Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2002 11:49:50 AM EDT
because it wheres down the resistance on the spring.  what is your take on this?  should i take his advise and leave the mags emty untill i am ready to shoot, or leave then hafe full, or all the way full?   what to do what to do!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#2]
sorry, but ole dad is wrong here.

springs wear out because the metal fatigues from being worked.

the metal is worked by compressing and uncompressing the spring repeatedly.  this is what will wear out a spring - using it.

load them up or leave them alone.  they will not be harmed or wear out by leaving them full.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Maybe if your dad hung out here on this site and
came to our shootouts he would know this.
Just a thought.
View Quote

he has 2 companies to run.  its hard for him to find time to be on AR15.com  thats why i have to wait untill i am 18 to go to the  meets.  so i can over rule his rules, and so he doesnt have to go.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#6]
magazine rotation will wear out your mags faster because you are using the springs more often.  bad thing.

magazine rotation in the bathroom is a good thing so you won't get bored in there.  heh.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#8]
He may have had a bad experience with a mag from a different type of firearm. Most mags should work fine. I think it was in the mag facts file here where I read that someone found a Vietnam era M16 mag 30 years later fully loaded & it still functioned flawlessly.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Last month I received 10 M14 magazines from a friend. (free [:)])  Some were rusty and pretty crappy looking.  4 were fully loaded with tracers and blanks.  I took the magazines apart to clean with steel wool and maybe refinish and I noticed something.  The springs from the fully loaded mags were about 3-4" shorter than the springs for the unloaded mags.  

What do you all say about that?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Last month I received 10 M14 magazines from a friend. (free [:)])  Some were rusty and pretty crappy looking.  4 were fully loaded with tracers and blanks.  I took the magazines apart to clean with steel wool and maybe refinish and I noticed something.  The springs from the fully loaded mags were about 3-4" shorter than the springs for the unloaded mags.  

View Quote

I'll handle this:

[size=6]BLASPHEMY[/size=6]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Keeping any spring in compressed or over-extended form will eventually disform the spring.

Rotating mags every 2 wks or every month would only simulate using them once or twice a month.

I don't claim to be a 'pro' but I feel better rotating 'em occasionally, and usually don't load them to full.  I have all hi-cap mags and load to 13 (12 on the 14.45) just because I want them to last as long as possible.

tinfoil hat and asbestos suit on...
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#12]
It doesn't hurt the springs to keep the mags loaded. This is a well-known part of materials science, and the idea that it does hurt the springs is an urban legend.

Spring compression is well within the elastic region of the stress-strain curve for metal springs.

The worst that can happen is that the springs or cartridges could corrode or get dirty while loaded, which would hurt feeding.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Dad feeds ya.  We don't.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

all springs take an initial set when used.

all of this info about springs can be verified/confirmed in materials science books in your local library.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:58:59 PM EDT
[#15]
At one time a gun/mag mfgr wrote a small article about this in (I think) Am Handgunner. They claimed to have done extensive testing, yadda yadda yadda. Upshot was they said to load 'em up. They claimed it took 2-3 years for a fully loaded mag that was never used nor emptied to be affected by "spring set", IIRC.

I have yet to have had any problems with any of my older mags. One thing I do is down load them one rd if it's a long term storage.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 12:12:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I heard the best comparison was: Do car suspension springs (which are always compressed) wear out faster by sitting still or when subjected to driving?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top