Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2012 9:34:31 AM EDT
Pool pipe busted over the winter, dealt with 5 pool companies who apparently have the collective IQ of under room temperature. So it was up to me. Dig out a new trench, cut through the concrete. Get to the through-the-wall pipe and find that the stupid son of a bitch is galvanized steel! Yep, completely rusted through! So instead of just running a new line I need to figure out how to get through a concrete wall and pull out iron pipe and put a new fitting into place, something above my current pay grade.

Anyone have an idea on how to fix this? The steel is shot so it is not like I can just adapt the PVC to the steel and call it good.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Burn the house down and start over.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#3]
1st world problems?

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Should be easy enough.  Rent a chipping hammer, drill out the iron pipe, replace with PVC pipe, grout it in with hydraulic cement, join the old pipe with a compression coupler.  Drink beers.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#6]
What is on the other side of the concrete wall? Pound the old pipe back and forth to loosen it up and get some clearance, use a double chinese finger on one end and attach plastic pipe to the steel and another GOOD chinese finger on the other side attached to a tractor or 4x4 to carefully pull the old steel out and run the new plastic pipe out to the pool.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#7]
C4?
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#8]
What is the wall for?  

Pics?

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#9]

+

=

problem solved
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I built pools for 6 years in SoCal after I got out of school. I have done many remodels, repairs just like you described.
To do this correctly, you will need to jackhammer out the old pipes(plural on purpose because you should do them all at this point) and replace everthing.
You will then need to have a gunite crew come out and patch the holes. Then a plaster crew to replaster the inside of the pool.
Have you contacted your insurance company?
On the bright side, you will have a new pool when done.
IM me if you nwant to contact me with questions. I am a better talker than typer.-Art
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Selling the house, so NFW am I doing a whole redo. Already got quotes for that, way too much that I will not recoup on the sale. I just need this one pipe fixed, the other one was done a few years back.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Man, not sure about building code up in NY? But this stuff is your best friend down here where I'm at. I re-plumbed my rent house with it (built in 1949)....damn sure easier than replacing galvanized pipe.
That and copper is what's in my current house, which is 6 years old now...
Pex
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Is there any way you can run the PVC pipe through the piece of steel pipe?
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Fill pool w dirt, cover w grass seed, mow.

I hate pools.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I love my pool, but fortunately all my plumbing is PVC.

I'm sorry I can't advise you an easy way to fix your problem OP.  You're probably going to have to break the wall of that (concrete?) pool to get that pipe out, and have it refinished.  I'd let the pros do that if I were you.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Picture might help?
Are you saying that the pipe (also, what size pipe?) , where it runs through into the house, is damaged?  And you don't know how to cut into your concrete basement/foundation wall?

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm going with Twisted10 on this one, to fucking hot for that shit.

Quoted:

Fill pool w dirt, cover w grass seed, mow.

I hate pools.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Should be easy enough.  Rent a chipping hammer, drill out the iron pipe, replace with PVC pipe, grout it in with hydraulic cement, join the old pipe with a compression coupler.  Drink beers.

+1 this guy nailed it
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Which pipe is is? Skimmer? Main drain? Vacuum? Return?

What's the ID" of it?

I've seen (and can describe) some pretty gangster pool fixes, that have lasted a long time.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Which pipe is is? Skimmer? Main drain? Vacuum? Return?

What's the ID" of it?

I've seen (and can describe) some pretty gangster pool fixes, that have lasted a long time.

Return line, 2".

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top