Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2012 2:28:38 PM EDT
Governor Rick Snyder has surprised Michigan Democrats and fellow Republicans by vetoing three bills within a Republican-backed elections reform package that would have placed new restrictions on voter registration drives, required voters reaffirm U.S. citizenship and show photo ID before receiving a ballot. While signing into law 11 less controversial bills of the package, the rejection of H.B. 5061, S.B. 754 and S.B. 803 has stunned members of his own party.

“The speaker believes strongly that only U.S. citizens should be voting in U.S. elections,” Ari Adler, a spokesman for disappointed Michigan Speaker of the House Jase Bolger, told the Detroit Free Press. “Having a simple check box on the registration also may protect noncitizens from placing themselves at legal risk by voting when they are not yet eligible.”

“All that my measure required was for registered voters to answer whether they are U.S. citizens before being allowed to vote. It is a common-sense solution that corrects the problem of noncitizens voting,” sponser of vetoed S.B. 803, state Sen. Darwin Booher told POLITICO. “Governor Snyder has missed an opportunity today to protect the integrity of our elections process.”

“I introduced this bill to reduce election fraud and make sure every vote is fairly counted,” H.B. 5061 State Rep. Brad Jacobsen also said. “Like the governor, I don’t want to create any confusion in the upcoming election.”

The Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law says Snyder is the first Republican governor to veto any of the “180 restrictive voting measures” that have been introduced across the country since the beginning of 2011.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/michigan-governor-vetoes-voter-id-elections-reform-laws/
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure this will be explained away just like Roberts being a turncoat was explained away.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]
it's a secret ploy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm sure this will be explained away just like Roberts being a turncoat was explained away.

Of course. Another "Victory". Just ask a moderate.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#4]
He's a RINO.

Wants to build a bridge for the jobs, etc.

All the liberals are praising him over this. I see it everywhere. (Come election time they won't vote for him though.)
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#5]
He did this because politics is chess not checkers folks.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#6]
What a tool.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, fuck.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Override?
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Vote them all out.  R or D, two sides of the same shit sandwich.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Governor Snyder has done a great job so far...Other than this. The bridge that he wants to build is actually Canada's bridge that he wants to get connected to the US via Detroit. People on both sides of the current bridge at Detroit (The Ambassador) are sick and tired of dealing with the company run by Manuel Moroun that owns it. He really doesn't like the new bridge idea because if it is built, only cars will use his ancient bridge.

The Legislature should override Snyder's veto if possible or immediately send him another bill (as soon as they are back in session) to include photo ID requirement when voting and let him veto it again...And keep doing it.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Am I reading this wrong?

Somebody expected a CHECK BOX to protect against voter fraud?
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Except he's playing rummy.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Am I reading this wrong?

Yeah, that's what I think I'm reading too.

If that's the case, fuck it, good veto... because that's just fucking dumb.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Krauthammer says obviously brilliant move is brilliant.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Am I reading this wrong?

No, a falsified checkbox allows you to prosecute someone for vote fraud.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#16]
So, vote for Obama?
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vote them all out.  R or D, two sides of the same shit sandwich.

This. Turn every fucking one of them out.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Am I reading this wrong?

No, a falsified checkbox allows you to prosecute someone for vote fraud.

OK, maybe, but who's actually checking and pursuing prosecution.

The way I see it, if you're Hell bent on voter fraud, the check box won't stop you and you'll take the chance.  By the time it's discovered, if ever, your candidate is in office.

The only true way is a list of eligible voters at the polls, an ID check, and then you are marked off the list after you vote.  Nothing else will work.  This is EXACTLE what happened in my last voting district.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top