Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2002 7:03:59 AM EDT
I'm studying to take the state exam to officiate high school football this fall.  Its something I've always wanted to try.  I've missed being involved in football since graduating high school almost 10 years ago...I though about trying to coach but the time requirement for that seemed to be too much.

So are there any pearls of wisdom from any other officals out there?

Sloth
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, be exteremly hard of hearing!  >gg<

Most rookie football officials are the clock operator their first year. Not always, of course, but that's how they do it here.

Keep in mind that some coaches think ANYTHING that happens (fumble, interception, etc.) is YOUR fault. Clearly they are the ones with the losing records. The better coaches tell their kids the officials are like the weather: you have to play thru them.

If a coach comes to you politely & asks a question or has a suggestion, listen to him, nod & go on. You don't necessarily have to say anything. The ones who scream, bitch, whine & moan I always ignored. The ones who really went off would shut up when I reminded them "it is a game played by & for children". Priceless look.

Good luck & know your rules!
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:16:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I'm a hockey ref, but a lot of the things are going to be the same.

1) Establish a good dialog with the captain at the beginning.  You can also tell them to only talk to you through the captain or alternate captains.

2) Ignore it when poeple yell as much as possible.  If it gets too much then give them a penalty.

3) Never lose your temper or yell back.

4) Be honest.  If you didn't or couldn't see that part of the play, say so.

Hope that helps.

Joe
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#3]
i worry about getting burnt out on the abuse.  i worry that i can't get thick enough skin so that the insults just bounce off.  i'd hate for this experience to make me dislike the sport in any way (sounds dorky but my idea of the perfect fall afternoon is watching college football from morning to late into the night...just ask my wife).

i also hope i can control my temper.  i tend to deal with confrontation by attacking back (not physically).  its sounds like i need to learn to keep that in check.  thanks for the advice.  Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top