Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2002 8:47:11 PM EDT
Ok here is my story. Ive got an eye doc appointment tomarrow at 1pm. they told me they wanted to dialate my eyes to look into getting me prescription glasses fine. then they tell me I cant drive the rest of the day. So thats OK but Im supposed to go to a Chris Ledoux concert tomarrow night at 9pm. Does anone know if ill be able to driver there/ back and watch the concert without damaging my eyes.If its a no then they sure as hell are not dialating my eyes tommarrow
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had my eyes dilated a couple of times for ophthalmologists to remove pieces of metal. It does make your eyes very sensitive to light, but I drove right afterward on both occasions. Just make sure you have some really dark sun glasses and you will be fine. It usually wears off in a few hours.[:)]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm no expert, but

This is a little one, i

This is a big one, I

A red one, [red]I[/red]

and of course the dreaded pink one, [pink]I[/pink]

Actually, I have had this done before and I drove afterwards, the big deal is bright light.
If you don't have a pair of dark sunglasses they will give you a pair to wear afterwards. You'll be ok at the concert, don't look right into any lights though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm no expert, but

This is a little one, i

This is a big one, I

A red one, [red]I[/red]

and of course the dreaded pink one, [pink]I[/pink]

Actually, I have had this done before and I drove afterwards, the big deal is bright light.
If you don't have a pair of dark sunglasses they will give you a pair to wear afterwards. You'll be ok at the concert, don't look right into any lights though.
View Quote

LOL [:D]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 6:21:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I recently had a detailed eye exam and they offered reversal drops to shorten the return to normal time by 1/2.

Worked like a charm in 3 hours I was back to normal.

Ryan
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Big eye problem and exam veteran here.

I think you'll be OK if you wear dark shades and avoid looking anywhere near the sun.  I can drive OK but not read things up close for about 6 - 8 hours after getting the eyes dilated.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 6:37:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a pair of the full wrap-around dark glasses you see old-folks wearing over their regular glasses.  Bright light, even coming in the sides of regular sunglasses, [i]hurts[/i].  And your close-up vision will [i]suck[/i].  I can barely read my speedometer when I drive after being dialated.  It takes me 4-5 hours to return to normal.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:19:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I get this test done every year (I'm a diabetic); the recommendations to bring and wear dark sunglasses are all right on the money. I do strongly urge you to have someone with you to drive you home from the eye exam.  Your vision will be impaired enough to be a risk to both yourself *and to others* if you get behind the wheel.

If you don't bring sunglasses you can expect a lot of discomfort when you go outside after the exam unless it's a dark overcast.  The usual end result is a nasty headache from the eye strain.  Wear the sunglasses in the house too for a couple of hours, don't try to watch TV or read during that time either or you again risk a headache.

Your vision should be back to at or near normal by the time you leave in the evening to go to the concert although you probably would want to have the sunglasses with you at least for the drive over.  You'll know it's safe to drive at least with sunglasses on when you can look in the bathroom mirror and see your face clearly.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:21:37 AM EDT
[#9]
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night  [:D]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:25:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Might be good to get some drops for the gear bag. Cheap form of night vision.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top