Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2002 12:17:38 PM EDT
Why oh why do I have to choose expensive hobbies???

I just ordered my first R/C Airplane... One of the guys here at work is into R/C model flying, and the bug has bitten me.  

I ordered one of the less expensive foam planes that runs on an electric motor.  I'll snag a couple extra batteries, and later put a gearbox on it and use different props.

Eventually, I'd like to fly some scale models... a Vought F4U Corsair or P-51D Mustang are a couple I'd like to build someday.  

Anyone else into this hobby?  Any tips or pointers?  :)
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:23:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, get ready to spend some dough!

I used to fly gas powered RC planes.  The plane kit, engine and radios are just the first step.  You'll easily match that in tools and accessories.

I really enjoyed the hobby, but for some reason was always more anxious flying models than when I flew solo in a real airplane.  Very strange.  I wasn't gonna' die if I crashed the model yet I often had to fight to keep my thumbs from shaking off the radio controls.

I stopped putting money into the hobby when I started flying full scale, and quit all together after I crashed my last plane (A Sportster .60)
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Your getting into a nice hobby. At one time I had planes and now I wish I still had them.. I went to a helicopter flyin about a month ago now I have the ich again. have fun and keep the wheels down,....Trucker
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Same here, only with cars and trucks.  I hate to think of the toys (Gemtech M4 QD) that I could have had for the price of my trucks.  Every week it's something.  This week it's another $40 to rebuild my OS .15 CV-RX engine (piston and sleeve).

On the upside, I can play with these toys on my street.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#4]
CANCEL THE ORDER. [:)]

I have a complete turn-key trainer set for sale. Less than 5 hrs on plane. Still on first jug of fuel!
Hobbyco Alta-Vista trainer
.48 OS bearing motor
Non-entry level Futuba 6-channel radio (T6XA), outlet trickle charger AND 12V field quick chargers, wooden tote, fuel pumps, master/slave trainer cord, spare parts plane, bump starter, electric starter, tools, everything you need and more!

Email for pictures.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Now that's one hobby I've always known I would love, but I knew it would be very expensive!

So as I grew up, I stuck to cheaper hobbies like Guns and cars. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I did the R/C cars on dirt tracks for a while.  It was fun and very expensive.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought about getting a R/C plane a year ago, but decided that I would probably destroy it within a week.

Has anybody ever been tempted to install a 10/22 or somthing on the wing of a large R/C plane?  It would be so cool to have a video link-up to the plane, and a full mag, and do a strafing run over our field!

Am I just a complete idiot?  Or does anybody else ever think about that kind of stuff?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I just put together a Kyosho powered glider.  $400 bucks into it already.  The really big stuff can get pretty expensive and complicated with air powered retracts, flaps and even bomb dropping ability.

It really allows you to experience flying without leaving the ground.  Watch out for the crashes!  It will happen sooner or later.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought about getting a R/C plane a year ago, but decided that I would probably destroy it within a week.

Has anybody ever been tempted to install a 10/22 or somthing on the wing of a large R/C plane?  It would be so cool to have a video link-up to the plane, and a full mag, and do a strafing run over our field!

Am I just a complete idiot?  Or does anybody else ever think about that kind of stuff?
View Quote

I've thought about stuff like that, but it seems like a rifle might be a little too heavy. It would be cool to attach a couple of Estes rockets with remote launch capabilities under the wings though. Or maybe build a little bomb bay filled with M80s. [:)]

The possibilities are endless....
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not into it(too expensive) but years ago when I lived in florida, there was a park with a BIG feild.
Guys would fly their planes there on sundays. Pretty cool.

One word of warning"GRAVITY"
I saw one guy almost burst into tears , when he crashed one that looked like a Jap Zero.

It does look like fun.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Now Now Children!

Don't let your imaginations wonder to much before bedtime.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#12]
If you wanna spend some spare time learning how not to break your new toy, check out the flight simulators from Dave Brown or Great Planes. The 300 or so bucks you'll spend on it will probably be paid for when you avoid your first crash. If you wanna really spend some money, check out [url]www.variousa.com[/url], they make very fine scale helicopters and accessories. I have a Evolution S mechanics set that I'll hopefully be dropping into a 222 fuse. I've got a Futaba 8UHFS radio for it, and a Rossi/pipe setup for it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Ah, memories. I used to race R/C cars. Mostly 4 wheel off road cars. My favorites were the Kyosho Ultima and the Yokomos. Those were some fun times. :)
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey Torf,I've thought abouth the same things.Heck I've seen model P-51's that had to be 5-6 feet long.Can't see why you couldn't mount 4 or six p-32's and a little gun camera to harass the neighbors with.  LOL!!

Seriously though I believe that some people do build scale model battleships and such and put on mock battles where they really destroy eachothers ships.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Also a hobby I'd like to get into, but know it's quite expensive!  My neighbor builds his own planes and wrecks them often.  He has one "ultralight" plane that weighs only 3 or 4 ounces...the battery is half the weight.  It has to be REAL CALM for that thing to fly...but when it crashes, it falls apart (not by design either).

Get that software training program, it's expensive but they say it's extremely life-like and will save you money long term.

Look into building a Warthog later on down the line...what a kick-ass plane that is with the twin jet engines!!!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#16]
AAHHhhhhh... Good old R/C. Get in, go broke, get out!!! [:D]

DO: go for the software training.
DO: find other flyers - maybe a club field in your area - and talk to those guys. Listen to them.
DO: consider buying a gas powered trainer. See if Boomholzer will give you a good deal.

DON'T: just spend the money and go right out and try to fly it untrained.
DON'T: try to fly in your yard (unless it's a VERY big yard).
DON'T: buy a sport plane for your first. Learn to fly and THEN get fancy.

I also had the bug. Sold everything several years ago, but I do miss it sometimes.  DAMMIT! Now you have me thinking about searching the internet for R/C sites. DAMN YOU!!!![:D][:D][:D]

Seriously, it is a lot of fun and can be as expensive as you make it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a trainer, got it halfway put together, put it away for a few months as I was moving. During the move, I thought... I could fit this wroll of monokote in this box with the wing, and sorta slid it in the end, and it went BRRRRRRAP and ripped all the ribs out of the wing.

In retrospect, that saved me a BOATLOAD of money, as I still hadn't bought my radios or servos yet, nor my 2nd, third, or fourth airplanes.

I did notice however, that I seem to be about 30 years too young to be doing this hobby, and I'll be old enough to run for president in just a couple years. Then I decided that maybe the reason why everyone in the sport has grey hair is that it requires a lot of money and time.

Anyone want to buy a NIB OS Max 25 FP?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I've thought about stuff like that, but it seems like a rifle might be a little too heavy. It would be cool to attach a couple of Estes rockets with remote launch capabilities under the wings though. Or maybe build a little bomb bay filled with M80s. [:)]

The possibilities are endless....
View Quote

I had thought of the .22 cal model airplane myself.  Unfortunately, I know nothing about R/C, so it was an idea quickly abandoned.  Estes rockets on the other hand........  How much powder do you think a guy could get in a plastic nosecone?[;)]  I have plans drawn up for surface to surface and airburst.  Just dont quite have the guts to try it yet.  There used to be a "Dangerous Rocketry Club", but I havent been able to find anything on them in a while.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Seriously though I believe that some people do build scale model battleships and such and put on mock battles where they really destroy eachothers ships.
View Quote

IIRC, they use little gravity fed bb cannons -- ie, hopper full of bb's that drop into the "barrel" (usually not that long, 4 or 5 inches) and a solenoid opens and closes a valve to a tank of co2 or compressed air.

As for the rocket thing, well, my friend and I tried that with his .60 sized trainer in HS(hobbico or something, don't remember what exactly it was) with 4 or 5 cheap-assed estes rockets (you know, the really little ones that only use streamers and the little 1/2 A engines) under each wing.  We rigged the ignitors so they'd ignite one after the other, alternating wings (we were bored and had a few microcontrollers to play with).  No video link, since that would have been too much money, but it was kinda cool to come buzzing along over the field and push the button -- kinda had that "korean-war ungided-missiles-fired-en-masse-from-plane" look.  Never did find the rockets though (perhaps because we didn't mess with streamers, we just glued the nosecones on)

If I had access to a plane that could handle it, I'd want to put a paintgun or two in it.  Bzzzzz.....popopopopop.......bzzzzzzz  multi-colored spectators [}:D]

edited to add: If I wasn't starting with my project car this summer I'd probably have the plane, with the video link.  Amateur radio is great for that - [url]http://www.hamtv.com/[/url] has equipment if anyone is interested (you do need an amateur radio license -- not hard to get though).
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#20]
A great hobby, I'm into the boats personally.  As mentioned though, its too damn expensive, and if I didn't know the owners and employees at the local hobby shop personally I wouldn't be in it (I get everything at cost, or 1% above it.[:D]).
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
DON'T: just spend the money and go right out and try to fly it untrained.
View Quote

notice i am selling one "parts plane" and one new one.
I thought I could learn on my own and I crashed the very first time up. A $220 mistake.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 12:20:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Has anybody ever been tempted to install a 10/22 or somthing on the wing of a large R/C plane?
View Quote

Great hobby'
There's a guy north of Austin that has a gaint scale p-40 that has 2 10-22's in it, and is fully functional for dropping "bombs"
Borg
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 12:36:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you wanna spend some spare time learning how not to break your new toy, check out the flight simulators from Dave Brown or Great Planes. The 300 or so bucks you'll spend on it will probably be paid for when you avoid your first crash.
View Quote

There's a free one that you can download from
[url]http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html[/url] And you can find out in the forum, how to build the interface cord to your Tx, for most anyway.
Borg
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:31:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Do you have any hills nearby?  If so, you may want to try slope soaring.  Slope soaring uses the lift of the wind as it blows up the hill.  You can get into the air for less than $200 with a plane that will take plenty of abuse without destruction.  They are made of foam and bounce when they hit the ground.  Then once your skills improve, step up into fiberglass planes that fly a lot faster with more energy, unfortunately they "crunch" when they hit the ground.

Flight times of 30 minutes or more are not uncommon.  Fly til you are tired or til the flight batteries go dead after a couple of hours.  No gas to run out or batteries lasting 15 minutes with an electric.

[img]http://www.davesaircraftworks.com/hunter.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.davesaircraftworks.com[/url]

Some sites in Texas.
[url]http://www.slopeflyer.com/html/texas.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:53:16 AM EDT
[#25]
R/C is addictive, once you start you;ll really enjoy it.  I've been flying R/C since I was 8 or 9.  We have a great club with a great field around here and it's just a good time.  It's really not THAT expensive, you can get started with a good trainer and get all setup for about 400 to 500. Of couse you CAN spend more, that's up to you.  My recommendation is a great planes PT-40 (NOT THE TRAINER 40 but the PT-40) and some good instruction.  When my dad and I started flying he decided to go ahead and take off without an instructor and promptly put the new plane, the new radio and a new engine (he borrowed the engine) into a river.  After that we learned a lot from some very helpful instructors.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:26:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Been there, done that! Wrecked two $1,000 dollar R/C's in less than a year.[:(]

I love to build them but hate to fly them. As a private pilot and owner of several real airplanes, I can assure you that it's easier to fly the real thing than the R/C types. But it's a hell of a lot of fun and you meet some really nice people. Bring lots of money to this hobby.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:51:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Before you buy find a club with an instructor
program it will save you big bucks and much frustration. It is quite possible to learn how to fly and solo on one plane. Often the clubs will have trainer setups avalible cheap or know of them . The flight sims help get you used to control reversal (when you turn the plane and come back at yourself the turning controls are reversed.)
Good luck and have fun!
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:42:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, I ordered one of the cheaper electric powered foam trainers.  If I break a wing or something, I can glue it, or heck, $25 for a replacement.  I have a buddy here at work that flies a lot.  He likes building the SPADs, so eventually, I'll build one of those.  

The one I'm getting will be good for training, as it flies pretty slow, and will bounce, since it's foam.  Slap a gearbox and a prop adapter on it, and I can probably get it to scream for cheap.  Use it for a while, get confident on it, then move up to something else, and sell this one on Ebay.  :)

Thanks for the input guys.  Hopefully I can keep this hobby under control... I won't have too much time to do it too often, so hopefully this trainer will last me a while.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Oh it's about R/C airplanes. When you said expensive, I thought you were taking up sports car racing. Please excuse the interruption.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:38:33 AM EDT
[#30]
The other thing that tipped me off that this hobby might be REALLY more expensive than I initially thought was the disproportionately high number of current pilots and revoked medicals.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#31]
So, I'll be into R/C flying pretty soon... but I've already found the NEXT, even MORE expensive hobby.  Why keep your feet on the ground when you can fly yourself!!  HANG GLIDING!!  There's a school where I live, too!!  Awesome!
One of my non-shooting buddies has expressed interest too.... next summer, I'll try to take classes and buy a glider...  

(cha-ching!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top