Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2002 7:07:03 PM EDT
That it is illegal to boobytrap your own home against theives? for this discussion lets forget about civil suits because if a theif breaks a window getting into your house and cuts his arem he will sue let alone boobytraps.

Should it be illegal?

Why
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
It shouldn't be illegal. However, at the same time, you should be held  responsible for any accidental killings that happen as a result of your traps. For example if your house starts burning while you're not home and the first fireman through the front door gets a 12ga full of 00 out of a pipe blasted into his face, then you should face charges.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe it is called pre-meditation and it is a BS charge if you ask me, but I believe it was put in place to prevent cases that Anti- stated. Cases of intruders succesfully winning damages suites are rare when brought before the higher courts, but on occasion do, at a great burdon to the business/homeowner.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It shouldn't be illegal. However, at the same time, you should be held  responsible for any accidental killings that happen as a result of your traps. For example if your house starts burning while you're not home and the first fireman through the front door gets a 12ga full of 00 out of a pipe blasted into his face, then you should face charges.
View Quote

The more i think about this the less sure I am about needing someone to face charges if they kill an unintended person. Could it be considered the unfortunate persons own doing for being where the aren't wanted? I guess there would be far fewer altruistic types (firement, ems, etc.) willing to go barging into homes on an emergency call if lots of people had booby traps.

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Since a boobytrap is an emplaced device, and is therefore targeted indiscrimiinately, it is illegal to use.

Think about it - Emergency Services comes in because your wife called 911 while you were at work, and forgot to disarm the "alarums."  Who's liable for the EMT lying in the doorway?  Besides, now the other EMT's are busy seeing to their associate while your wife is having trouble - and the rest of the EMT's are having a hard time coming in.

Since a boobytrap is a "dumb" device, it is not specifically targeted and can't be relied upon to be used effectively.

If there were a guaranteeed way to make a "smart" boobytrap - GUARANTEED - it would probably be legal.  Meanwhile, work with non-lethal means.  I suggest checking out www.stopthecrime.net (or .com?) for more info along these lines.

FFZ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top