Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2012 2:03:19 PM EDT
I have to really disagree with this article on the Marine Corps Blog for a variety of reasons.

Lance Cpl. Harry Lew kept falling asleep on his post in Afghanistan. As punishment, two other lance corporals in his unit made Lew do push-ups, leg lifts and side planks. They poured sand in his face and mouth, kicked him and punched him for several hours. Shortly after this degrading and humiliating experience, Lew shot himself in the head.

While most instances of hazing are not this severe or end with such devastating results, even the act of slapping chevrons into the collarbone after promotion and the punching of a newly-promoted noncommissioned officer’s legs to symbolize the blood stripe can cause emotional, physical and psychological damage to a Marine. Furthermore, these acts are in direct opposition to the values and ethics upheld by the Marine Corps. Renewed effort is being taken to eradicate hazing in the Corps.

“Hazing is a crime that is inconsistent with our core values and organizational purpose of making Marines, winning our nation’s battles and returning quality citizens upon completion of their service,” said Sgt. Maj. of the Marine Corps Micheal P. Barrett in a recent testimony about hazing before the House Armed Service Subcommittee on Military Personnel March 22.

Barrett even went so far as to compare hazing to having insurgents inside the wire.

http://marines.dodlive.mil/2012/03/26/hazing-in-the-marine-corps/
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have to really disagree with this article on the Marine Corps Blog for a variety of reasons.

Lance Cpl. Harry Lew kept falling asleep on his post in Afghanistan. As punishment, two other lance corporals in his unit made Lew do push-ups, leg lifts and side planks. They poured sand in his face and mouth, kicked him and punched him for several hours. Shortly after this degrading and humiliating experience, Lew shot himself in the head.

While most instances of hazing are not this severe or end with such devastating results, even the act of slapping chevrons into the collarbone after promotion and the punching of a newly-promoted noncommissioned officer’s legs to symbolize the blood stripe can cause emotional, physical and psychological damage to a Marine. Furthermore, these acts are in direct opposition to the values and ethics upheld by the Marine Corps. Renewed effort is being taken to eradicate hazing in the Corps.

“Hazing is a crime that is inconsistent with our core values and organizational purpose of making Marines, winning our nation’s battles and returning quality citizens upon completion of their service,” said Sgt. Maj. of the Marine Corps Micheal P. Barrett in a recent testimony about hazing before the House Armed Service Subcommittee on Military Personnel March 22.

Barrett even went so far as to compare hazing to having insurgents inside the wire.

http://marines.dodlive.mil/2012/03/26/hazing-in-the-marine-corps/

insurgents in the wire is what ure gonna have if you can't punish a boot for falling asleep on post in a war zone
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Falling asleep at your post in a combat zone in hazardous to your health.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

insurgents in the wire is what ure gonna have if you can't punish a boot for falling asleep on post in a war zone

+100

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't want to diminish the war in Iraq or A-Stan; but we are in deep shit if we ever have to fight a war that requires the US to take the gloves off so to speak.  First the civilian men were feminized, then the Army and Navy, and finally the Marines are sub coming to the same fate.  God help us!!!!  
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
From the MSNBC story on it::

Prosecuting attorney Maj. Hanorah Tyer-Witek told the jury in closing arguments that witnesses saw Orozco ordering Lew to do push-ups after Lew had been digging a foxhole for two hours without eating or drinking anything.

Orozco was annoyed and fed up that Lew had fallen asleep on watch for the fourth time since he arrived at Patrol Base Gowragi, she said.

He placed sandbags on Lew's legs while Lew did leg lifts, Tyer-Witek said. Sand got into Lew's mouth when Orozco ripped open the sandbag after Lew stopped lifting.

"This was messing with him. This was piling on," she said.

Intially I was going to say something else, but this seems relevant.

I will say there's a difference between making a correction and hazing, and that requires judgement.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Double tap trying to make correction.  Damn.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#7]
"They poured sand in his face and mouth, kicked him and punched him for several hours."

This is not corrective action. The people who did this should be brought up on charges.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

An offence punishable by death.

Article 113 UCMJ

“Any sentinel or look-out who is found drunk or sleeping upon his post, or leaves it before he is regularly relieved, shall be punished, if the offense is committed in time of war, by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct, but if the offense is committed at any other time, by such punishment other than death as a court-martial may direct.”
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While I agree falling asleep on guard duty is very bad, do we know the circumstances of said guard duty? Was he actually at a posted somewhere where it fucking matters, or did some dickhead E7 decide to have him watching port-a-johns for terrorists. I've seen retarded shit like that happen.

Either way, pouring sand in his mouth and punching and kicking the guy for several hours is uncalled for. Smoke the shit out of him or find other creative ways to punish him.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Marines, what's your 1st 2nd and 11th general order?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

While I agree falling asleep on guard duty is very bad, do we know the circumstances of said guard duty? Was he actually at a posted somewhere where it fucking matters, or did some dickhead E7 decide to have him watching port-a-johns for terrorists. I've seen retarded shit like that happen.

Either way, pouring sand in his mouth and punching and kicking the guy for several hours is uncalled for. Smoke the shit out of him or find other creative ways to punish him.

He was at a small patrol base and they had received warning they enemy was going to attack them that evening.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top