Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2002 9:13:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#1]
WTH is a 'red wasp'... Are they only found in the south? I mean, we've got our share of wasps up in WI (yellowjackets and mud wasps primarily, plus these black things that look half hornet half wasp)... But a *red* wasp???
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Look like this?

[IMG]http://insects.tamu.edu/images/insects/common/images/cd-43-c/img349.jpg[/IMG]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I found that pic on Yahoo, after I asked you about them...

Nothin like that up here, but there is a biig nest of something in my garage... If I'm in there for a long time doing anything, they start to buzz real loud (sounds like a PC with a bad power supply fan), but there's nothing visible flying around. We think it's up above the door, on a ledge next to the wall. Can't see it, can't find it, can't kill it though...

The worst ones up here are some odd yelowjacket variant. They make their nests above ground (paper, looks like a hornet's nest), and actually attack people (i.e. just sting you for the heck of it, not just if you bug them or go near the nest). Seem to like garbage too, so alot of people call them 'garbage bees'...
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#9]
That pic make my skin crawl! Damn I hate those bastards. So far so good on the allergic reactions though. My father finally had to carry a self-injection device because he built up and intollerance to them. Last time he was hit his arm swelled up twice its size in minutes![shock] Hard to rush someone immediately to the E.R. at the deer lease!
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Without Bee's, Wasp's and a few other stinging polinaters we would all starve to death.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Without Bee's, Wasp's and a few other stinging polinaters we would all starve to death.
View Quote

Bees polinate.

Wasps are predators and scavengers, they hunt other insects, and don't polinate flowers...

Bees I don't mind (since they leave you alone), but wasps (especially the ones I discribed earlier) are a pain in the rear...
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am deathly allergic to red-wasps.  I used to get stung all the time.  But the last time, about 12 years ago, I had to go to the hospital.  Apparently, their venom builds up in your fat tissue, and my body has had all that it can take.

Now, I avoid them to the fullest extent...
View Quote

Did not know that. How many times do you have to get stung before you get allergic reactions?? I guess it depends on the person huh?

DrFrige
View Quote

Let me start off with where my info comes from so I don't sound like a know it all cause I know I don't. My family owns two of the biggest honey bee pollinating companies on this planet. My father is a Paramedic, and my Stepmother is a Nurse that works for Poison Control. We have taught at the Arizona State Firemarshalls school on a few occasions on this subject.

I have never heard of Venom building up in fat tissues, the amount that you get from a single sting is miniscule. To have an anaphylactic reaction to something you only need to be exposed to it once. This goes for anything including food's, Sawdust,Plants, etc.. You can develop an allergy to it anytime throughout your life after the initial sting.

One more thing Wasp's and some yellow jackets have smooth stingers unlike the barbed ones found on honeybees. This means that they can sting repeatedly where a Honeybee can only sting once then they die. Queen honeybees have a smooth stinger as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Bees polinate.

Wasps are predators and scavengers, they hunt other insects, and don't polinate flowers...

Bees I don't mind (since they leave you alone), but wasps (especially the ones I discribed earlier) are a pain in the rear...
View Quote

I was under the impression that the glue that they use to make their dwelling was based from pollin. Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Bees polinate.

View Quote

I was under the impression that the glue that they use to make their dwelling was based from pollin. Am I wrong?
View Quote

Yes and No. Bees do it that way, hence wax nests.

Wasps use wood pulp & water/sap, or mud and water (for 'mud daubers' or 'mud wasps').
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok I guess I was wrong on that one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, I need to loose some weight anyway....I like to use anything with propane as a propellant and a bic lighter on um!![:D]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:31:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top