Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2002 4:50:04 PM EDT
I just upgraded my bug-out pack from a cheapo small psuedo-military backpack to an ALICE pack. It's amazing what you end up putting into a bigger pack simply because there's more room.

The little one weighed about 15lbs. The ALICE pack now weighs about 35-40lbs. I could probably survive indefinitely with the ALICE and its contents.

What type of packs do y'all have ready to go and have you decided on being "minimalist" or have you gone overboard with them?
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 338 Win Mag, a knife, and a piece of visqueen. I can survive until I run out of cigarettes.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a 338 Win Mag, a knife, and a piece of visqueen. I can survive until I run out of cigarettes.
View Quote

What the heck is "visqueen?"
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
What is visqueen?

What happens when you run out of cigarettes? Do you turn into a pumpkin?

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]
What size Alice pack did you buy? Sm, Med, Lrg? Someone posted a good thread on bug-out-bags a few months ago. Lots of members posted their lists. I'd like to know what other's pack too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What is visqueen?

View Quote

Visqueen is the plastic they put under new concrete floors.
Not to many people out side the construction industry uses that word.
It has hundreds of uses.
We used to stretch it between two pickups with racks on them for and instant tent
Take a 6'x10' piece, cut a hole in the middle and you have a rain suit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I feel your pain. Lately, I've tried to give some more thought to the BObag? and the situations that will/could warrant the need.
I've settled on three "options" (for want of a better word.
1) Main pack, to survive independently, most likely on foot, mostly in a rural/partial urban area. Must be capable of quickly shedding non-fighting essentials.
2) Minimalist pack for moving on foot through urban areas where most/all social services have broken down. (although NOT TEOTW situation)
3) Vehicle bag/packing plan...for moving small family a distance greater than crosstown. Needless to say, a work in progress.  Is yours similar to my #2? Contents?     Stay safe
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is visqueen?

View Quote

Visqueen is the plastic they put under new concrete floors.
Not to many people out side the construction industry uses that word.
It has hundreds of uses.
We used to stretch it between two pickups with racks on them for and instant tent
Take a 6'x10' piece, cut a hole in the middle and you have a rain suit.
View Quote

Visqueen, Duct tape and the Blackhawk Patrol Pack...three of mans greatest inventions.

[img]http://store2.blackhawkindustries.com/thumbs/t995.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been pouring concrete floors for over a decade and have never heard the poly we use under floors called, "visqueen." We just call it poly or plastic. Hmmm.

My ALICE pack is the medium size, I think. Like I said earlier, I could probably survive indefinitely with this thing. Perhaps I've got too much EOTWAWKI stuff in it. It could use to lose 5-10lbs. anyway.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#10]
The heavy clear plastic sheeting has been called Visqueen (not sure of spelling) for at least 40 years.

It can also be draped to catch rain water... for drinking!

Link Posted: 7/27/2002 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And I just added a Yaesu VX-5R, a most amazing ham radio HT that is the size of a pack of ciggarettes but transmits on 3 ham bands, recives police and fire freqs, FM, AM and shortwave brodcasts. [url]elkel.ca/yaesu_a/vx-5r.htm[/url]

I very strongly believe that in any situation information is the key to success, and with this unit I can listen to all public saftey freq's, AM, FM, and Shortwave broadcasts, and keep in touch with all the other hams out there or my family/friends who I supply with radios. I will know where the problems are, where they are not, and where to go/not go. That will keep me from hopefully having to ever use my weapons. A huge edge/advantage that only wieghs 255 grams!
View Quote

That's a pretty neat little unit.  I don't know squat about ham radio, but have a friend who's into it.

How much does a unit like that run?  Is it versatile enough to be a "one and only" unit for someone who basically just wants it as a glorified scanner and SHTF radio?

My "to buy" list just got a little longer, I think.  [:D]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#14]
What type of packs do y'all have ready to go and have you decided on being "minimalist" or have you gone overboard with them?
View Quote

Gregory Whitney

[img]http://a1072.g.akamai.net/f/1072/2062/1h/gallery.rei.com/regularimages/682716.jpg[/img]

My wife and I are both avid backpackers and spend a lot on the best gear we can afford.   With a capacity over 6,000 cubic inches, and a suspension system that makes even a 70 pound load easy to carry, you could easily live out of this bag for months.

I'm a minimalist in the sense that I only carry what will make me comfortable and safe in the worst situation that I can forsee myself getting into for the duration of my trip.  And then I overdo it.  This last winter my pack weighed about 70 lbs including food and water for four days.  I think my wifes pack weighed in at about 45 lbs.  In hot weather my pack usually weighs closer to 50 lbs and my wifes is closer to 35 or 40.  Needless to say, after a couple of days walking through the woods with you life on your back you begin to re-evaluate certain things.  Like, "Do we really both need our own toothbrush?" and other weight saving things.

I could list everything we carry, but it would take up a lot of space. [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top