and comedy.  For some reason it just came off better.  A lot of the TNG stories seem really ham handed to me.

Link Posted: 8/23/2012 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

"City on the Edge of Forever" was a good TOS episode. One of the best I think.

Link Posted: 8/23/2012 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wormholes and Shapeshifters and Cardassians oh my!
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wormholes and Shapeshifters and Cardassians oh my!

Jem'hadar and don't forget The USS Defiant! (BSMFPH)

Link Posted: 8/23/2012 10:06:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what I was thinking.

I also like the one when they go back in time to earth and have to beam the pilot of the F-104 on board
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they've finished that. They went back to the original negatives and even re-rendered the model shots and matte backgrounds in CGI.  Even re-recorded the opening and closing music.  Not sure if that is what Netflix is showing or not.

There were some good plots in TOS.  Ironically, I think TNG had some of the best actors but some of the worst writing, particularly in the first year or two.  The stories were preachy, which some of the TOS stories were preachy as well, but in TOS they balanced out the preachiness with more suspense and comedy.  For some reason it just came off better.  A lot of the TNG stories seem really ham handed to me.

What they're showing isn't the remastered version, that's for sure. The Netflix version looks like it was transferred from 25 year old VHS tapes found in a moldy basement.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Smoke a bowl, sit back and shut up...you're overthinking this...

Try the same with Popeye cartoons.
You'll be amazed at how entertained you'll be...!!!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Depends on the person, I suppose. I loved it because of all the sub themes here and there. But then again, I was watching BSG classic, (complete, not the censored stuff) today and loved that as well for the same reasons.

But to cut to the chase and answer the question......does it get any better?

What do you think?
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry, TOS is the only series worth a shit. Watch them all, and enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the award-winning episodes, was written by Harlan Ellison... who swore he'd never write for ST again.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

ST:TOS remastered looks almost as good as a modern show.

Horse races.

To me, looking at some of that digitally remastered stuff, such as the Doomsday Machine, makes me sick. Give me the old stuff, please!............as it is, I have almost the complete series on VHS/DVD.

Quoted:
TOS isn't so nearly action packed. The acting is crappy, the sets are crappy, and the dialog is cheesy. But the plots can be very interesting and though provoking. It did a good job of using sic-fi as a vehicle to explore various ideas and quandaries. That's what you watch it for.

Most "sci-fi" these days is based upon suspense and drama. TOS only gives those token efforts in order to move the story along.

Well, one has to remember, that back then, no one expected the episodes to be watched as much as they are. One or two more looks, maybe a little syndication, and that would be it.

Okay, now that I have made a point or two, let me get to the analysis portion.

TOS was like American Diplomacy up to but not including Kissinger. Anything happens "out there", the ambassador handles it. In TOS, Kirk handles it.

But TNG is like Diplomacy Kissinger and after. Anything happens out there, the Secretary of State is out on the next plane to handle it. TNG, they warp an admiral out to take charge.

Quite frankly, one of the things about TNG that irritated me were the various things that should have gotten Picard canned. Such as when Lore took off with Data. Picard abandons his task force command, empties the ship of crew in a war zone to look for one man, and puts Crusher in charge of the ship. This is not the action of a true commanding officer.

I am wondering which two episodes you have watched. Quite frankly, my fav has always been "Where No Man Has Gone Before". The concept of a super Esper is just incredible.  

Others that I love are "Dagger of the mind", "Mirror, Mirror", "The Man Trap", "The Enemy Within", "Mudd's Women", "The Conscience of the King", "The Return of the Archons", "Who Mourns for Adonais", "Wolf in the Fold", "A Private Little War", "Bread and Circuses", "The Paradise Syndrome". "The Tholian Web", "Wink of an Eye", "Whom Gods Destroy", "Let that be Your Last Battlefield", "That Which Survives", "Requiem for Methuselah", and "All our yesterdays".

Some, like Wink, Requiem, and Yesterdays because they are about sci fi concepts I like. Others like Dagger, Man Trap, Mudd's, and Conscience, because they have sub theme plots that shows how their world works. For example, in "Mudd's Women", Kirk holds an admiralty board.

Some of them just have got great interchanges between the cast such as Archons, Gods Destroy, Enemy, and Circuses. Others show just what a Starship can do such as with Paradise,  Circuses, and Adonais.

Some might see Apollo as a little gay being in that toga, but I loved Spock laying down wrath while taking fire from a new definition of "shore batteries".

Ones like Wolf, Tholian, Survives, and Battlefield because the foe they are dealing with is incredibly powerful. "A Private Little War" is what I was saying about pre Kissinger diplomacy.  Occassionally, some good ole merciless violence such as Mirror is nice to have.

One of the things of the current era that I find sucks is how they have explained a lot of what happened in TOS. It is better when it is a mystery, when one can think and dream about it.

I suppose if one just takes it on the face value, or just goes with the story on top, they are not going to like it as much as someone one like me.............but that's what makes horse races.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
("You're part Vulcan, aren't you? So a pretty face has no effect on you.....not if you don't want it to, that is. Save it, my darlings. His kind can turn off their emotions at will."––Mudd with his women in the turbolift with Spock, (w,stte), ST:TOS, "Mudd's Women")
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 1:23:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The DS9 episode that had scenes from "The Trouble with Tribbles" cut into it was great for a TOS fan.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 1:32:14 AM EDT
[#21]
DS9 was so damn boring, quark was its only saving grace.  VOY, well it was just utter garbage.

TNG wins all the chips...aside from Wesley Crusher and Worf's son.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 1:39:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
DS9 was so damn boring, quark was its only saving grace.  VOY, well it was just utter garbage.

Somethin tells me you didn't make it to far in the ds9 series. I have seen them all and ds 9 was, by far the best. Babylon 5 is also a fantastic series.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 1:42:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Seriously.  Ds9 turned me off to the whole franchise.  Thank God for Voyager.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 1:50:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somethin tells me you didn't make it to far in the ds9 series. I have seen them all and ds 9 was, by far the best. Babylon 5 is also a fantastic series.

I did, I just couldn't stand Sisko.  O'Brien and Worf made it bearable.  I guess I just got burnt out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 2:10:42 AM EDT
[#25]
To me, the good thing about DS 9 was that each episode could be watched on its own. Each episode gave a complete story, one wasn't left wondering, having to go off to search for the next episode. It could be, to an extent, watched in any order.

The Dominion War was a little bit hard follow over the seasons, of why it took them so long to win it, but one could forgive that.

Best character? Dax, either Jadzia or Ezri. Least character? Well, there really wasn't one since they were all necessary. Jake or Quark may have low on my list, but they were needed for the show.

Fav episode? "Field of Fire" (7th season). There is no really least episode and I have not seen them all, though I am hesitant to watch "Profit and Lace".

The alternate universe stories have their points though I wasn't too crazy about them overall. But seeing a sexy Kira, a butch Ezri , and proof that whatever Kirk puts his hands on, he can royally screw it up, is enjoyable.

Best villain? Damar.

Voyager was like TOS. They got away from it all, the administration, the Admirals, and they were free to explore. But here again, I have not seen all the episodes. One of the good things about Voyager was that for the most part, they didn't get caught in a theme that episode after episode was dedicated to, such as getting into a war. Of course, there was that Jeri Ryan theme they fell into.

Enterprise......I saw that teaser on the first show and I never went back to watch any of it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
("Then why are you here?"––native
"Because we are explorers and your world interests us and we would like to know more."––Janeway
"And if we refuse?"
"Then we will be disappointed but we will respect your wishes and we will leave.", (w,stte), Voyager, "Thirty Days")
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 2:17:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 2:28:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hell, I would say that it is one best pieces of TV period.
Regardless of series or genre.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What they're showing isn't the remastered version, that's for sure. The Netflix version looks like it was transferred from 25 year old VHS tapes found in a moldy basement.

They're slowlyy releasing the remastered seasons on BluRay. I think only the first has come out so far.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 2:38:23 AM EDT
[#28]
What is it that makes "City on the edge of forever" most people's favorite?

For me, it's okay but a lot of what I like in the other episodes just isn't there. About my favorite part of it is in the "sig line".

So what is it?
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm a fan and TOS is my favorite.

That said, the first half of the first season is probably the hardest to get through. It took a little time for the writers to get comfortable and get things moving.

If you're about to give up, skip ahead a bit, and then go back and watch those first few episodes later.

Or just watch Season 2 first. Lots of classic eps in that season, including "Trouble with Tribbles."
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Gotta remember it's the 1960's. Start from the last show and go to the start.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

For me, it's okay but a lot of what I like in the other episodes just isn't there. About my favorite part of it is in the "sig line".

So what is it?

I'm not too good on episode titles. Which one was City on the edge of forever?
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I was in the same boat a couple of years ago.  I'd seen all the movies and the later shows, and really enjoyed them, but I'd only seen maybe 12 episodes of the original show.  I decided to sit down and watch them all.

It's definitely a different style, and you have to just ignore the dated effects, costumes, and sets.  I love Red Dwarf, even though it only had a $2 budget, early episodes especially, so that's not a problem.

My main issue was that many of the episodes were just bad.  Badly written with uneven acting.  There are some great gems in there, but they are the exception, not the rule.

There were 79 episodes.

I'd say 10 were great, 15 were decent, 20 were mediocre, and the rest were stink bombs, give or take.

It's still worth it to watch them.  The good episodes are rewarding, and even the bad ones can still be entertaining, even if it wasn't in the intended way.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what is it?

("Why does he call you Captain?"––Edith

"We....served together."––Kirk, (w,stte), ST:TOS, "The City on the Edge of Forever")

McCoy accidentally travels back to 1930s America and screws up history.  Kirk and Spock follow him back and try to repair the damage.  It had Joan Collins in it.

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#34]
The first season of TNG was simply horrible.  If I do watch TNG and I see Riker without a beard or Deanna with her hair in a bun, I shut it off.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the person, I suppose. I loved it because of all the sub themes here and there. But then again, I was watching BSG classic, (complete, not the censored stuff) today and loved that as well for the same reasons.

http://www.wildsoundmovies.com/images/star_trek_helen_noel.jpg

http://www.jeffdulac.fr/images_ephemerides/celebrites/MadlynRhue.jpg

What do you think?

Got to love a Sci-Fi show where all the female crew are dressed like cocktail waitresses.

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So what is it?

McCoy accidentally travels back to 1930s America and screws up history.  Kirk and Spock follow him back and try to repair the damage.  It had Joan Collins in it.

OK, thanks. I remember that one.

Bones[ hey! what planet is this?} Bones
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#37]
TNG is my favorite, followed closely by DS9, then Voyager, then Enterprise, and finally TOS.

Don't get me wrong, I still watched every TOS episode and liked most of them, but I grew up on TNG and some parts of TOS are just too cheesy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#38]
You need to watch the following episodes:

Balance of Terror

The Doomsday Machine

The City on the Edge of Forever

Space Seed

Journey to Babel

I, Mudd

The Ultimate Computer

These are an excellent start.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Have you seen the green dancing girl yet??
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#40]
The one with Frank Gorshin. Black on one side, white on the other.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I still prefer it to the others, although the production values are a bit dated. Some of them are very well written stories. Others have some of the best unintentional hilarity ever broadcast.

When you watch Spock's Brain, look for the woman who says to Kirk, "Brain and brain. What is brain?"
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The first season of TNG was simply horrible.  If I do watch TNG and I see Riker without a beard or Deanna with her hair in a bun, I shut it off.

My que is Collars.  In the Thrid season they added collars to the uniforms and better writers to the scripts.

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 1:46:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I liked some of Dr. McCoy's sayings

"I'm a doctor not an escalator"   Fridays Child

"I'm a doctor not a brick layer"  Devil in the dark   (I really like this episode because of the appearances can be deceiving angle)
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My que is Collars.  In the Thrid season they added collars to the uniforms and better writers to the scripts.

From what I've read the jumpsuits in the first two seasons were so tight they were giving Patrick Stewart back problems, necessitating the costume change.

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Janeway,  Sisco, Tuvok, Quark, Odo, Dax, Kim, Paris, Quark's kid, Sisco's kid, Bashir, Chacote...

Twelve reasons that both DS9 and Voyager are unwatchable most episodes.  TOS and TNG had better characters by far.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You need to watch the following episodes:

Balance of Terror

The Doomsday Machine

The City on the Edge of Forever

Space Seed

Journey to Babel

I, Mudd

The Ultimate Computer

These are an excellent start.

Good list . . . add Enterprise Incident.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.wildsoundmovies.com/images/star_trek_helen_noel.jpg

http://www.jeffdulac.fr/images_ephemerides/celebrites/MadlynRhue.jpg

What do you think?

Had the hots for Miramanee
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#48]
OP is dildos.

"Mirror, Mirror"

"Shore Leave"

"City on the Edge of Forever"

"The Trouble with Tribbles"

"The Squire of Gothos"

"Errand of Mercy"

"Assignment: Earth" (young Teri Gar, yum)

That should get you started.

The Netflix episodes are excellent quality.

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#49]
I thought I knew a lot about Star Trek but what the hell is "TOS"?
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This.

TNG didn't get good until they got collars on their uniforms.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top