Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/13/2012 9:19:42 PM EDT
How quickly could the US respond with our own nukes?

Would the use of ICBM's still be "taboo"?

The use of B-2's from Whiteman AFB would seem likely, but that's still a what, 20 hour flight?  That's a long time to reply to a nuclear attack.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If we responded, which I have my doubts that the current regime would, there are already nuclear capable strike aircraft (F-16's, F-18's, and F-15E's) in theater.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The use of B-2's from Whiteman AFB would seem likely, but that's still a what, 20 hour flight?  That's a long time to reply to a nuclear attack.

First we would have to pretend NK actually had nukes.....  But 20 minutes or so we could respond.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#3]
By the time we got there, I think the conventional warheads from China, Japan, Russia, and the rest of South Korea would leave pretty slim pickings as far as target acquisition. The Norks are not well liked.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Somewhere in the Pacific is a boomer that could hit the Norks within minutes.  The one question that would slow it down is how China would react to mushroom clouds near their border.  For that reason, I would suspect the US would never launch nukes at the Norks.  The only exception would be if the Norks somehow hit the US.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somewhere in the Pacific is a boomer that could hit the Norks within minutes.  The one question that would slow it down is how China would react to mushroom clouds near their border.  For that reason, I would suspect the US would never launch nukes at the Norks.  The only exception would be if the Norks somehow hit the US.

Oh yeah.  Forgot about the underwater boats.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#6]
This giant pussy of a President we have, would never use nukes.

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Then North Korea will officially be best Korea.

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You're probably right but I was just asking from a purely logistic perspective.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's right that fucking bitch would apologize for SK being in the way of their bomb and send them some money

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#10]
i doubt they will even if they had nukes.

SK is a great enemy for the regime and the leaders know where they stand in the world.

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Obama doesn't really control shit. If NK nuked SK then China would probably spank their asses like a big brother, and if they didn't we'd bomb the shit out of them and no one would do shit. We probably wouldn't nuke them, but not because we're worried about hurting feelings, we'd probably be more concerned about fallout affecting our troops and their families and the SKs.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#12]
How about we don't imagine this scenario.

I have family in Seoul.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep, the response would come from a Fleet Ballistic Missile submarine as the vast majority of our nukes ride the Ohios.
W88s' are just under 500KT.  Bang.

Man Battlestations Missile, Set Condition 1SQ.

Ray
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#14]

If we're going to start tossing nukes, I don't think the method of delivery is going to matter a bit.

The main thing would be to notify that Russians that they will soon detect a launch and to let them know the destination of the missile just so that there aren't any misunderstandings.

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#15]
NK Nuke misses its target
NK realizing they went all-in proceeds to shell Seoul

SK moves in from the south

Chinese Army pushes deep into the undefended north (the world gets to see if Chinese military can do logistics and supply a large fighting force)

Vast amounts of North Koreans die fighting, PLA just murdering everything along their way.

PLA and SK forces meet, Cold War 2.0

fin
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#16]
It wouldn't surprise me if there are a few B-2's sitting at Andersen/Kadena/Osan/Yokota just for such an occurrence.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#18]
As much as I dispise " the kenyan" I doubt he would do nothing.
We have plenty of conventional weapons that would destroy
their capitol and take the fight out of them in short order.

ED
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#19]
The thought that China would get into a world war over NK is asinine.

NK doesn't have any targets that conventional cruise missiles can't hit. I doubt nukes would be remotely necessary, their air force is worse than Iraq's in the first gulf war.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#20]
They don't want to Nuke Seoul, they want all of the peninsula for themselves.

They will arty the shit out of it, and they will most likely try to "slime" Osan and Kunsan, they would try to Nuke Misawa, Yokota, and Kadena, because they don't want any part of Japan.

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:11:34 PM EDT
[#21]
There is no credible scenario for the US to nuke NK.  Prevailing winds blow from north to south so nuking the north means fallout affects the ROK.  If the ROK is winning the ground fight then no sense in nuking ground they will have to walk over.  If the ROKs are losing it means we are nuking our ally's terrain... bad juju.

I don't see US use of nukes unless US ground is nuked and we have a viable target to retaliate against.

And no, there are no B-2s with nukes in the ROK, Japan, Guam or Hawaii.  All ground based nukes were pulled back to CONUS in the early '90s.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:05:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Obama doesn't really control shit. If NK nuked SK then China would probably spank their asses like a big brother, and if they didn't we'd bomb the shit out of them and no one would do shit. We probably wouldn't nuke them, but not because we're worried about hurting feelings, we'd probably be more concerned about fallout affecting our troops and their families and the SKs.

We have troops in Seoul, don't we? The US has a long-standing "agreement" that if our troops are attacked with ANY NBC weapon, we will retaliate in kind. Since we don't have any bio weapons (officially) then this means either chem or nuke weapons.

Of course, with our current CinC... nothing is possible.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:08:37 AM EDT
[#23]
They will never nuke Seoul, they have thousands of convential tubes and rockets pointed at Seoul, enough to completely destroy it, conventionally.  And the Kenyan would do nothing but posture and monitor with drones.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:14:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have troops in Seoul, don't we? The US has a long-standing "agreement" that if our troops are attacked with ANY NBC weapon, we will retaliate in kind. Since we don't have any bio weapons (officially) then this means either chem or nuke weapons.

We have no chem or bio.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:22:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Your assuming we would respond.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:36:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Strategic weapons - *capable* or responding very quickly

Theater weapons - probably not capable of as quick of a response unless escalating tensions drove a change in posture

Silly question though - NK's nukes are probably intended as a deterrent against the US, not as a first strike weapon against the south
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:37:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have no chem or bio.
But we'll use nukes on anyone that slimes or bugs us.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:42:28 AM EDT
[#28]

The administration will send a very nasty letter to Pyongyang…
it might be the nastiest letter ever sent by an American president… ever!

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:45:44 AM EDT
[#29]
In that scenario it is more likely NK would nuke Pyongyang.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:52:01 AM EDT
[#30]
I believe, if this scenario happened, the U.S. would respond with those tactical battlefield nukes you've heard so much about.  

The trick would be not to get a response from the Chinese or Russians from whatever we do.  High alerts would be the order of the day for some time, lots of finger pointing, posturing and pressers from everyone in the area.  One thing is certain however, North Korea's current leadership would dissolve and peace would eventually find those two countries after 50 years.

Then again, I'm not very knowledgeable in this area.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 3:05:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Our present leadership will do nothing. They will wring their hands, and then blame the Republicans for the whole mess.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 5:23:29 AM EDT
[#32]
AFTER we return to the States at the end of June....
Quoted:
How about we don't imagine this scenario.

I have family in Seoul.

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 5:30:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 5:57:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There is no credible scenario for the US to nuke NK.  Prevailing winds blow from north to south so nuking the north means fallout affects the ROK.  If the ROK is winning the ground fight then no sense in nuking ground they will have to walk over.  If the ROKs are losing it means we are nuking our ally's terrain... bad juju.

I don't see US use of nukes unless US ground is nuked and we have a viable target to retaliate against.

And no, there are no B-2s with nukes in the ROK, Japan, Guam or Hawaii.  All ground based nukes were pulled back to CONUS in the early '90s.

Just to point out that if the Norks Nuke the south there would already be fall out heading south.

BTW i think NK is a one nuke job.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 6:04:15 AM EDT
[#35]
First of all, if NK does actually have a nuke, which they don't, they couldn't deliver it across the street. So Seoul is in no danger. Second, If they somehow found a way to make one, then get it to Seoul, it it would be suicide. They would have no followup capability, and no defense. One shot, goodbye. What would be the point?

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 6:11:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 6:17:30 AM EDT
[#37]
NK would be quickly bombed back into the Stone Age.  That would be a vast lifestyle improvement for most North Koreans.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 6:20:39 AM EDT
[#38]
I believe of of the sayings of the guys that hang out below the prairies of Nebraska and the Dakotas is  "Guaranteed in 30 minutes or less"

eta: blackhawk5 beat me to it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Your right......but he'll write a sternly worded letter and even bow when he gives it to them...
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#40]
The majority of the wait time would be in confirmation, decision, and then execution.

Ohio Class SSBN off their coast could deliver Trident II SLBM in ten to fifteen minutes once it was launched to target max.

Obviously though there is no way we'd do that, because the risk of fallout over China and Russia would be too high an invite retaliation from both nations.  Conventional Air Strikes would be carried out together with total invasion of North Korea.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 6:47:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe we and the world could respond/destroy N Korea with conventional weaponry. I may take days instead of minutes but the result would be the same.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 6:54:48 AM EDT
[#42]
South Korea has a huge industrial base, an very modern military, and shit tons of money.  it wouldn't surprise me too much if they handled the nuclear retaliation themselves.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 6:59:59 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the norks hit Seoul without provocation with a nuke, China would give us the green light to do whatever we wanted to do, up to and including nukes of our own.  Hell, they may do the job first.  I suspect that they have informed the batshit-insane-leader that this is exactly what would happen.

You really don't want that kind of crazy in a neighbor.

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 7:02:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If the norks hit Seoul without provocation with a nuke, China would give us the green light to do whatever we wanted to do, up to and including nukes of our own.  Hell, they may do the job first.  I suspect that they have informed the batshit-insane-leader that this is exactly what would happen.

China most certainly would not green light a nuclear weapon attack that would cause them a serious refugee and environmental health problem.  No way.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 7:11:15 AM EDT
[#45]
China would occupy DPRK and install their own regime.I believe this is what would happen before or shortly after a conventional war.China uses the Norks as their own hidden labor,drug makers,counterfeiters etc as well as taking food from the prison farms that th eNorks really can't spare.Trade between the countries is $3.5 billion per year and provides China with a buffer from and nuisance to the  US,ROK and Japan.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 7:17:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The administration will send a very nasty letter to Pyongyang…it might be the nastiest letter ever sent by an American president… ever!

This is the correct answer.

Our first gay president, alias the foreigner in chief, would shoot off  a note so fast heads will spin faster than if somebody had fired off a 10mm.

The wording would be NSFW, so don't expect it to be published.

It would be shelved along with the information on our cia informants, and kept so secret,

Oh, wait, what?

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 7:22:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 7:25:35 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

China most certainly would not green light a nuclear weapon attack that would cause them a serious refugee and environmental health problem.  No way.

If the norks nuke Seoul, that ship has sailed.  

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
NK would be quickly bombed back into the Stone Age.  That would be a vast lifestyle improvement for most North Koreans.

"Back into the stone age"?

I really don't think they have made it out of the stone age yet.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

China would occupy DPRK and install their own regime.I believe this is what would happen before or shortly after a conventional war.China uses the Norks as their own hidden labor,drug makers,counterfeiters etc as well as taking food from the prison farms that th eNorks really can't spare.Trade between the countries is $3.5 billion per year and provides China with a buffer from and nuisance to the  US,ROK and Japan.

China props up the north because they don't want the refugee crisis that a collapsed nork state will entail.

Drug makers, labor, LOL.  China has plenty of those things...  And it doesn't need counterfeiting.  They have all of our money that they need...  The "prison farm food" in the north doesn't even feed the prison farms.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top