Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2012 6:01:05 AM EDT
So my sub is not working.   The amp is getting power.  I am stumped.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:04:19 AM EDT
[#1]
You're getting power or your remote lead is lighting the on light?

As always, check your fuse and grounds first. I had problems and similar symptoms with mine once and the lead run through the floor to the frame has corroded.

If not that, try an alternate input method like a headphone jack/RCA conversion cable linked to your phone mp3 player and swap out the input direct into the amp for the one from the head unit. Might have lost signal there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:08:58 AM EDT
[#2]
^  You'll have to troubleshoot by process of elimination.  Start with the easy stuff first.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You're getting power or your remote lead is lighting the on light?

As always, check your fuse and grounds first. I had problems and similar symptoms with mine once and the lead run through the floor to the frame has corroded.

If not that, try an alternate input method like a headphone jack/RCA conversion cable linked to your phone mp3 player and swap out the input direct into the amp for the one from the head unit. Might have lost signal there.

Yes, the remote lead is turning the light on.  The fuse looks good.  In line and the fuse on the amp,

I will check the ground when I get out of work.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:14:21 AM EDT
[#4]
The short list of likely causes:
Sub blew:
-unhook from amp and test for resistance with ohm meter (if single voice coil 4ohm should read 3.6 ohm)
-hook up a different speaker to test (and hope your amp doesnt blow it too...)

Loss of signal:
-hook up alternate source to amp input (ipod, cd player, etc...)

Loss of voltage:
measure voltage from terminals on amp with radio on:
––-gnd to 12v = 11.6v or higher
––-gnd to rem = 11.6 or higher

EDIT:  VERY important to actually measure the voltages. Sometimes car audio fuses blow but still LOOK fine (solder in end cap melts) which leads to a significant loss of voltage on the 12v lead.
Also if voltage across amp terminals are BOTH really low, your ground needs to be relocated or resecured.

test and report results
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:15:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Anybody have a Pioneer AVH-P4400BH?  I'm thinking about replacing my factory unit with it. (I'm an iPhone 4S owner).

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anybody have a Pioneer AVH-P4400BH?  I'm thinking about replacing my factory unit with it. (I'm an iPhone 4S owner).

I have the Kenwood AVX-840 and It's alright. That one looks pretty slick.

Look on eBay for sonic electronix. they always have smokin deals and back their shit with a solid warranty.

OP, why not us this as an excuse to replace everything? Maybe some DC Audio amps and 18's, couple batteries?

Eh? Could be fun.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you can Afford it, go with the Alpine INA-W910 or INE-S920.

Little more expensive, but you get what you pay for.  ....especially if you'll be using an ipod with it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:26:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Everything is about 1 year old.   Replaced all the door speakers and put a JL 10 in the back.  

If I blew the sub there should still have some sound right?
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:29:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Little more expensive, but you get what you pay for.  ....especially if you'll be using an ipod with it.

Thanks for the recommendation, but at twice the price I think I'll pass

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the recommendation, but at twice the price I think I'll pass.  

That's understandable. Although the Alpine is definitely more well thought out, the Pioneer is a solid second place choice. They are usually quite reliable and have decent features. Their iPod interface can be quite cumbersome, though, but they may have fixed that in the current generations (I haven't played with the new ones).
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I decided to go with the Pioneer AVH-P3400BH.  

I had it installed today and I couldn't be happier.  It looks great in my truck and does everything I had hoped for.  It's a helluva way to upgrade a 2000 model with a factory stereo.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#12]
The speaker wires going to the sub inside the box may have come loose.  That would make the driver go silent and everything on the outside would look fine.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Everything is about 1 year old.   Replaced all the door speakers and put a JL 10 in the back.  

If I blew the sub there should still have some sound right?

Depends on how blown it is. Does it move freely without scraping on something if you gently press straight into it? (assuming the sub is not made of some weak material or doesn't have a dome that can be crushed. Disclaimer because I don't want to be responsible for punctured speakers or caved in domes.)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top