Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2002 11:23:05 AM EDT
The last two months studying for this dreadful test have probably been the worst 60 days of my life...(in comparison, Bootcamp was fun and law school was a breeze)...

Now, in the last few days left before the test, I'm buckling down for the final showdown.  I hope I never have to take this test again.

If you guys could please spare the time, a little prayer would be much appreciated...thanks all...

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#1]
so you're asking us to pray for another lawyer?

oy

Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#2]
You can do it. Then be careful in the post completion and post passing celebrations.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Sure, there are good-guy lawyers. Some of them are even pro-gunners. [^]

Scipio, best of luck to you! I'm sure you'll do just fine.  When it's all over the [<]:)] can begin!
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#4]
scipio, where are you going to practice after you are licensed? And what law school?

Texashark, Baylor, '81
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Dear Heavenly Father, please be with Scipio as he sits for his Bar Exam.  Guide him in his understanding of the questions and allow him to invoke your divine intervention when he writes the answers.

In the name of your son, Jesus Christ, make Scipio an instrument of your will, so that he may pass this test and seek other, more worthy, tests in your name.

Lord, if it please you, also make sure that brother Scipio doesn't become a scumsucking, bottom-feeding, ambulance chasing, tort-happy asshole, hell bent on making an honest man's life miserable as he wrings the last drop of blood from his clients.

In Jesus' name we pray,
Amen.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm, I've composed a lot of prayers in my life, but this is a new one for me! [:D]

Oh I know, I'll simply repeat the prayer that I used for me, when I was praying to pass the Bar Exam!

The underlying text for my prayer can be found in [b]Luke, Chapter 11:[/b]

46  And he said, [red][b]Woe unto you also, ye lawyers! for ye lade men with burdens grievous to be borne, and ye yourselves touch not the burdens with one of your fingers.[/red][/b]

52  [red][b]Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.[/red][/b]

Holy Father, Please be with our brother [b]Scipio[/b], as he seeks to become a lawyer. Be with him in all ways and bring into his remembrance the statutes and ordinances of this State, the legal doctrines of men, and the commandments of its laws.

Answer his prayers, Holy Father, and reward him with the desire of his heart, to be a just and righteous lawyer, a protector of the widow and the orphan, a friend to the oppressed and to the poor, and a champion of right reason in all matters.

In Jesus Holy Name, Amen.

Eric The(HonestToGod)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#9]
And Lord, if Fatman ever needs a lawyer give him a sweet, kind, easy-going newbie lawyer so that one of us "scumsucking, bottom-feeding, ambulance chasing, tort-happy a**hole" ar-15 lovin'lawyers can tear a new one for him and his client.

Link Posted: 7/25/2002 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lord, if it please you, also make sure that brother Scipio doesn't become a scumsucking, bottom-feeding, ambulance chasing, tort-happy asshole, hell bent on making an honest man's life miserable as he wrings the last drop of blood from his clients.

In Jesus' name we pray,
Amen.
View Quote

I'm not sure whether to LMFAO or give a resounding non-religious "Amen!" in response to this...

You've made my day.

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And Lord, if Fatman ever needs a lawyer give him a sweet, kind, easy-going newbie lawyer so that one of us "scumsucking, bottom-feeding, ambulance chasing, tort-happy a**hole" ar-15 lovin'lawyers can tear a new one for him and his client.

View Quote

Texashark, you misquoted me.  A member of the AR15.com brotherhood would never fall in to the "scumsucking, etc..." category.  At least none of the ones that I have met so far. I'm just imploring our Heavenly Father to keep it that way. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Fatman, sorry to have misquoted you. With the clarification, I'll change it to "and bless Fatman,too."  [:)]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fatman, sorry to have misquoted you. With the clarification, I'll change it to "and bless Fatman,too."  [:)]
View Quote

Thanks, I need all I can get. [0:)]/[}:)]

I was discussing my brother's divorce with a friend of mine (a lawyer) and was lamenting that both my brother's and his ex-wife's lawyers had managed to wind up with ALL the money when the divorce was final.

My friend's comment: "Ahh.  I like a happy ending!" [:D]

Link Posted: 7/25/2002 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#14]
F*** the BAR!!!!  You don't NEED it to practice law!  It is a *voluntary* organization, and only about 1/2 of the practicing lawyers in the US belong to the ABA.

Also, did you know that they, as a group, are ANTI-GUN?????
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Dude, relax you will do fine.  Time managment is the key.  Repeat after me.  Time management is the key.

Remember, it is only a minimum competency test.  

Don't worry.  It's the ethics exam that is the tough one [:D]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Good luck Scipio; what state(s) are you taking?

Piece of advice #1 - relax.  Take the entire day before the exam off.  Have a couple margaritas out by the pool, see a movie, get a good meal with a hot date, whatever.  Do something...anything to get your mind off of it, and get rested and relaxed the day before. If you don't know it by the day before, that last 24 hours isn't going to help.

Piece of advice #2 - don't forget your #2 pencils.  (Saw some doofus sitting behind me walk in so nervous, he forgot his pencils.  What a dumbass.)
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Dear Heavenly Father, please be with Scipio as he sits for his Bar Exam.  Guide him in his understanding of the questions and allow him to invoke your divine intervention when he writes the answers.

In the name of your son, Jesus Christ, make Scipio an instrument of your will, so that he may pass this test and seek other, more worthy, tests in your name.

In Jesus' name we pray,
Amen.
View Quote

[b]DAMN IT...THAT'S FUNNY!  ROFLMAO![/b]

Sir, you got me with this one.  It really tickled my funny bone!  Here I am...reading along like it was a stolid, serious prayer...and then we come to the, "...rest of the story".  I started laughing so hard I damn near busted a gut.

My fellow AR.15'ers;  I hereby nominate [size=3][red][b]Brother FatMan[/b][/red][/size=3] to the illustrious McUzi Hall of Literary Fame for this great little prayer.  Pithy and to the point with brilliant clarity:  Now that's the way to make your point.  How CAN God ignore it?

Well Done FatMan!  Amen Brother.

[:D]

Link Posted: 7/25/2002 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
F*** the BAR!!!!  You don't NEED it to practice law!  It is a *voluntary* organization, and only about 1/2 of the practicing lawyers in the US belong to the ABA.

Also, did you know that they, as a group, are ANTI-GUN?????
View Quote
He's talking about his state bar, which he MUST join, not the American Bar Assoc.  They are completely different things.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Let me make sure I understand you. You want us to pray to G*d to [b]add[/b] another lawyer to the gene pool?????
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Good Luck scipio.  

I also take the bar starting on the 29th.  

I'll just take the prayers for myself too.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Drink one for me man!!!!!!

You mean the other Bar exam..........LOL

Good Luck
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
He's talking about his state bar, which he MUST join, not the American Bar Assoc.  They are completely different things.
View Quote

ANYONE can practice law in the USA without taking an exam or going to school.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Dear Father,
Please help Scipio in this his hour of need.Please let him come to his senses and find a truly honorable profession.And if he doesn't come to his senses please pour your wrath upon him as he has sold his soul to Satan.Amen
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Best of luck.

As someone who has been there, study your ass off from now until the test starts, and get a hotel room nearby the day before and halfway through, and another nearby the night it ends (trust me, your drunk ass can't drive and you want no reminders of the test while wasted)
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Good luck to you!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote
I assume that by "practice law," you do not mean representing other persons for a fee.  If you do, which is the meaning of "practice law," then you are wrong
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Best of luck to ya'.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Hi Scipio:

Couple of things to keep in mind:

1.  You've already passed a much harder test.  Semper Fi.

2.  Go down to your local courthouse and take a look around.  You will see a number of complete stumble bums there.  They're attorneys.  They past the test.  So can you.

3.  IGNORE all of the people trying to sell you extra books, courses, etc.  They are trying to make you nervous so you will buy their over priced goods.

4.  IGNORE the other people in the test.  They may look like they are breezing through but maybe they're skipping 60% of the answers.  

5.  Skip questions.  You get the same points for each question on the multiple guess tests (e.g., Federal Multi-State).  If you don't know the answer, jump ahead to the next question.  You do better to answer 5 easy (easier?) questions than to agonize over 1 difficult question.

6.  RELAX.  I had a "lucky" lighter with me.  Several classmates ahead and behind me also had it.  We figured that if the test was too killer, we would stand up, light the exam on fire, and walk out.  We knew we would be sucessful (even if we weren't lawyers).

7.  My advice based on the Bar a decade and a half ago.  Your milage may vary.

GOOD LUCK!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Gosh, I wish someone would have told me that before I did all that studying!

Sheesh!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#31]
No, Magnum99, SuperAlpha is right!  You CAN practice law in the United States without a degree, joining the ABA, or passing the bar exam...

UNTIL YOU GET CAUGHT!  Hahahahahahaa!

Ok that was my laugh for the night.  Thanks for the laugh SuperAlpha.  Oh yeah, I'll be taking the Missouri bar next July, a year from now, and, um, if ya'll would start the prayers immediately, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt at all...

Good luck Scipio!  Look how far you've come--sprint the last mile buddy!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Good luck
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No, Magnum99, SuperAlpha is right!  You CAN practice law in the United States without a degree, joining the ABA, or passing the bar exam...

UNTIL YOU GET CAUGHT!  Hahahahahahaa!

Ok that was my laugh for the night.  Thanks for the laugh SuperAlpha.  Oh yeah, I'll be taking the Missouri bar next July, a year from now, and, um, if ya'll would start the prayers immediately, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt at all...

Good luck Scipio!  Look how far you've come--sprint the last mile buddy!
View Quote

LOL!  

Enjoy your third year.  Take bar classes.  Don't take bullsh!t easy grade classes.  Get as much exposure to bar material as possible.  

But, third year can be fun.  Enjoy it because studying for the bar sucks and it comes WAY too soon.    
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Alright.  As a technical matter, it IS possible to practice law without going to law school.  Its called reading for the bar.  You notify the Bar Examiners of the state you want to prctice in of your intent and of the experienced attorney that will oversee your studies.  Its like the old apprentice system.  At the end of X number of years, you take the bar exam like everyone else.  

No all states still do this.  Before law schools were everywhere, this was a common method of becoming a member of the bar.  Abe Lincoln got his law license this way.  

It is fairly rare today.  

However, if any of you are thinking that you can practice law and give legal advice without having to pass the bar exam (and the ethics exam), pass the character and fitness screening, be sworn in, and doing your continuing legal education, you are sadly mistaken.  The bar is a guild and will zealously defend its monopoly (for the good of the clients you understand).

If any of you want to practice law without taking the dreaded bar exam, there is one way.  In some states, if you go to law school in state, you can skip the exam.  West Virginia is one that that offered that option.

Good luck with your studies.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Shit...you don't want my prayers...when I depart the good planet earth I'm on the express train to hell...but I will wish you luck on the bar [beer]  DRIVE ON !!
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#36]
One word: study.  Or I could say two words: study, study.  Get the idea.  I had taken two different states' exams and thankfully, passed them both.  The key is to study.

Another word of advise.  If there is any other state you might ever want to live in, take that exam in the spring.  You will be amazed at how much of what you study now you will retain then.  But if you wait a few years, you will then be surprised at how much you nolonger remember.

GOOD LUCK, the world can always use another lawyer who, and I am just guessing on this, has actually read the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#37]
worst 60 days? consider you sad self luck,,study. leave god out of the equation
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 11:45:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Dear God,

Wait, God won't have anything to do with earthly legal matters...

Hey Satan,

I'm sure you would like everyone to pass their BARs. But, in the event that you REALLY despise Scipio, I command you in the name of Jesus to stay the fuck out of his way and let him pass them.

How's that?

DISCLAIMER...I was NOT Praying to Beelzebub, just giving him a heads-up!

DA
Top Top