User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2002 7:16:57 AM EDT
See the last paragraph at the bottom.
===========================================================
The Washington Times
www.washtimes.com
[url]http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20020723-19177660.htm[/url]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Husbands forget spats, wives never do

Published 7/23/2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Husbands never remember marital spats. Wives never forget.
     A new study of that ancient matrimonial given suggests a reason: Women's brains are wired both to feel and to recall emotions more keenly than the brains of men.
    A team of psychologists tested groups of women and men for their ability to recall or recognize highly evocative photographs three weeks after first seeing them and found that the women's recollections were more accurate by 10 percent to 15 percentage points.
    The study, appearing in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, also used magnetic resonance imaging, or MRIs, to make images of the subjects' brains as they were exposed to the pictures. It found that the women's neural responses to emotional scenes were much more active than the men's.
    Turhan Canli, an assistant professor of psychology at State University of New York Stony Brook, says the study shows that a woman's brain is better organized to perceive and remember emotions.
    "The wiring of emotional experience and the coding of that experience into memory is much more tightly integrated in women than in men," says Mr. Canli, the lead author of the study. "A larger percentage of the emotional stimuli used in the experiment were remembered by women than by men."
    Other authors of the study are John E. Desmond, Zuo Zhao and John D.E. Gabrieli, all of Stanford University.
    The findings are consistent with earlier research that found differences in the workings of the minds of women and men, says Diane F. Halpern, director of the Berger Institute for Work, Family, and Children and a professor of psychology at Claremont McKenna College in California.
    Miss Halpern says the study "makes a strong link between cognitive behavior and a brain structure that gets activated" when exposed to emotional stimuli.
    "It advances our understanding of the link between cognition and the underlying brain structures," she says. "But it doesn't mean that those are immutable, that they can't change with experience."
    Miss Halpern says the study also supports earlier findings that women, in general, have a better autobiographical memory for anything, not just emotional events.
    She says the study supports the folkloric idea that a wife has a truer memory for marital spats than does her husband. "One reason for that is that it has more meaning for women, and they process it a little more. But you can't say that we've found the brain basis for this, because our brains are constantly changing."

-- continued --
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#1]
    In the study, Mr. Canli and his colleagues individually tested the emotional memories of 12 women and 12 men using a set of pictures. Some of the pictures were ordinary, and others were designed to evoke strong emotions. Each of the subjects viewed the pictures and graded them on a three-point scale ranging from "not emotionally intense" to "extremely emotionally intense."
    As the subjects looked at the pictures, images were taken of their brains using magnetic resonance imaging. This measures neural blood flow and can identify portions of the brain that are active.
    [b]Mr. Canli says women and men had distinctively different emotional responses to the same photos. [b]For instance, the men would see a gun and call it neutral, but for women it would be "highly, highly negative" and evoke strong emotions.[/b]

Copyright © 2002 News World Communications, Inc. All rights reserved
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Yet women, far more than men, need a gun as an equalizer.  I try to point that out to all women I meet when the discussion turns to guns.  I point out to them that the anti-gun groups would rather they be raped than kill the rapists, that these same groups, as well as women's groups, think more highly of a woman who has allowed herself to be raped than a woman who has blown out the brains of a rapists.  I am trying to appeal to their emotional nature, but I guess there is just too much logic in the above argument.

On a lighter note, I was at Tucker Gun in the Atlanta area yesterday.  This lady in her seventies comes in looking for FULL AUTO.  She said her late husband told her to have as much firepower as possible in case there are more than one attacker.  She asked if they would be about $500 and was told that it would be more like $5000.  She said 'that's no problem'.  They directed her to a class III store.  She was fiesty and very cool.  After she left, I got to thinking that she was only 20 years older than I and obviously rich.  Damn, I should have made a move.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:52:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yet women, far more than men, need a gun as an equalizer.  I try to point that out to all women I meet when the discussion turns to guns.  I point out to them that the anti-gun groups would rather they be raped than kill the rapists, that these same groups, as well as women's groups, think more highly of a woman who has allowed herself to be raped than a woman who has blown out the brains of a rapists.  I am trying to appeal to their emotional nature, but I guess there is just too much logic in the above argument.
View Quote

I agree, it is due to years of brainwashing by the antis to woman than she is more likely to be killed by her own gun, than be raped.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:56:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife would think "positive" or "neutral".

I'll see to it that my daughters think, "Very VERY POSITIVE!"

[;)]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife was anti-gun big time, my solution was simple, inundate her with a lot of guns and accessories, now she doesn't know what's new or old because I tell her its ALL old stuff.
She has lighten up big time, mainly because she see that I put safety first.

Oh this is funny, she found my 9mm ready to go mode and she put a little paddle lock on the trigger guard, she thinks its safe now. LOL boy she has one up on me  
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#9]
And this is news? Geez...

Women are programmed this way so when SHTF, they are emotionally programmed to take care of baby, forsaking all else.

Men, OTH, are programmed to forget because historically, we go through SHTF every day of our lives, and if we remembered all the BS and carried all the emotional baggage, we would die 20 years earlier than women instead of 5 years earlier.

In any case, women can be deprogrammed to not be afraid of guns.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#10]
makes ya wonder why all gun guys refer to their guns as "she" or "her."

[:D]

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife had a very interesting reaction to this:

"I find it interesting that the writer of the article chose the reaction to guns as the example of women's vs. men's reactions.  Notice that men were NEUTRAL, not good.   Why use that particular example, and not one where the photograph evoked strongly opposing reactions in the subjects?  Wouldn't an example where there was a strong positive from one side and a strong negative from the other be a more compelling illustration of the differences between the genders?  Also, I thought the whole gist of the study was to show how women have overall better recollection of events, emotions, etc.  So what was the point of the gun example if it wasn't followed up with something telling how/why the women remembered seeing that particular photo?"

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#13]
greywolf -

Just that quickly, your wife has defrocked the junk sceince that makes up so much of todays' research and journalism.

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've long said that men's and women's brains are wired differently.

Men are hunters/gatherers/protectors and women are nurturers/care providers/offspring raisers. It's a fact of nature. This complementary relationship is what has enabled the human species to survive all these thousands of years.
View Quote

Yep, I agree. I have noticed that we men are visually oriented(which is why magazines like Playboy, Penthouse do so well), and of course woman are more verbal oriented. I think that natured has wired men to be attracted to the woman, and to give her the maximum number of suitors to select mates.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#15]
My wife sees a picture of a gun and generally says something along the lines of

Her: "Oooh, we need one of those!"
Me:  "Sweety, that's a $3k 1911."
Her: "Yeah, we definitely need one of those.  And when are you going to buy your own AR so you'll quit fondling mine?"
Me:  "Yours?  I bought that AR for me!"
Her: "I shoot it better, therefore it's mine."
Me:  "This is so unfair..."

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife still hasn't forgiven me for eating the last half of a Milky Way bar in 1995.  How's that for a memory of a traumatic event?

Sheesh. [rolleyes]

-White Horse

That's what she gets for leaving it unguarded. [}:D]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My wife still hasn't forgiven me for eating the last half of a Milky Way bar in 1995.  How's that for a memory of a traumatic event?

Sheesh. [rolleyes]

-White Horse

That's what she gets for leaving it unguarded. [}:D]
View Quote

Hee-Hee, there is still a dark chocolate candy bar in my freezer, that my wife has had in there for two years, but I'll be damned if I am going to *touch* one of her candy bars again.  I too still receive Sh!t about the last one 5 years ago.  I swear she keeps that other one in there just to bait me!

As far as guns, my wife is one of those negative ones, but I tell her to F$$k off.  She let's me train my kids 10 and 13 since they were about 7-8 each, and doesn't get in the way of us going to the range, but I still can't get her to shoot anything!  I blame her sorry-assed dad for that!  She hates seeing me spend anything on guns, but she can't tell the difference between AR's, or P228's, P229's, P226's, P220's,,, you get the picture.

It's funny though.  She spots me for CCL if I'm printing, or not, and will even ask if I'm carrying at times, to which I reply, "Do I look naked? Of course I'm *fully* dressed."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top