Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2002 4:42:42 PM EDT
I just got this e-mail, supposedly from Crossroads of the West.

To: Our Arizona Gun Show Friends
Subject: Arizona State Fire Marshal Limits on Ammunition
             at Fairgrounds Gun Show July 6-7

The Arizona State Fire Marshal Deputy  Phil Mele' decided less than a week before the last Phoenix gun show that he was going to limit the amount of ammunition in the building at the show.

The Uniform Fire Code of 1997, which is the Code that the State Fire Marshal uses, limits primers to 25,000 in a  building.  We have never allowed primers to be sold inside the buildings at the gun show.  However, Phil  Mele' decided, in his wisdom, that since each cartridge has a primer, he would limit the amount of ammunition in the building to 25,000 rounds.  Such a low limit on ammunition would have made it impossible to have a gun show.  Our dealers typically have between 3 and 4 million rounds offered for sale at the shows.

The Uniform Fire Code of 1997, the same version that the Fire Marshal was quoting from, clearly exempts small arms ammunition from any quantity limitations in a subsequent section of the Code.  The Fire Marshal chose to ignore the exemption provided for small arms ammunition, claiming that no exemption was provided for the retail display of ammunition.  Section 7701.1, provides that no limits shall be imposed on quantities of ammunition.  Sec. 7701.1, Exceptions, states that    " (4) The possession,  transportation, storage and use of small arms ammunition when packaged in accordance with DOT packaging requirements."  Thus ammunition is clearly exempted from the quantity limits under the uniform fire code.

The Fire Marshal Deputy  Phil Mele' is clearly misinterpreting the Uniform Fire Code and we need to call him to task for his error.  We are asking our gun show friends to join us in a grass-roots contact campaign to encourage Mele', his supervisor Assistant State Fire Marshal Steve Alley, and the Chief State Fire Marshal Duane Pell, to re-evaluate their interpretation of the Code as it relates to the storage, display and sale of small arms ammunition.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's what we're asking you to do.  Contact each of the following individuals and request that they reconsider their limitation on the number of rounds of ammunition in a building.  Ammunition is clearly exempted from quantity limits in the Uniform Fire Code, and they need only to contact the group who wrote the Code to confirm that.

Please be courteous and non-confrontational in your communication with these folks.  We are, for the moment, assuming that the problem is due to a fuzzy interpretation of the Code and not due to any direct attempt to shut down the gun shows.  With your help in the form of phone calls, faxes and letters, we can get this problem solved before it becomes a show-stopper for our next Crossroads show.

Deputy Phil Mele'   Phone (602)-364-1003  Pager (602)-420-0390 OFFICE OF THE STATE FIRE MARSHAL  99 E Virginia St   Suite 100   Phoenix, Az.  85004

Assistant State Fire Marshal  Steve Alley   Phone (602)-364-1003   OFFICE OF THE STATE FIRE MARSHAL 99 E Virginia St Suite 100   Phoenix, Az. 85004

Arizona State Fire Marshal    Duane Pell     (602)-364-1003            OFFICE OF THE STATE FIRE MARSHAL  99 E Virginia St
Phoenix, Az.  85004

The FAX number for each of the above is (602)-364-1084

Thanks for your help!

Bob Templeton,
Crossroads of the West Gun Shows, Inc.
View Quote

Is this true? I didn't go to this one so I dont know..
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#2]
my favorite supplier had it in a trailor outside.

I paid for it then took my receipt outside when i was done lookin' around, picked up the ammo and took off.

I don't know if they did it that way because of the stupid "fire marshall bill".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top