Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/31/2012 6:05:12 AM EDT
Seems like it was the end all be all of handguns. Everybody rants about the accuracy and smoothness of it. From what I can tell it was pretty popular and was the premier HK product. Why did they suddenly stop manufacturing it? Do you think they will one day bring it back?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:05:29 AM EDT
[#1]
$$$
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:06:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Too expensive to produce.

It is not the "end all". Like everything it has its shortcomings too. Very good, but not the "end all".

And I'm an HK fanboy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:09:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
$$$

From what I have read, this is the case. Hella expensive to make compared to the polymer framed guns that are popular these days. Same reason smith dropped their metal framed pistol line up.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:09:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Guess that always happens when a product is discontinued. Popularity suddenly skyrockets. Just like OD Glocks.

Quoted:

It is not the "end all". Like everything it has its shortcomings too. Very good, but not the "end all".

And I'm an HK fanboy.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:10:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Guess that always happens when a product is discontinued. Popularity suddenly skyrockets. Just like OD Glocks.

Quoted:

And I'm an HK fanboy.

That and all the surplus ones that were imported awhile back for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:11:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I need to buy a M8.   I was able to shoot my mom's PSP, and I'm sold on them.  I couldnt miss with that little bugger.  Gets pretty hot though
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:12:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Bavarian State Police here still carries a P7-PSP. New officers still get new P7's, so apparently H&K still makes them for the .gov over here.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:14:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bavarian State Police here still carries a P7-PSP. New officers still get new P7's, so apparently H&K still makes them for the .gov over here.

Interesting. I wonder why they dont import them here then. There is enough following that it should be worth their effort.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting. I wonder why they dont import them here then. There is enough following that it should be worth their effort.

Is there? I know a lot of people online gush about them (and other single stack 9mm pistols) but don't you think manufacturers would be a little more in tune with the market if the actual demand was high?

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:18:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Dunno.... One would think that the market is quite big. AFAIK even the Kansas Hwy. Patrol had P7's at a time.

H&K must still produce quite a few, the State Police here is a 38,000 officer Dept. The PSP is pretty much the M8, the protection details have the M13.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Because if you actually shoot them more then a mag or two, you need a set of asbestos gloves.

Nice guns, maybe one day I'll buy one but they are not really made to actually shoot a lot in one session.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:22:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I wasn't impressed with my PSP
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:31:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Because if you actually shoot them more then a mag or two, you need a set of asbestos gloves.

Nice guns, maybe one day I'll buy one but they are not really made to actually shoot a lot in one session.

Would love to see someone try to take a pistol course with one.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:35:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shot one one that was owned by a relative, he used my 1911, I used his P7 and we both shot a box of ammo each, by the 4th mag, it was uncomfortable to shoot, accurate, great trigger, liked the ergonomics, wasn't any fun after 4 mags thru it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:44:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

With one?   Or two or three alternated?  

I REALLY like the pistol design.   Accurate for a 'factory' pistol (the only ones that matched/exceeded in my experience are a SIG P210 and Colt Python).   Definitely has the shortcomings mentioned above, but a lot of advantages also (safer with the round in the chamber than just about any other firearm, 'single' control...the squeeze cocker drops the slide, acts as the safety, etc).    For practical purposes, I'd rather carry a P7 of just about any flavor over a Glock.....not that the Glocks are bad....but I can't hit shit with them (not used to the trigger pull/ergos).
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I need to buy a M8.   I was able to shoot my mom's PSP, and I'm sold on them.  I couldnt miss with that little bugger.  Gets pretty hot though

The P7M8 has a heat shield inside the trigger guard. I've shot mine a LOT, and never had a problem with the gas system.

One of my buddies bought a P7 PSP after shooting my P7M8, and he bought a P7M8 heat shield from HK, and glued it in with high temp silicone glue. He had to cut it a little smaller, but he said it was easy to do.

I bought one about 20 years ago. They are extremely accurate; just a LOT of fun to shoot.

They are REALLY nice pistols. The only downside to them is that you can't shoot cast lead bullets, because of the gas system.

They are quite small for having a 4 inch barrel.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Now how am I supposed to play Hans Gruber..

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Go pick up a hot barbeque brick and you'll see why.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there? I know a lot of people online gush about them (and other single stack 9mm pistols) but don't you think manufacturers would be a little more in tune with the market if the actual demand was high?  

Dont know if its a single stack thing, it did come in a double stack model. I think it has more to do with its unique mode of operation and the laser like accuracy they are supposed to have.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The P7M8 has a heat shield inside the trigger guard.

Which isn't going to do jack about the whole gun heating up. If your P7 isn't getting toasty, you aren't shooting it a lot.

On a whole, I now find the P7 to be vastly overrated.

It's quite big for what it is; my CZ 75 Compact is barely any bigger (in every dimension) and holds 14+1 instead of 8+1.
It really isn't that pleasant to shoot; not only is there the heat issue, but the recoil isn't exactly mild for an all-steel 9mm.
It doesn't seem to be any more accurate; mine hasn't shown any advantage in accuracy at all over my CZs.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The P7M8 has a heat shield inside the trigger guard. I've shot mine a LOT, and never had a problem with the gas system.

One of my buddies bought a P7 PSP after shooting my P7M8, and he bought a P7M8 heat shield from HK, and glued it in with high temp silicone glue. He had to cut it a little smaller, but he said it was easy to do.

I bought one about 20 years ago. They are extremely accurate; just a LOT of fun to shoot.

They are REALLY nice pistols. The only downside to them is that you can't shoot cast lead bullets, because of the gas system. because of the polygonal barrel.

They are quite small for having a 4 inch barrel.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#22]
I miss my P7-M13

Great pistol, very smooth and very very accurate. It got pretty hot through-the whole frame was a giant heat sink. Sadly, I had to sell it years ago to help pay a medical bill during a time that I was between insurance.

One day I'll have another-once the right deal presents itself.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It takes a hell of a lot more than 2 mags to heat one up hot enough to get too hot to hold
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which isn't going to do jack about the whole gun heating up. If your P7 isn't getting toasty, you aren't shooting it a lot.

It's quite big for what it is; my CZ 75 Compact is barely any bigger (in every dimension) and holds 14+1 instead of 8+1.

It really isn't that pleasant to shoot; not only is there the heat issue, but the recoil isn't exactly mild for an all-steel 9mm.

It doesn't seem to be any more accurate; mine hasn't shown any advantage in accuracy at all over my CZs.

Which CZs do you have?  I own a bunch of pistols, but that P7 was sublime to shoot.  If a CZ can match that trigger, and accuracy then I'll pick one up right quick and in a hurry.

My next two pistol purchases will be a P7M8 and a Sig P210
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:26:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Seems like it was the end all be all of handguns. Everybody rants about the accuracy and smoothness of it. From what I can tell it was pretty popular and was the premier HK product. Why did they suddenly stop manufacturing it? Do you think they will one day bring it back?

They stopped making them because guys like me wouldn't buy one.  High price, mags are too expensive, low capacity...
I'm certain that it's a fine pistol.  

If they can sell new ones for $1500-$2000, I would not be surprised if they restart production.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Which CZs do you have?  I own a bunch of pistols, but that P7 was sublime to shoot.  If a CZ can match that trigger, and accuracy then I'll pick one up right quick and in a hurry.

I own (or have owned):

- Several standard 75Bs
- An original short-rail 75
- The abomination that is the 75B Omega
- CZ 75 Compact
- CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow
- CZ 75 Tactical Sports
- CZ 75B SA

Again, I never saw any great accuracy from my P7. Pretty normal; not bad, but not blow-my-mind amazing. That honor belongs to my CZ 75 Tactical Sports, the most accurate handgun I have ever owned.

One of the best triggers out there is a tuned CZ SAO in a FPB-less setup. My TS is set to a little over a pound-and-a-half and breaks like glass. The only thing I've ever handled that beats it is a tuned 1911 trigger.

That's another thing I don't understand - the love of the P7s trigger. I don't get it. It doesn't seem great to me; even the one my friend has that was all slicked-up. Not bad, but nothing super-amazing either.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There isn't. They have always been extremely slow sellers.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Market for heavy, expensive carry pieces went bye-bye.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#29]
To me it seemed liked a niche pistol, a new P7M13 could pass $1,000 if I recall correctly.  Magazines were like $60!  Glock was gaining ground in the late 80's and early 90's and there was nothing you could do with a P7 that a Glock couldn't do at half the price.  Even a Sig P22x was cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

And I'm an HK fanboy.

That and all the surplus ones that were imported awhile back for a reasonable price.

What is reasonable assuming you can find one.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:07:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It takes a hell of a lot more than 2 mags to heat one up hot enough to get too hot to hold

I agree. They get hot, but they don't get hot that fast. That's silly.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:08:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Now how am I supposed to play Hans Gruber..

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/c/cd/DH-P7M13-1.jpg/800px-DH-P7M13-1.jpg

Ha ha!  That movie played a huge part in my tracking down and buying a chromed M13!  

All hail Hans Gruber!
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. They get hot, but they don't get hot that fast. That's silly.

It does take more than two mags, but not much more.  The first time I shot my M13, it took exactly three mags fired quickly to make it uncomfortable to hold.  That didn't stop me from getting a pair of gloves out and making that bastard smoke though!  
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

And I'm an HK fanboy.

I think when they were first importing the surplus ones they were running in the $500 range. Dont own one but I remember guys coming here and posting pics of them. As for what they go for now, I have no idea. I think its an interesting pistol for sure but not one I would probably want to own unless I ran into a steal on one.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer my CZ 75s in general also, but I carry a P7 and except for the limited capacity I consider it for me to be about the perfect carry gun.

Also I have to disagree about the trigger. I think the P7 series has a great trigger.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#36]
I loved my M8 so much I bought another.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm shocked I'm the first to say this.

H&K stopped making the P7 because you suck, and they hate you.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I own (or have owned):

- Several standard 75Bs

- An original short-rail 75

- The abomination that is the 75B Omega

- CZ 75 Compact

- CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow

- CZ 75 Tactical Sports

- CZ 75B SA
Again, I never saw any great accuracy from my P7. Pretty normal; not bad, but not blow-my-mind amazing. That honor belongs to my CZ 75 Tactical Sports, the most accurate handgun I have ever owned.

One of the best triggers out there is a tuned CZ SAO in a FPB-less setup. My TS is set to a little over a pound-and-a-half and breaks like glass. The only thing I've ever handled that beats it is a tuned 1911 trigger.

That's another thing I don't understand - the love of the P7s trigger. I don't get it. It doesn't seem great to me; even the one my friend has that was all slicked-up. Not bad, but nothing super-amazing either.

I learned to shoot and grew up shooting glocks.  My first purchase was a 45 USP (followed by a bunch of other polymer HKs) and I bought two berettas after being issued one.  So my experience with pistol triggers isn't that good I guess, so maybe that's why I like the P7 trigger so damn much.  It's soooooo nice compared to my stable of pistols.  It is very accurate in my opinion.  I make nice tiny groups with it.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#39]
HK stopped producing the P7 for the same reason every company still in business decided to stop producing a product...

Not enough people were willing to pay enough to keep it profitable.

"Die Hard" was a long time ago.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I'm an HK fanboy.

I think when they were first importing the surplus ones they were running in the $500 range. Dont own one but I remember guys coming here and posting pics of them. As for what they go for now, I have no idea. I think its an interesting pistol for sure but not one I would probably want to own unless I ran into a steal on one.

When I was shopping for a P7 about a year and a half ago PSPs were going for between $650 and $850 depending on condition.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#41]
I'd pay quite a bit for a hard chromed P7 with wood grips.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
HK will probably make anything  for you, including sewing machines and motorcycles(yeah, I remember somewhere long time ago they made this stuff), as long you have to pay for it. I believe that U.S. state of New Jersey wanted to refurb all of their HK P7s, but HK submitted a bid that was was way too expensive so they switched to another pistol.

The P7s are good guns, but have a real unusual manual of arms because of their squeeze cocking mechanism.

I wouldn't mind having a P7M10(40S&W), and P7M13(9mmNATO/Para), and of course the rare P7M3 in 380ACP/32ACP and 22LR.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#43]
I didn't want one before but I do now.

Yes I am an HK fan boy and now that I own the two polymer HKs I wanted, I guess its time to find one of these.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Just like the Python, couldn't justify the cost of production

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#45]
I'd like to see a design with the same action, but single action striker fired without the squeeze cocker. 15 round mag.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Some pretty interesting info at Wikipedia:

Wikipedia - Heckler & Koch P7
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
$$$

From what I have read, this is the case. Hella expensive to make compared to the polymer framed guns that are popular these days. Same reason smith dropped their metal framed pistol line up.

man those were good guns
miss them
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#48]
the P7 is one of the most elegant guns ever, imo.  its hard to believe it was made by the same company that only makes ugly, bulky handguns today.  the P7 has a slim, low profile slide that makes it very easy to carry.  it also has probably the lowest bore axis of any semi-auto.  neither of these things can be found on any current HK model

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
but don't you think manufacturers would be a little more in tune with the market if the actual demand was high?  

I see you're not familiar with Heckler & Koch GmbH.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#50]
End all be all? You are mistaken sir. I would not call a pistol you can not comfortably shoot more than a few mags before it becomes uncomfortable to hold because of the gas system the end all be all of handguns. It is an interesting design, especially for law enforcement (supposedly thugs don't know how to operate it if they manage to get the weapon away from a cop), but there are better designs out there.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top