Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2002 4:28:48 PM EDT
anyone tried to learn another language using audio recordings alone? which brand did you use?

I drive 30-40 minutes each way to work 5 times a week, seems like that would be something productive that could be done in the car during that time.

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
anyone tried to learn another language using audio recordings alone? which brand did you use?

I drive 30-40 minutes each way to work 5 times a week, seems like that would be something productive that could be done in the car during that time.

View Quote

For me, it's tough to learn without seeing the words.  It does a lot of good to get the additional reinforcement.  But different people learn different ways.  Personally, I don't learn anything by listening.

I have used the Living Language series (their "Complete Course") with some success.  Once you get through one of those programs, you might be ok with reading & writing enough to get by, but you'll probably never learn conversation unless you find some native speakers to practice with regularly.  3 months with my girlfriend (from Argentina) did more for my spanish than 3 years of classes.  It's the difference between thinking about how to do pushups and actually doing them!
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't really do this on the way to work, but watching movies is very helpful.  Well, it works [b]really[/b] well for kids, but it may work for you too.  A friend of mine learned Arabic and German in about four months this way.  Of course, he was about 4 years old at the time.

I dunno, just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was stationed on Okinawa, I learned Japanese by watching samauri movies and American television shows that were dubbed in Japanese.  It also helps to talk to native speakers. Most are flattered that you want to learn their language, are very willing to help and will not laugh too much at your accent.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#4]
wat ak-sent?
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I dunno, but if you figure out how to do it,
let me know because I know a few folks at
the US post office and a few at the fast food joints that could used a lesson or two in english!
[):)]
nobodyz noz sumtings
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#6]
i needs lauage skillz so that i can hit on "exotic" women
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Anti Gov. Tinfoil Man,

I guess you are trying to be sophicticated so you can go to Europe and not get laughed at right?

All kidding aside though.

The best all around set of audio tapes you can use are put out by Michele Thomas.  HIs main specialty is of course French, but his company has put out other Euro Languages as well.  I have seen Italian and I think German as well.  YOu get about 8 CD's, like 8 to 10 ours of instruction there is no workbook, and everything is simple but cumulative.  I tried to teach my wife French but I couldnt deal with it.  We tried other books, computer software, etc.  Nothing allowed her to make rudimentary conversation like Michele Thomas.  They are about 80$ a set.  Try the French, you might find that being bi-lingual will get you in certain 'doors' you though were impossible.

Fals  
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hey Anti Gov. Tinfoil Man,

I guess you are trying to be sophicticated so you can go to Europe and not get laughed at right?
View Quote

nahh, i haven't even been to canada, and i don't plan on leaving the good ol usa any time soon either

All kidding aside though.

The best all around set of audio tapes you can use are put out by Michele Thomas.  HIs main specialty is of course French, but his company has put out other Euro Languages as well.  I have seen Italian and I think German as well.  YOu get about 8 CD's, like 8 to 10 ours of instruction there is no workbook, and everything is simple but cumulative.  I tried to teach my wife French but I couldnt deal with it.  We tried other books, computer software, etc.  Nothing allowed her to make rudimentary conversation like Michele Thomas.  They are about 80$ a set.  Try the French, you might find that being bi-lingual will get you in certain 'doors' you though were impossible.

Fals  
View Quote

more interested in german just because I've took a year of it in college, so i've got a little bit of stuff hidden away in the old coconut waiting to be dredged up

the entire motivation is to hit on the foreign womenz in the college bars woot

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top