Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#1]
In some localities it is common to arrest the person defending himself, charges files, and then immediately dropped.  This protects the person from "double jeopardy", later being charged or sued by the attacker.  Since there was no prosecution of the defender, the good guy, the attacker cannot use any conviction against him in court.  Or so it was explained to me.  I wonder about all that, but that is how it was done in another state I lived in years ago.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:38:32 AM EDT
[#2]
jrzy, what do you figure this little episode cost you in lawyer's fees, time off work, the price of the shotgun that was stolen from you, etc?
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
jrzy, what do you figure this little episode cost you in lawyer's fees, time off work, the price of the shotgun that was stolen from you, etc?
View Quote

The lawyer charged me 2500 up front against a fee of about 10,000 if it went to trial,and he never gave me a rebate on the 2500,thats pretty fucked up when you consider the fact he didin't do anything except order the discovery and two hours worth of consultations with me.
He never had to prepare a defense because he never got the discovery and i wasn't indicted.
The shotgun that was taken wasn't worth much ,maybe a hundred bucks and my time was not much either.
Looking back i still think i got off cheap here in the people's republic of NJ.
You know when you are so worried about getting a felony conviction and maybe even going to jail because of whats called the "Graves act" in NJ which says any crime commited with a gun is a mandatory 3 years you really get side tracked and don't even get the chance to think "holy shit i didn't do anything wrong"
They get you so scared that you will be leaving behind your wife and kids that they make it so you just want the whole thing over with.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#5]
The guy in the pic is luftwaffe, right?
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I know each state is different, and maybe it’s changed anyway, but at one time Federal LEO’s couldn’t legally “unarrest” someone (though it was definitely done).  Anyone arrested had to be taken before a magistrate.  If they weren’t, the arresting LEO could be accused of false arrest.

I suspect the prosecutor made you go through the motions of the Grand Jury to protect the judgement-impaired LEO who arrested you (and his agency).

Congratulations on being able to resolve the confrontation without having to use deadly force.  Even when you’re 100% right, doing so - esp. in a state like NJ - can exact a heavy price both financially and emotionally on you and your family.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top