Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2002 9:58:50 AM EDT
reading the post about the 3yr old shooting the dad in the back with a glock....i keep a glock with a round chambered near me at all times when im in PJ's other times its in the blade tech.......

25-30 years ago kids wernt attacked by the mystery of firearms they always saw one behind the door (daddys shotgun) but now a days so many people are scared even if the kids look at a firearm that when kids do see them they just got to hold them because of the "GREAT MYSTERY" that firearms hold for them...to my children it is no big mystery so while i dont just leave a gun laying around my children are kinda bored with them already (they like knives better) (WTF) .....
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#2]
My oldest is 5 and the weapons are never off limits or hidden  although they are carried by my wife and I all day and are not just lying around.  The safety rules and dangers have been demonstrated and hammered into them since birth.  My 15 month old son can identify the rifle by name.  If they ask to handle or "name parts" I will clear the weapon, disassemble it and go through the parts and names with them.  The mystery is the danger, not the weapon.  With the disintigration of the family and lack of constant father figures the mystery has blossomed out of control.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 15yo boy and a9yo daughter.  Everytime I have bought a firearm I show it to them and teach them how to operate it.  To them theyre is no mystery because they both know that they aren't toys and the destructive power they can do.  I often have a firearm laying around the house.  The kids don't bother it because they know they aren't toys.  Sometimes they want to see it, so I let them.  When they pick it up they always check the chamber and handle it safely.

In short, the best way to take away the mystery of firearms is to teach the kids to shoot!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Once kids are familiar with firearms, they are usually very professional with them.  More so than adults, who think they know it all.  [img]http://www.ar15.com/members/albums/Waverunner%2FAR15%5F46%2Ejpg[/img]

1shot1kill's son is a prime example.  They want to learn and its up to us to make sure they do so safely and early enough to cancel the danger of curiousness.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I was saving my 100th post until I got an excuse to post a pic of my little man.

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/SchlaffTablett%2Fmay19%5F02%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys should email those pics to Sen. Finestein et al...they would shudder from the horror!

Cool pics & cool kids!

The best safety is between your ears.

Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Kids-n-guns-n-booze-n-power tools!!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm 17 and I've always been around guns. My dad never taught me about them. He just said not to point it at anyone and to be careful. I learned to take them apart just for the heck of it all by myself. All gun-owners need to teach children about gun safety. I'll say it from experience, Guns can be dangerous if you don't know about them. Teach or be taught, that's how it works. If you don't teach them, they'll teach you by killing or hurting sombody. Be safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top