Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Was that knifed or boxcuttered?
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#2]
y RYAN PEARSON
c The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (July 4) - A gunman opened fire Thursday at Israel's El Al airlines ticket counter at Los Angeles International Airport, killing two people before an airline security guard shot him dead, authorities said.

Mayor James Hahn said there was no immediate indication that shootings were connected to terrorism. ''It appears this was an isolated incident,'' Hahn said.

Three other people were wounded, including an El Al security guard, authorities said. Thousands were evacuated from the international terminal, although the Federal Aviation Administration said all domestic arrivals and departures continued to operate normally.

Byron Tucker, a spokesman for Gov. Gray Davis, said one person was arrested, but FBI spokesman Rich Garcia said it appears the gunman acted alone.

The shootout happened with security on high alert around the country for a possible terrorist attack on July Fourth. It sent passengers ducking behind counters and hiding in airport offices.

Israel's foreign ministry blamed terrorists, but didn't offer any evidence to support the claim.

The 52-year-old gunman had approached another person at the counter and opened fire shortly before noon, said Alex Baez, a police spokesman. There was no immediate indication of his identity, nationality or motive.

An El Al security guard fatally shot the gunman, police said.

Also killed were a 46-year-old man and a woman in her 20s, authorities said. In addition, a 61-year-old woman was shot in the ankle, a 40-year-old man was knifed and a man in his 20s was treated for injuries from a pistol whipping, authorities said. Asked about reports of the stab wounds, Garcia said, ''there are various weapons that we're looking at.''

Two other people underwent treatment for heart problems, fire officials said.

The governor praised the airline's response, saying security agents acted quickly and prevented a greater loss of life.

''Like all Californians, I am outraged and deeply saddened to learn of today's shooting at Los Angeles International Airport,'' Davis said in a statement. ''That it happened on the day on which we honor what America stands for - liberty, security and diversity - makes this particularly more tragic.''

''My heart, as well of those of all Californians, aches for the victims of this shooting and their families,'' he said.

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#3]
On fox news they are determined for it not to be a terrorist attack. well how come the FBI rocket scientist cant figure out were the man is from, what his name is, or anything about him. Very strange they cant come up with any info At least not any there going to tell us. Number one I bet the airlines don't want to take another big hit like they did for several weeks after 9-11. And as for the anti gun freak mayor in LA, I hope his wife gives him a big does of the clap for his birthday. Breath, Focus, Squeeze, make that one an X.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
On fox news they are determined for it not to be a terrorist attack. well how come the FBI rocket scientist cant figure out were the man is from, what his name is, or anything about him. Very strange they cant come up with any info At least not any there going to tell us. Number one I bet the airlines don't want to take another big hit like they did for several weeks after 9-11. And as for the anti gun freak mayor in LA, I hope his wife gives him a big does of the clap for his birthday. Breath, Focus, Squeeze, make that one an X.
View Quote

No its not a suprise they don't know who the guy is yet. Any ID on him could be fake. They have to run his prints. And if he was never convicted of anything in the US before then it takes longer to run the prints.

What IS bad is they are saying it isn't terror when they DON'T know who he is and what his associations are. They are lying- probably to preserve the holiday weekend travel dollars...
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Well whoever the hell he is, surely he wasn't planning on flying today.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No its not a suprise they don't know who the guy is yet. [red]Any ID on him could be fake. They have to run his prints[/red].
View Quote

Yep.

Now WHERE are all the dimwits on this forum who were saying that fingerprinting won't help anything in fighting terrorism???

Quoted:
And if he was never convicted of anything in the US before then it takes longer to run the prints.
View Quote

NOT IF HE WAS A NON-CITIZEN MUSLIM WHO WAS FINGERPRINTED UPON ENTRY TO THIS COUNTRY!

But as some fools on this forum have said before, knowing the identity of a terrorist is useless in fighting terrorism [rolleyes]

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Well CNN.com has changed its article:
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/07/04/la.airport.shooting/index.html[/url]

And they have this interesting tidbit.

Zvi Vapni, the Israeli deputy consul general in Los Angeles, said El Al's chief security officer, Haim Saphir, encountered the gunman running toward the El Al counter with a gun and a knife and ran to stop him. The gunman stabbed Saphir in the back, and Saphir then fatally shot the gunman.

Police said the gunman was a 52-year-old man, but they did not release further details. Law enforcement sources said at least one person had been taken into custody for questioning by police and was expected to be turned over to the FBI, which is leading the investigation.

Eyewitnesses told authorities they had seen the man with the gunman earlier in the day, but the circumstances of that encounter were unclear, the sources told CNN.

View Quote

Interesting, no?
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#8]
there
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yep.

Now WHERE are all the dimwits on this forum who were saying that fingerprinting won't help anything in fighting terrorism???

Quoted:
And if he was never convicted of anything in the US before then it takes longer to run the prints.
View Quote

NOT IF HE WAS A NON-CITIZEN MUSLIM WHO WAS FINGERPRINTED UPON ENTRY TO THIS COUNTRY!

But as some fools on this forum have said before, knowing the identity of a terrorist is useless in fighting terrorism [rolleyes]

View Quote

And knowing the identity of a dead man will stop him how? And will stop others how? I am not being a smartass here Mac. I am just being logical. Showing your ID at the gate stops terrorism just as much as fingerprinting foreigners or making me give my personal data before buying a weapon or a car. It is whistling past the graveyard and impotent BS.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And knowing the identity of a dead man will stop him how?
View Quote
It won't stop him now - he's dead silly.

Quoted:
And will stop others how?
View Quote

I ain't revisiting this all over again.

Bottom-line:
Fingerprints are just ONE investigative tool.

If you don't know how they can be used to help track known terrorists or solve certain crimes, I'm sorry, but explaining that which is self-evident is an exercise in futility.

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

What's that........ a gun actually saved the day!?  Wait till the Libs find out...... oh wait, they'll just brush it off......
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's that........ a gun actually saved the day!?  Wait till the Libs find out...... oh wait, they'll just brush it off......
View Quote

And seem to be doing so
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#15]
The Park in San Dimas is called Puddingstone lake, Frank G.Bonelli Park.    Raging Waters used to be Puddingstone pool,  it is next to the Lake
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Park in San Dimas is called Puddingstone lake, Raging Waters used to be Puddingstone pool,  it is next to the Lake
View Quote

Isn't San Dimas where Bill and Ted hung out?
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#17]
So does LAX refer to the security at the airport?
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Park in San Dimas is called Puddingstone lake, Raging Waters used to be Puddingstone pool,  it is next to the Lake
View Quote

Isn't San Dimas where Bill and Ted hung out?
View Quote

Yeah
The park has been called Bonelli Park for quite a while now.  Originally it was Called Puddingstone park.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
it has started already..

dont know his name but his was /is part of the prees confrence;:

"There are far to many guns walking around in america... you all know how I feel about this.."
View Quote

That was James K. Hahn, mayor of LA.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
View Quote

Yup, a man whom in his commercials which basically said he's proud to have sued gun manufacturers...sad part is he is/was probably a better choice than that alternative Villagrosa...

Not like I had a choice, live in Orange County.  Just got so sick of the commercials...
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Israel is an ally...China is a communist nation that is not. Do you understand that?
View Quote

Speaking of which, how we should all appreciate our "great ally" the State of Israel selling US weapons to Communist China! Do you understand [b]THAT[/b]?
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Latest from Agent neighbor... FBI WASHINGTON has taken over the case from LAPD. This most likely to keep the media out of the picture. Will update with any info I get.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Bill Clinton sold nuke secrets to China...whats your point? My point is El Al is allowed to be armed because they are our friends...I don't care if they selling crack to the PLO...we have very few friends in this world...they are one of them.

China is buying Galil and Jericho's?? So what? Hell they got nuclear bomb tech from us...give me a break.

[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey NAKEDGUN , it wasn't Clinton who sold them for campaign contributions... it was Al Gore. That's why Louie Free Director FBI wanted to try him for treason & Ms Reno refused !
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:44:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Israel is an ally...China is a communist nation that is not. Do you understand that?
View Quote

Speaking of which, how we should all appreciate our "great ally" the State of Israel selling US weapons to Communist China! Do you understand [b]THAT[/b]?
View Quote

Bill Clinton brokered that deal cause he couldn't get Congress to agree to sell them E-2's directly... and he thought nothing of it because Bill Clinton would never of thought of sending US troops to defend Taiwan... he thought that it rightly belonged to the mainland Chinese. So as far as the Isrealis knew we were ok with them selling technology to China.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Bill Clinton sold nuke secrets to China...whats your point? My point is El Al is allowed to be armed because they are our friends...I don't care if they selling crack to the PLO...we have very few friends in this world...they are one of them.

China is buying Galil and Jericho's?? So what? Hell they got nuclear bomb tech from us...give me a break.

View Quote

Not anymore they arent. We told them to stop, they stopped. And if they were indignant about it its because we were the ones that started the deal in the first place... and since China provides missiles to people like Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, and Sudan the Isrealies were running a big risk of being shot at by the very technology that was being passed on. They would have not sold their secrets to a known supplier of weapons to Arabs unless we not only asked them to BUT PROMISED THEM SOMETHING BETTER IN RETURN.

All arrows point back here
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Well Gentlemen , now it turns out that the perp was a Raghead. What else would it be at the El AL ticket counter? BASTARDS ! We should celebrate the 4th of July with a BIG fireworks , say 250 megatons on Mecca. Fuck those bastards!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:45:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Calling this a terrorist attack is premature.

Kind of an alarmist headline, don't you think?
View Quote
Well, duh, he was Egyptian and was upset about neighbors ,gasp, flying the American flag, but NOOOOOOOOO, he wasn't a terrorist.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:57:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Not anymore they arent. We told them to stop, they stopped. And if they were indignant about it its because we were the ones that started the deal in the first place... and since China provides missiles to people like Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, and Sudan the Isrealies were running a big risk of being shot at by the very technology that was being passed on. They would have not sold their secrets to a known supplier of weapons to Arabs unless we not only asked them to BUT PROMISED THEM SOMETHING BETTER IN RETURN.

View Quote
Y'all are missing the point.  The Israel haters will bring up any BS to justify their hatred.  They apparently feel that this attack is okay and is not a terrorist attack just as they feel that the suicide attacks in Israel are justified because it's the poor, oppressed Palestinians just fighting for their freedom.  Those aren't terrorist attacks either, see.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:26:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote
Y'all are missing the point.  The Israel haters will bring up any BS to justify their hatred.  They apparently feel that this attack is okay and is not a terrorist attack just as they feel that the suicide attacks in Israel are justified because it's the poor, oppressed Palestinians just fighting for their freedom.  Those aren't terrorist attacks either, see.
View Quote

Pals are poor: it's true!!!

Arafat and his dumba*ses company are eating all the money...
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:00:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What's that........ a gun actually saved the day!? Wait till the Libs find out...... oh wait, they'll just brush it off......

And seem to be doing so

I said it before, here it is again.

Im sure you all heard the mayor's brilliant comment that there are just too many guns out there. Im sure you all agree RIGHT! I wrote already and reminded him that LAX is a perfect place for an attack like this. One of the most unarmed cities in the US, in a building that wont allow armed citizens....its like shooting fish in a barrel. Until the El Al cats ding ya'that is. This knucklehead had a knife he was planning to use too, so hide your pocket knives folks, the mayor and his cronies will be knocking on your door for those too. "Knock, knock, knock....It's the LAPD....you got anything sharp in there. Come on out peacefully so one of our fed snipers can shoot you in the face (and get away with it)"
Here's the mayor's email adress if you want to drop him a line.
[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:15:59 AM EDT
[#32]
[url]www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,56978,00.html[/url]
Egyptian Hesham Mohamed Hadayet, 41, listed July 4 as his birthday on one of two driver's licenses. He was shot dead by an El Al guard after spraying gunfire....

Neighbors said he was quiet but became incensed when an upstairs neighbor hung large [red]American and Marine Corps flags[/red] from a balcony above his front door after Sept. 11. The flags remained there Thursday night....
View Quote

Too Goddamned bad, Mohamed.

Oh, and those 72 virgins? I f#cked 'em...

[url]www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,56996,00.html[/url]
Hadayet, an Egyptian who also went by the last name Ali, came to the United States 10 years ago.
View Quote

WTF is an Egyptian doing here for ten years running a limo company? It's not like we're so short of limo drivers in America that we have to give long-term visas to scum like this to keep enough Lincoln Town Cars on the road, is it?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Jarhead... you're my hero ! You couldn,t have said it better .
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Some interesting articles on El Al security.

[url]http://www.forbes.com/2001/11/01/1101boeing.html[/url]

[url]http://www.iansa.org/news/2001/sep_01/model_at.htm[/url]

[url]http://coralsprings.com/article1/airport_security.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.israelinsider.com/channels/security/articles/sec_0108.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My point is El Al is allowed to be armed because they are our friends...I don't care if they selling crack to the PLO...we have very few friends in this world...they are one of them.
View Quote

El AI's security personnel acted in their own and the public's self defense however I don't know about you but I take offense that foreigners are legally able to be armed in an airport yet I, an American citizen, would be arrested if I walked into an airport carrying a firearm?

Quoted:
Bill Clinton brokered that deal cause he couldn't get Congress to agree to sell them E-2's directly... and he thought nothing of it because Bill Clinton would never of thought of sending US troops to defend Taiwan... he thought that it rightly belonged to the mainland Chinese. So as far as the Isrealis knew we were ok with them selling technology to China.
View Quote

Except that they were selling technology to the Chinese long before that and they still are. Where do you think they got the Hawk systems? I'll bet they have a battery of Patriots by now.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Just talked to FBI neighbor. They think this guy was just a local wack job. Not suspected to be part of a sleeper cell. But investigation is still ongoing.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Except that they were selling technology to the Chinese long before that and they still are. Where do you think they got the Hawk systems? I'll bet they have a battery of Patriots by now.
View Quote

No sorry, they don't have either one. PRC buys SA-10,11,12, and 15 from Russia. Hawks and Patriot are not only redundant but superior. They would not be buying the Russian weapons if they could get or copy ours. They have several indiginous missile designs as well, a couple of which are said to be quite good, but apparently they have some kind of production difficulty as they continue to buy from the Russians.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just talked to FBI neighbor. They think this guy was just a local wack job. Not suspected to be part of a sleeper cell. But investigation is still ongoing.
View Quote
OH, this local wack job sent his family home to Egypt two weeks ago, has expressed his hatred for his neighbor flying the American flag, and just happened to wind up at the El Al counter with handguns.  SURE!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

This binary thinking has me troubled.
According to the FBI he is either a nutcase or he is part of a international organization.

I don't think its either one.

He is a volunteer. He wasn't a plant, he really was here working as a limo driver, trying to get citizenship. But since he has been here relationships between the US and the Islamic world have gotten worse, he took the Islamic position.

The question is did he reach out to anyone to offer his services? Or did he just act on his own, modeling his actions after his heros overseas? Did he have a agreement to finance his family in the future, or was he just trusting to the media coverage of the event to bring him to the attention of terrorist financiers?
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:24:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My point is El Al is allowed to be armed because they are our friends...I don't care if they selling crack to the PLO...we have very few friends in this world...they are one of them.
View Quote

El AI's security personnel acted in their own and the public's self defense however I don't know about you but I take offense that foreigners are legally able to be armed in an airport yet I, an American citizen, would be arrested if I walked into an airport carrying a firearm?
View Quote

In your state maybe.  In Texas, CHL holders are able to carry inside the unsecured area of the airport unless they have a sign as specified in the Texas Penal Code section 30.06 that says handguns are prohibited in the proper way and in the proper contrasting text.

Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:26:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
OH, this local wack job sent his family home to Egypt two weeks ago, has expressed his hatred for his neighbor flying the American flag, and just happened to wind up at the El Al counter with handguns.  SURE!
View Quote

I heard today that in order to get to that terminal you have to pass several other larger domestic terminals.  If that's true, and I'd love for someone who knows LAX to confirm, then he certainly didn't just happen to go nuts at the El Al terminal because it was convenient.

Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:29:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This binary thinking has me troubled.
According to the FBI he is either a nutcase or he is part of a international organization.

I don't think its either one.

He is a volunteer. He wasn't a plant, he really was here working as a limo driver, trying to get citizenship. But since he has been here relationships between the US and the Islamic world have gotten worse, he took the Islamic position.

The question is did he reach out to anyone to offer his services? Or did he just act on his own, modeling his actions after his heros overseas? Did he have a agreement to finance his family in the future, or was he just trusting to the media coverage of the event to bring him to the attention of terrorist financiers?
View Quote

ArmdLbrl, that's my thinking on it exactly.  I don't think he was a whack job, nor do I think he was part of a larger organization.  I think he was acting out the call by Hamas to strike at Israeli and US targets worldwide that came out on June 2 or just had taken a similar stance.  By striking at the El Al terminal at LAX, he effectively struck both.  As I said, thank God this guy didn't have a bomb strapped to him.  If he had the know how or the connections, his actions would have been much more detrimental and casualties much higher.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#44]
OK here's latest update from FBI neighbor... He says they HAVE NOT AS OF NOW found any links to any group or groups. He WAS an person who was upset with America post 11 Sept. He was having a problem with his and his family's lives in LA. That's why he moved them back outside the USA (not a bad move if you ask me). But he evidently a of hater Jews. That's why he walked past 150 yards of counters before he got to El Al at the very end , opened up & finally met Allah.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I heard today that in order to get to that terminal you have to pass several other larger domestic terminals.  If that's true, and I'd love for someone who knows LAX to confirm, then he certainly didn't just happen to go nuts at the El Al terminal because it was convenient.

View Quote

To get to the international terminal at LAX, you have to go past four or five other terminals, all with a host of domestic carriers.

Basically, LAX is shaped like a big U, with the international terminal in the middle of the curved part. The road through it is one-way. He had to drive past a bunch of other terminals and airlines before he got to El Al.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

To get to the international terminal at LAX, you have to go past four or five other terminals, all with a host of domestic carriers.

Basically, LAX is shaped like a big U, with the international terminal in the middle of the curved part. The road through it is one-way. He had to drive past a bunch of other terminals and airlines before he got to El Al.
View Quote

Jarhead is correct.  I live in Los Angeles and have been there many times.  In fact, I'm going to the crime scene on monday.  Gotta drop off  couple coworkers for trip to Asia.  They must be shittin their pants now.  Here is the map of the LAX for you.

[url]http://www.lawa.org/lax/htmlmaps/termaponly.html[/url] International terminal building is the one thats located between terminal 3 and terminal 4.  Its on the left end of that map.  Just move your mouse pointer over it and it should read "Tom Bradley Intl Terminal."  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top