Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2002 12:22:44 AM EDT
Was wondering what ya'll think of this.

I work for a national hotel name that is a full-service hotel, i.e. it ain't a Motel 6. >gg<

The owners poicy is no firearms on company grounds. Needless to say I leave my H&K in my Jeep. Security for third shift, 11pm to 7am, is handled by a contracted firm. Occasionally one of their goobers shows up toting a Ruger on his hip.

I'm not saying anything to him, it's not my place to do so. I question this guys level of training & competence. He's NOT an off-duty cop, he's strictly a rent-a-cop. I don't know if he's ex-military or not.

My questions is: A)is this guy a mall ninja?
                B)should I tell my boss he's packing a less than desirable brand of firearm?

On one hand I don't want to give grief to someone carrying. OTOH, why should HE get to carry on company property & I can't stash mine in my locker? I'd match my training & competence against his anytime.

Thoughts everyone?
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 12:28:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably because if he gets in trouble with the gun, your company is shielded from liability? Just a guess. And he's probably bonded.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 12:30:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Mall Ninjas are masters of illusion and misdirection. I would not doubt that the gun you see him with is just a decoy and he is carrying many other weapons on his person.

No amount of training can be defend against the Mall Ninja when he throws down the flash/smoke bombs.

Ask to see his challenge coin then fear him.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]
But it just irks the hell out of me that this mall ninja thinks he can carry on MY company's property & theoretically I can't even have one in my Jeep.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#4]
A good Mall Ninja already knows about the gun in your Jeep.  Turning him in will get you turned in.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont think he's a mall ninja.  Wait until he asks your company to buy him a full auto G-36 and nightvision before labelling him a Mall Ninja.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

...Occasionally one of their goobers shows up toting a Ruger on his hip.

View Quote

[url]http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ayoob62.html[/url]

Cheap guns are good enough

By Massad Ayoob
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#8]
A person is either a good shot or a bad shot. Having an expensive gun vs having a cheaper gun isn't gonna make much difference. I see people shooting all the time that think they need to buy a more expensive gun because they can't shoot with what they have. They really need to practice on their shooting skills. I've a Ruger and a Glock. I enjoy shooting them both. My brother has an HK and its fun to shoot also but in my opinion a person must practice, practice, practice.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Why is a Ruger a less than desirable gun?

Are you from the crowd that if it only is $500 and up it is worth defending my life?

Tactics and training determine the effectiveness of the shooter not the gun.

Maybe you are the mall ninja and are just jealous this guy has a job were he can carry a gun.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Well Rugers are less desireable because Bill Ruger and his whelps are TRATORS, who want the federal government to put all their competition out of buisness via gun control...

But as to the quality of what they make I havent heard anything bad..
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Why not carry your HK anyway? Are you gonna let some bullshit unconstitutional, touchy feely, it's for the children "policy" cost you your life?

And, yes, I do know of what you speak. Several years ago, I worked for one of the Clarion family of hotels. Same policy there, too. I carried every single day, on my person, a USP45 and nobody ever knew but me and God.

"Democracy is more dangerous than fire. Fire can't vote itself immune to water."  — Michael Z. Williamson
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Occasionally one of their goobers shows up toting a Ruger on his hip.
View Quote
Hmmm, I take it none of the other security guys carry Rugers? So it's not a gun that the security firm issue to their officers?

There's a security firm around my parts that used to require their officers to carry Dan Wesson revolvers. Now, I own a Dan Wesson myself, but I would never use it as a carry gun as it requires two hands to open the cylinder (okay it can be done one-handed, but it's VERY awkward and not very quick.)

I'm sure there are plenty of police officers on this board who at one point, or currently, carry a handgun which, if given the choice, they would trade for something else in a heartbeat.

Though I know there are plenty of wannabe cops/SpecOps that work as rent-a-cops,you can't fault someone for chosing a (in your eyes) less desireable occupation and sidearm. Now, if you catch him practicing his quickdraw in the men's room, I'll chime in in the protest. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#13]
[b]Cheap guns are good enough

By Massad Ayoob [/b]

Massad isaBOOB Ayoob, Is he still on that 3 man police department? If BS were music, he would be a bandleader.

Bill
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My thoughts are that you are a potential narc and appear to be a gun snob.
View Quote

Guilty on the second charge. >gg<
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why not carry your HK anyway? Are you gonna let some bullshit unconstitutional, touchy feely, it's for the children "policy" cost you your life?
View Quote

Had I a "regular" job I might. But I work as an engineer & I'm crawling under & over stuff throughout the shift. Also I have a lot of guest contact.

What chaps me is he thinks he can carry & **I** can't (legally via policy).
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hmmm, I take it none of the other security guys carry Rugers? So it's not a gun that the security firm issue to their officers?
View Quote

No. NONE of the other security guys are allowed to carry, hotel employees or contracted service people. This one guy is the only one who seemingly flaunts violating the owners policy. He just dials it up by doing so with a Ruger, IMO.  >gg<
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I work for a national hotel name that is a full-service hotel, i.e. it ain't a Motel 6. >gg<

The owners poicy is no firearms on company grounds. Needless to say I leave my H&K in my Jeep. Security for third shift, 11pm to 7am, is handled by a contracted firm. Occasionally one of their goobers shows up toting a Ruger on his hip.

I'm not saying anything to him, it's not my place to do so. I question this guys level of training & competence. He's NOT an off-duty cop, he's strictly a rent-a-cop. I don't know if he's ex-military or not.

On one hand I don't want to give grief to someone carrying. OTOH, why should HE get to carry on company property & I can't stash mine in my locker? I'd match my training & competence against his anytime.

Thoughts everyone?
View Quote

So what you're asking is basically, "Should I be  a rat and snitch on a fellow gun-owner because of some liberal bullshit company policy?"
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No. NONE of the other security guys are allowed to carry, hotel employees or contracted service people. This one guy is the only one who seemingly flaunts violating the owners policy. He just dials it up by doing so with a Ruger, IMO.  >gg<
View Quote

what makes you think you're the only one who notices?  not flaming, wondering.  are the rest of the people in your hotel dummies?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thoughts everyone?
View Quote

It could be the security company that your boss contracted with authorizes their personnel to carry firearm. The reason some might not is because they have not completed their firearms portion of their training.

If the company authorizes personnel to carry guns, it would have been written in the contract. Your boss would have agreed to this when he signed the contract.

If you doubt this call the company and check if their personnel are aloud to carry guns while on duty.

Do you work in a less than desirable section of town, is so what is your problem with him carrying and protecting himself and everyone else on the property.

It sounds more like a case of gun envy. Instead of saying your better than him, why don't you talk with him and invite him to shoots. Leave his carrying a gun alone.

It is attitudes like this that create wedges between gun owners. Instead of banding together and fighting gun control, those of us who can afford the "higher" quality guns, I.E. SIgs, glocks, S/A's, Kimbers, AR's Etc. alienate those who can't.

I carry a 1911, am I better than the one who carries a glock or SIG, no, I carry what I am comfortable with, as do the others.

As far as this guy owning a Ruger. It could be his first gun and he did not know what ruger did to the 2nd amendment. Further, you cannot rely on guns stores to pass on this information as they have guns to sell.

Just because somone owns a gun, does not mean they fully support the second amendment. I used to question why anyone would need to own an AR. In fact until I was enlightend I saw nothing wrong with the 94 ban. It was because of a patient and understanding gun owner who took the time to explain reality to me that I have changed my ways. Yes I now fully support the second amendment and oppose any gun control. Having said that, it took to long to change my thoughts and it was to late at the time.

Use this situation as an oppurtunity to educate and recruit more people to the pro firearms side. Your getting pissy with the "rent a cop" will do more damage than good.

Eagle1911
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not carry your HK anyway?
View Quote

Had I a "regular" job I might. But I work as an engineer & I'm crawling under & over stuff throughout the shift. Also I have a lot of guest contact.
View Quote

Huh. The job I held at said hotel was desk clerk. Can't imagine having more guest contact than that, yet as mentioned previously, I carried every day, and only God and myself knew that.

As to the other point, I also cable schools (Cat 5/5e, Fiber, etc) and that requires being in overheads, ceilings, under the schools, and all manner of crawling, climbing and bending. And last time I checked it's a felony to have firearms on school grounds. And horror of horrors, I carried every day, and continue to in that job as well.

Different strokes, I guess.

Supreme Court decision: 1803, Marbury vs. Madison, "any act of the legislature, repugnant to the Constitution, is void".   ~ Supreme Court Chief Justice Marshall
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top