Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2012 9:08:16 AM EDT
Is pretty cool....

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#1]
why is the a film from 2009 and a film from 2011?  aren't they supposed to wait 20 years to remake something?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
why is the a film from 2009 and a film from 2011?  aren't they supposed to wait 20 years to remake something?

Wasn't one a foreign film?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't one a foreign film?

Yeah, it was in Swedish. They just remade it in English.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:14:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Second film was an American remake of a foreign film, which was also recently released. American film directed by David Fincher (Benjamin Button) so it was well-received.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Trent Reznor did a pretty good job with the soundtrack, imho.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:16:23 AM EDT
[#6]
the foreign version is almost LOTR in length, they have extended edition on netflix.  ill have to try it out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
the foreign version is almost LOTR in length, they have extended edition on netflix.  ill have to try it out.

Excellent movie, even with the distraction of subtitles.  You should watch the trilogy.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Another David Fincher opening credits

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's absolutely worth watching though you sorta need to pay attention or you'll be lost before too long.

Indeed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Another David Fincher opening credits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD7w2l88dl8

also a trent reznor song
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Mediocre compared to the American version. Lisbeth wears a blue and white jacket and drives at the speed limit.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Do you know the name of that song and who originally recorded it?

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Loved the remake of The Immigrant song and I like the movies both versions.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Reminds me of...

ETA:

FUUUUUUUUU .  Beaten.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Led Zeppelin  -  Immigrant Song

A Classic!

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

and I was going to say that I thought the intro was cool except for that abortion of a cover of the Immigrant Song.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

and I was going to say that I thought the intro was cool except for that abortion of a cover of the Immigrant Song.

Honestly it came across better on the big screen.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

a lot of americans have trouble reading subtitles...
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

a lot of americans have trouble reading subtitles...

They were not identical movies. It is worth watching both to get a better understanding of the story.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Trent Reznor did a pretty good job with the soundtrack, imho.  

No doubt... his cover of Immigrant Song is bad ass

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly it came across better on the big screen.

YouTube doesn't really do it justice.  You need a big HD screen and surround sound to get the full effect.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

For the love of God, man....

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent movie, even with the distraction of subtitles.  You should watch the trilogy.

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mediocre compared to the American version. Lisbeth wears a blue and white jacket and drives at the speed limit.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They were not identical movies. It is worth watching both to get a better understanding of the story.

It is worth reading the book.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#28]

That was good. I can't wait to see the movie. I also want to watch the foreign trilogy.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is worth reading the book.  

Very much so.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Two different movies, both based on the books.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is your fucking major malfunction?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#32]
That opening sequence was pointless, and even worse, the merging of the male/female form is the EXACT OPPOSITE of the theme of the book.

The American movie totally "neuters" the female character and makes her Daniel Craig's puppy.

Even my brother in law, who usually doesn't watch movies unless they are made by Michael Bay, or star washed up 80s action heros, saw both and thought the Swedish film was better, even though he HAD TO READ (the horror).

Book > Swedish Film >>> American Film

ETA: Trent Reznor is awesome.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe he doesn't like Led Zeplin

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That opening sequence was pointless, and even worse, the merging of the male/female form is the EXACT OPPOSITE of the theme of the book.

The American movie totally "neuters" the female character and makes her Daniel Craig's puppy.

Even my brother in law, who usually doesn't watch movies unless they are made by Michael Bay, or star washed up 80s action heros, saw both and thought the Swedish film was better, even though he HAD TO READ (the horror).

ummm ... maybe you didn't see the same movie I did...but

The "the female character" rides a motorcycle wide open everywhere she goes, breaks a dudes jaw with a golf club and ties up and ass rapes a man.  If you call that a neutered female character, than whats your definition of one with balls?

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Awful.Just awful. to each their own. I am born out of time and things like this only serve to drive that point home to me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno.....  I'm a hard core LedZep fan, and I kinda' liked it.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The "the female character" rides a motorcycle wide open everywhere she goes, breaks a dudes jaw with a golf club and ties up and ass rapes a man.  If you call that a neutered female character, than whats your definition of one with balls?

Watch the Swedish film, off the top of my head:

1)

A: She gets attached to him after they sleep together.  

S: She wanted a booty call, she kicks him out and he pines after her.

2)

A: When he finds out some of her back story by snooping she is a little surprised and seems to like that he cares.

S: She is furious, and threatens to whip his ass if he does it again.

In other words, she is a loner, she wants nothing to do with him besides solving the mystery that interested her.  This makes the film more confusing and scary for the viewer because the main narrator is lost at sea and has no one to back him up.

*****SPOILERS*****:

3)

A:  After the sex murder NAZI almost kills the journalist, she is concerned about him, and he grants her permission to chase after him.

B: Quick check to make sure he is alive, makes her own choice to abandon a guy who might be mortally wounded to chase after the NAZI.

4)

A: Once she chases him down, he crashes his car and as she walks over it bursts into flames.

B: Once she chases him down, he is trapped in a burning car with a fuel leak, he pleads for her to save him, she makes the choice to just watch him as he burns alive.

This leads to another scene where the journalist realizes what she did, and says he understands her choice but can't support it.  She really doesn't give a damn, takes off.  

And she sure as hell doesn't buy him a nice leather jacket because she isn't a school girl with a crush. She is a much tougher and emotionally hardened character that the journalist, I guess there was no way to get Daniel Craig to agree to play that part, and so the movie was written to harden him up and make her his love interest.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Completely agree.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Watch the Swedish film, off the top of my head:

1)
A: She gets attached to him after they sleep together.  
S: She wanted a booty call, she kicks him out and he pines after her.

2)
A: When he finds out some of her back story by snooping she is a little surprised and seems to like that he cares.
S: She is furious, and threatens to whip his ass if he does it again.

In other words, she is a loner, she wants nothing to do with him besides solving the mystery that interested her.  This makes the film more confusing and scary for the viewer because the main narrator is lost at sea and has no one to back him up.

*****SPOILERS*****:

3)
A:  After the sex murder NAZI almost kills the journalist, she is concerned about him, and he grants her permission to chase after him.
B: Quick check to make sure he is alive, makes her own choice to abandon a guy who might be mortally wounded to chase after the NAZI.

4)
A: Once she chases him down, he crashes his car and as she walks over it bursts into flames.
B: Once she chases him down, he is trapped in a burning car with a fuel leak, he pleads for her to save him, she makes the choice to just watch him as he burns alive.

This leads to another scene where the journalist realizes what she did, and says he understands her choice but can't support it.  She really doesn't give a damn, takes off.  

And she sure as hell doesn't buy him a nice leather jacket because she isn't a school girl with a crush. She is a much tougher and emotionally hardened character that the journalist, I guess there was no way to get Daniel Craig to agree to play that part, and so the movie was written to harden him up and make her his love interest.  

She is very attached to him in the book.  I think the American version gets her character better than the Swedish film.  Blomkvist is portrayed more accurately in the Swedish film, but honestly I like his character in the American film better than in the book.  

There's no way you can claim that the movie "totally neuters" Lisbeth.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I read somewhere that the opening sequence was Lisbeth's nightmare.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I agree. The American version kinda missed the point of Lisbeth.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe he doesn't like Led Zeplin

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top