Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2002 8:15:27 PM EDT
Last year my girlfriend gave me a Benchmade 940 for my birthday.  

[img]http://www.1sks.com/images/benchmade/bm-940.jpg[/img]

I'd like to sharpen it, but I've never had any "formal" education and hence any success sharpening knives.

Are those "V" shaped knife sharpeners any good?

Should I take it to someone to have it done?

What about a good resource online that easily explains what to do?
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#1]
it's easier to show in person than to explain in words.

I'll leave it to somebody else first and then add comments from there, I'm not the greatest knife sharpener but I've been at it for some time and learned how to tweak a Lansky sharpening system so it won't give you fits, Lansky guide rods need to be straight and they need to be indexed or else the angle of the stones on the blade will change the angles as you move from stone to stone.   Putting it all away in the case between uses is actually creating more headache than most people realise, if you buy that product then once it's setup don't touch the stones anymore.

It's not hard to pick up the knack if you have decent equipment and get the principles.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top