Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2002 9:21:30 AM EDT
Everytime I have downloaded it, it tells me the file is corupt or has been altered so it won't install.
Has anyone gotten it to work?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#1]
huh? what game?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Try fileplanet...that one worked for me.  Got it from another place to but can't remember the link off hand.

I think its posted in one of the other Army threads.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#3]
yeah I got it to work but it's buggy as hell and not to well thought out. but my hope is that some of the kinks will be worked out when the in a few days when the release the newer version.

ps this is the recon version.   recon = beta
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:46:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
yeah I got it to work but it's buggy as hell and not to well thought out. but my hope is that some of the kinks will be worked out when the in a few days when the release the newer version.

View Quote

Yeah, took me two or three days to get it to work.  Will wait a while, maybe a month till I try it again.  Did some of the basic stuff but right now too many problems and don't feel like being a Beta tester right now...heh.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Nope. It's got "exclusive" desires in the display adapter department.
I will not waste my time and money to needlessly change out my card for a game I will only play for a month or less.....
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Too bad.
I tried file planet and each server I picked gave me the same problem. I tried it on 98, NT, and 2000.
colinjay- The army put out its own first person shooter(from what I have heard it is a shooter,) Goarmy.com
But I can't get a working version. 200 meg is a lot to download even on cable and not have it work.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I got it to work; you need the latest DirectX from microsoft, a recent graphics card (perferably NVidia), and the latest NVidia drivers.

It's actually pretty impressive. When you bring up the iron sights on the range you get breathing wobble, both left and right as well as up and down.

They've got way more demand than they expected; their servers are swamped. I qualified on the range but couldn't register my qualification on their servers. This should get a lot better in the next few days, since they're putting together a system to allow people to put up their own servers.

You can download the full game from 3dgamers.com; they had a fast, 100 kb/sec download when I got it from there.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep!

I can't seem to get qualified on the range though, but I'm using a trackball and they are a lot more difficult for rapid action...

I finally got pissed after 4 or 5 attempts, turned around, and wasted the RO's in the tower, so they sent me back for re-qualifications! [pissed]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah the breathing is cool but its still not great.  I mean at least make a way that you can hold your breath while you shoot...if there is one please let me know.  Sucks since on the target range its too random and you miss...
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yep!

I can't seem to get qualified on the range though, but I'm using a trackball and they are a lot more difficult for rapid action...

I finally got pissed after 4 or 5 attempts, turned around, and wasted the RO's in the tower, so they sent me back for re-qualifications! [pissed]
View Quote

I use a trackball with no problems.  Are you using your iron sights when you shoot?

I found the procedure to get in game to be buggy as hell with multiple unable to connects, plus having the auth servers off-line part of this past weekend just pissed me off.  I really don't find the game much better than Firearms with the exception of the scenery
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#11]
When the player breaths in he holds it for a second that's when you fire.  If you've ever been in the military that's how it's done.  America's Army is in the BETA stage and this is the Army's first 3D game.  Every game has bugs in the beginning.  That's why they have BETA testing.  Oh, yeah first time on Rifle Range is got 32/40 Sharpshooter.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#12]
It works great on my machine. It's nothing special, Win 2000 Pro, P-3 800, geforce 2 64 meg. I did have to turn off my proxy server software, anti-pop up stuff, in order to log into their server and upload my qualification data. I hated the qualification steps at first but since the game is more strategic than smash and crash, it helps you a lot once you get into the actual combat sims. It is more complex than counter strike. You really have to watch what you are doing and carefully aim.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When the player breaths in he holds it for a second that's when you fire.  If you've ever been in the military that's how it's done.  America's Army is in the BETA stage and this is the Army's first 3D game.  Every game has bugs in the beginning.  That's why they have BETA testing.  Oh, yeah first time on Rifle Range is got 32/40 Sharpshooter.
View Quote

I was lead to believe they already did the beta stage already.  Not complaining too much...I can get 30+ easy...I just want to get 36 or better so I can do the sniper thing.  I always seem to blow it somewhere; drives you nuts when you end it with 34 or 35 and you start over...
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Do they have the pop-up range with the little green plastic commies like at FT. Benning?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do they have the pop-up range with the little green plastic commies like at FT. Benning?
View Quote

Yeah..except the popups in the game are red colored commies.

The game worked fine on my system no problems.  The only problem I have is that dial-up sucks @ss.  No where in the future is high-speed going to be in my neighborhood. :-(
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I got it to work just fine.

On line experince is something else...

they are working on a patch which is supposed to be out on monday (15th)

I qualified on the mout server(finally)

the hardest part is getting into a server (the "patch" is supposed to fix this)

It's a cool game and has potential.

One question lingers in my mind...

[b]Why is the US ARMY doing this???[/b]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Too bad.
I tried file planet and each server I picked gave me the same problem. I tried it on 98, NT, and 2000.
colinjay- The army put out its own first person shooter(from what I have heard it is a shooter,) Goarmy.com
But I can't get a working version. 200 meg is a lot to download even on cable and not have it work.
View Quote

me too
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, took me two or three days to get it to work.  Will wait a while, maybe a month till I try it again.  Did some of the basic stuff but right now too many problems and don't feel like being a Beta tester right now...heh.
View Quote

Recon - NOT BETA, this game is being released in segments.

btw it ran perfect first time on my pc. but that is because i have put the fear of god into my PC. its god being me. i swear i hear it moan with fear when i enter the room ;)

--edited because the retarded quote system puts you after the first not last close quote command--
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I heard they spent $6 million to have it made.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#21]
The $6 million is over several years, and there's another game similar to The Sims coming out later.

The money does come from recruiting. I think it's great; how much does the army spend on a couple super bowl commercials, or on movie assistance such as Blackhawk Down? For the same amount of money they get continuous favorable exposure in their target demographic. AA could well wind up dominating the FPS market. I'm getting advertised to, and it's fun!

There are a lot of other possible applications of game engines in the military, btw. The development is being done by a research organization in the Navy that concentrates on modeling and simulation. Current game engines blow away many military simulators, particularly in graphics and level construction. It's not hard to imagine constructing a game level for, say, all the US embassies, so anti-terrorist troops can do practice takedowns of places they've never been.

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#22]
6 million is a little too much than what a normal game costs to make and stuff but from what I've read its normal to see a game end up with a tag of 3 to 5 million.  The only difference is we all paid for it with tax money (technically) and they aren't going to sell it.

I think its a good idea.  I won't join the army or any armed service (might join the reserves later on down the line though) but I think this is a good way to show a little bit of what to expect.  Also tell about a little history.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#23]
heres a place for you dial-up(unlucky)guys to get it.  they have it broke into pieces for easy download.  [url]http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=army_download[/url]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#25]
So has anyone else been playing this game every day like me? It seems to run good for me. Im glad they got more servers up and running.
[8D]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I finally got it to run, but I can't qual. So when someone posted the cheats I decided to play with the different guns.
Anyone know how to use the grenades?
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#27]
cgwahl - I have the same problem!  I keep trying to qualify as Sniper, and can't get past 35 score - something always screws me up at the last moment - ARGH!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Has anyone got the online MOUT training to work?  WheneverI try to get on a server, it goes to the "Connecting" screen in the game and just sits there.  Kinda pissing me off.

Keving67
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top