Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2002 3:19:06 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy a use truck that has an extended cab and is a 4x4.  I want to stay under $10,000 which is really limiting my options.  I will either have to get an older truck with a lower miles or a newer truck with a lot of miles.  Older trucks will rust quicker and once a truck starts it spreads quickly.  Newer trucks with a lot of miles could have engine or drivetrain problems in the near future.  Any suggestions?  Should I go older and low miles or newer and high miles?
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Does it have to be a full size? If you could get by with a midsize, I would look for a Toyota Tacoma 4x 4 ext cab. They are nice. Ive seen very nice ones in your price range. They will run forever.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Find a private owner, friend so you know its track record, have dealer show you service records if it has a trail.  I would go older, low miles with a track record that you can follow up on. A lot of the newer high mile trucks are fleet, work trucks that are used and abused and traded in, while they still look good and are new.

Good luck !
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I've driven 2 Tacoma's in the last week and don't like them.  Everyone that owns one tells me the same thing, they ride rough and spin the tires if the road is wet.  One of the Tacomas didn't like to stop when it was wet either.  So yes I want a full size mainly because I don't feel safe in the smaller trucks.  Toyota's keep their value and a 5 year old Tacoma ext cab 4x4 starts about $12k.  I haven't taken out a Ranger or Dakota yet.  Anyone have experience with one of those?
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with BallisticTip, go older with low miles.  You can usually find someone who bought one and it has become less than practical to continue owning it.  There are deals out there.  Especially with the increase in gas prices. Be patient if you can, it will pay off.  I like full size trucks myself.  If you like, suburbans are pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there any truth to the saleman's claim that 88 and older Chevy trucks were galvonized and won't rust.  I don't belive that for a minute.  Although the 93 K1500 that I looked at today was in excellent shape.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a '97 GMC 1/2 Ton Ext CAB 4x4 w/130K  miles for 9K cash. Needed an A/C comp. I have had many GM trucks and it's not unusual to get 200K out of 'em before needing something major done.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't get a lower mileage older Ford would be my advice.  That is, unless you like to repair rust everywhere, and I mean everywhere, even under the hood.  Unfortunate personal experiences here.

Edited to ad an s to the end of experience![:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top