Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2012 10:01:13 AM EDT
Looking at getting one for my .22 MKIII that is waiting for a suppressor.

Worth getting or decent in terms of performance?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Just a SWAG, but I doubt it, not enough gas produced. I can, however, see you get a small bit of recoil/flip reduction just because there's more weight on the end of the barrel. But, I might be completely wrong. Someone with actual knowledge will be along soon.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just a SWAG, but I doubt it, not enough gas produced. I can, however, see you get a small bit of recoil/flip reduction just because there's more weight on the end of the barrel. But, I might be completely wrong. Someone with actual knowledge will be along soon.

I would agree with this post.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Hmm, thanks!

(waiting for other replies)
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would agree with this post.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I love mine. With subsonics I can shoot off the back porch and you can't even hear what I'm doing from the front yard. It's also great for first time shooters and kids. Almost always lets them shoot without flinching.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#6]
In my expereince: no, it doesn't work to reduce recoil.

It does work great, however, at getting 50-150 bucks out of a customer's pocket for some tacticool shit to hang on the front of a Buck Mark.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#7]
.22  long rifle operates at higher pressure than .45 ACP.  Shorter barrel pistols could  see  benefit from compensators.  I know rapid fire .22 pistols used in prior Olympics had some practical compensation.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
.22  long rifle operates at higher pressure than .45 ACP.  Shorter barrel pistols could  see  benefit from compensators.  I know rapid fire .22 pistols used in prior Olympics had some practical compensation.  

Thanks keith. I appriciate the response.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I always thought of comps as either reducing recoil or reducing movement of the muzzle.

Neither of these is really a problem for me with .22LR.  Maybe there's someone out there that can shoot better than me and owns a better rifle that can wring some performance out of it, but I'd just stick a nut on there to protect the threads and call it good.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd think a weight would be just as effective

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#11]
$35 for a Tactical Solution comp on my 22/45. There is a marked difference in felt recoil. I use it for louder report it produces, that way a shot-counter can better detect each round. Lot's of folks use them in Speed-Steel matches for this purpose.
Yes, it also looks kinda cool. Do what you want with your pistol, Everyone's opinion be damned.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Volquartsen comp on my Ruger 22 and it's hard to say. It feels like a little less recoil but that could be just the added weight on the end of the barrel since the comp weighs about 4 ounces.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I can't notice any difference on my friend's compensated 10/22 versus my uncompensated one, but I did notice a benefit on the browning buckmark when I tried it with a compensator.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I built one many moons ago that fit on the taper of my Marlin 25n barrel. I did notice a slight increase in accuracy, but it could have been because of the weight. It did work as the gasses were directed away from the bore the bullet passed through. I figured that the action of stopping some of the gas from passing and enveloping the bullet may give an accuracy edge. I just don't have resources to test it.

I made some for 10/22 's based on the principle. Again, no proof of better accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I was under the impression that comp effectiveness was due to the volume of gas produced, not pressure. IIRC there is a wildcat made for race guns (9x25?) that has a greater case capacity for the sole purpose of producing a greater volume of gas for guns with comps, not to increase velocity or pressure.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just genuinely curious.    

ETA: Just looked it up, I'm wrong about the cartridge, it's not the 9x25 dillon.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was under the impression that comp effectiveness was due to the volume of gas produced, not pressure. IIRC there is a wildcat made for race guns (9x25?) that has a greater case capacity for the sole purpose of producing a greater volume of gas for guns with comps, not to increase velocity or pressure.

Both pressure and powder mass are necessary for a compensator to work.  With a 4.5" barrel, a .22 LR can have pretty good compensation for muzzle rise.  Total recoil, not so much.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Both pressure and powder mass are necessary for a compensator to work.  With a 4.5" barrel, a .22 LR can have pretty good compensation for muzzle rise.  Total recoil, not so much.

Thanks Keith

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a 6 and 7/8" fluted heavy barrel on my gun (Ruger MK III Hunter). I added a TACSOL comp and I am wondering how much difference it will make.

The muzzle flip without it was a bit more than I thought it would be. MIght make a difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top