Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2012 12:49:23 PM EDT
They have a great deal on a 6500 watt generater for 4th of July. I need one. I know Harbor Freight is throw away stuff but...it's $399. Just checking thanks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
They have a great deal on a 6500 watt generater for 4th of July. I need one. I know Harbor Freight is throw away stuff but...it's $399. Just checking thanks.

I have had good luck with my 2.5kw its a honda copy I use it to run power tools and lights when I am working out in the field away from the house and I need a way to run electric tools and appliances. Most of those generators are Honda copies just not quiet. I can't say how they hold up to 24.7 use but I have used mine for several hours at a time now when I use it and so far so good. I think the meter shows it has 300 hours of use. I have owned it for about 3 years.  I do use it occasionally when we go night fishing also. Overall I am happy. I bought it on sale also for under $300 at the time.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a smaller one that looks like it was made by the same factory, just in a different color.  

It's odd.  It leaks oil.  The gas cap is too leaky to leave fuel in it for any length of time.  It's loud as fuck. It is of generally poor quality.

It runs reliably though, and took me through a few long power outages, and I also got it for a heck of a deal.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Honda or Yamaha
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not familiar with the Harbor Freight model.

I do however, like my 4000w Champion.

I paid $299.00 delivered from Tractor Supply Co.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Dang it! I keep forgetting about Tractor supply!! i'll have to check them out. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've got a smaller one that looks like it was made by the same factory, just in a different color.  

It's odd.  It leaks oil.  The gas cap is too leaky to leave fuel in it for any length of time.  It's loud as fuck. It is of generally poor quality.

It runs reliably though, and took me through a few long power outages, and I also got it for a heck of a deal.

Is there away to muffle it better? In the Corps we would place it in a hole and cover with plywood. I don't think I will be doing that though.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Go to the survival forums lots of generator discussion there. It is a crapshoot on quality, you might want to buy 2.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there away to muffle it better? In the Corps we would place it in a hole and cover with plywood. I don't think I will be doing that though.

Some people add a different muffler to them that helps. For me it was not a concern I don't run my home off of it and if I did my home is sealed up well I doubt I would hear it. I have a 20kw that runs my home and you can't hear it.Its in a totally separate building .  If your plan is to run your lights on this you might consider a more efficient muffler as the one they come with is not the best and then get one of those small enclosures to set it in the back yard.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, people fab up all kinds of things in the way of muffler replacements, but the other problem is the vibration of the unit itself, and these things vibrate bad.  An enclosure would work a bit depending, but digging a hole for it might not be a completely awful idea.

ETA- Cheap and easy, I saw a guy on youtube with a couple pipe clamps, some flex pipe, and what looked like an old car muffler.  It actually seemed to help a LOT.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#10]
What do you need it for?

If you want portable power to do work around the property, then the Horror Freight might be okay. If you are planning on using it in case of emergency power outage, I would spend the extra money to go with Honda or Yamaha. Like others have said the Chinese tools and equipment are a crap shoot.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Friend of mine has one of the smaller ones (maybe 3500 watts) and swears by it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Really depends on how the clean the power it outputs is.

I imagine the HF generator isn't ideal for more sensitive electronics.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They are selling the 3500 watt one for $289. Maybe i'll try that. Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's not. With a steady load the generator does better than I expected, but it's still not something you want to run your desktop computer off of.  The only things I power are the fridge and either wood stove blowers or a/c.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Side note:  ANybody happen to have a link to the coupon for the 6500 watt generator?  Didn't see it in any of my emails / flyers
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are selling the 3500 watt one for $289. Maybe i'll try that. Thanks for all the replies.

Seriously, you're only a few dollars away from the Champion which has an awesome reputation.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, you're only a few dollars away from the Champion which has an awesome reputation.    

Looks like it came out of the same factory as the HF model, and the same as mine.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's a Good Thread regarding Champion Generators in the Survival Forums.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not. With a steady load the generator does better than I expected, but it's still not something you want to run your desktop computer off of.  The only things I power are the fridge and either wood stove blowers or a/c.

BULL. i have run laptops, game consoles, desktops, plasma and LCD TVs off everything from high end hondas to cheap HF gennys, never a mins problem. im also not alone, there are a LOT of campers out there with these so called "sensitive" electronics that get run every weekend and they are frying stuff left and right as you may think.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like it came out of the same factory as the HF model, and the same as mine.

http://www.meijer.com/assets/product_images/styles/xlarge/1004683_APG3001_A_400.jpg

A few key differences though... The Champion has a 120v 30a RV outlet in addition to the 240v outlet, and the distributor is easy to contact and has spare parts available.

Edit:  Looks like Champion no longer offers 240v on their smaller generators.  I have the now-discontinued model C46540 which has both 120v and 240v outlets.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.meijer.com/assets/product_images/styles/xlarge/1004683_APG3001_A_400.jpg

A few key differences though... The Champion has a 110v 30a RV outlet in addition to the 220v outlet, and the distributor is easy to contact and has spare parts available.  

I'm just saying they all look like the same make, just with different options.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:31:14 AM EDT
[#23]
An ex boss bought 2 at once 1 to run his house and the other was to run the shop. The one we had at the shop seemed to run fine and powered lights but it seemed to be on the weak side. Then again trying to run an air compressor and 3 lifts made it real weak. Id buy one for a standby unit.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:47:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
An ex boss bought 2 at once 1 to run his house and the other was to run the shop. The one we had at the shop seemed to run fine and powered lights but it seemed to be on the weak side. Then again trying to run an air compressor and 3 lifts made it real weak. Id buy one for a standby unit.

Did your boss buy two Champions, or two Harbor Freight models?
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:55:02 AM EDT
[#25]
They work great until they don't.

Think bic lighter.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:00:21 AM EDT
[#26]
i had a sears genny repaired a few years ago and the genny shop said they tried to burn up a champoin and couldn't do it.

ask yourself this. you spend $399 on a genny and it blows up when you have to use it. I mean HAVE to use it. as in hurricane Bob just came in and blew everything down. i mean its not like texans can handle an evacuation so that means you are stuck there. do you think $200-300 more is worth it to not have it blow up?
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:04:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honda or Yamaha

+1

Buy once, cry once.

Yep.

When the power went out last Friday night, you could hear generators running all over the neighborhood. I fired up my Honda and set it on the back deck.

Standing in front of the house, I couldn't even hear it running
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks guys! The BOSS actually made the decision for me. " I don't trust the crap at Harbor Freight. We are going to spend the extra $50 on the Champion one.....Ok?"

The funny thing is, she is usually the cheap one. Oh, well off to buy a Champion at Tractor Supply.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:09:13 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Same here.  Wrapped the muffler in a lagging blanket for a little extra quietness, not that it was overly loud to begin with.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:10:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I can't wait.  They're opening a Tractor Supply about 10 mins from my house.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:12:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.meijer.com/assets/product_imag

es/styles/xlarge/1004683_APG3001_A_400.jpg

This is the one I have except I have a wheel kit on mine. Works great.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, Italy has Tractors?  

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:14:56 AM EDT
[#33]
No experience with their generator, but I do have some experience with them.

I don't understand why anybody would shop there.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:15:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thanks guys! The BOSS actually made the decision for me. " I don't trust the crap at Harbor Freight. We are going to spend the extra $50 on the Champion one.....Ok?"

The funny thing is, she is usually the cheap one. Oh, well off to buy a Champion at Tractor Supply.

Smart move.

Champion builds their products to their own specs in their own factory, has good QC and customer service, and offers a longer warranty than HF or most of the other Chinese brands.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:24:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have the Chicago 6500W generator from HF. Starts with one pull and is reliable.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honda or Yamaha

+1

Buy once, cry once.

Yep.

When the power went out last Friday night, you could hear generators running all over the neighborhood. I fired up my Honda and set it on the back deck.

A Honda is on my 'next' Genny list.

Unfortunately, most people don't have $1200.00 to drop on a Genny in these hard times.

I would rather have a $300.00 Champion (and put up with a little noise), and put the savings into ammo and let the cards fall where they may when the SHTF.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honda or Yamaha

+1

Buy once, cry once.

Yep.

A Honda is on my 'next' Genny list.

Unfortunately, most people don't have $1200.00 to drop on a Genny in these hard times.

I would rather have a $300.00 Champion (and put up with a little noise), and put the savings into ammo and let the cards fall where they may when the SHTF.

I hear ya. I bought my Honda when money wasn't as tight as it is now.

Get what ya can afford.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This is the one I have except I have a wheel kit on mine. Works great.

[/div]

The wheels are fuggin worth whatever they cost on top of the generator. Yes they are.  A hand truck works in a pinch though.  Kinda.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Honda or Yamaha

This.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:14:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Champion makes some bad ass products.

I have an old champion compressor that is almost as old as I am.  Aside from a few parts breaking here and there it keeps on trucking.   And most of those breakages have to do with bolts stripping when I am trying to service it.  The previous owners seemed to believe that the proper torque value for every thing was as tight as they could turn a 1/4" bolt.  Every time something broke a champion service guy was able to get me a replacement part, the only down side is my model is no longer made, so I had to modify things a bit to get the new style to work.  

It is load and powerful.  It will run out of air if I am trying to run a DA and have it wired for 120V,  but when it is set up on 240V it rocks pretty well.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:28:09 AM EDT
[#41]
I originally bought the 6500 watt HF before they stopped allowing you to use 25% off coupons for generators.  I think I got the generator and 2-year extended warranty for around $525 with tax last year.

I got the generator home, and the engine looked like a Chonda.  The problem was all the external wiring was cheap.  Think wires held in place with very flimsy clips.  In a few places, the wires were in contact with the generator head, which would have ultimately caused either melting or chaffing over time.  I didn't even want to think what the inside windings of the gen head looked like.

Back went the HF genset, and I bought an XG series Generac instead.  A few hundred more, but well worth it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, Italy has Tractors?  

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Check your local Craigslist. This one is advertised locally and I am thinking about jumping on it:

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/tls/3098230039.html

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#44]
I was tempted to buy one of these, $350.00 delivered.  I was losing power all the time where I live.

Duromax or this

Power went out again so I ended up searching Lowes, HD, TSC and ended up getting a generator at Walmart.  They wanted $500.00 for it and they had the price marked wrong.  I complained to the store manager and he sold it for $300.00.  I paid for the extended warranty just in case.

Starts right up and I ran it for an hour but it takes 90 octane. Would have liked one with wheel kit but I have a hand truck and I can store this easier in pole barn under work bench.  4200w max 3200w rated.

My dad has a Suzuki 1800(?) that he will give me but he says it leaks oil so I will have to check it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top