Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2002 9:43:47 AM EDT
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/710254/posts[/url]
On June 25, the Arab-American community should have learned a valuable political lesson--talk softly and carry a big stick.  For
months, almost all the leading Arab-American organizations, from the more respectable (only by comparison) Arab-American
Institute (AAI) to the virulently anti-Israel American Muslim Council (AMC), and the Council on American-Islamic Relations
(CAIR), loudly trumpeted their support for Earl Hilliard, a black Democratic Representative for Alabama.  Numerous fundraising
gatherings were announced, with Arab Americans exhorted to contribute.  By comparison, Jewish organizations and
groupsÑobviously more sensitive to federal prohibitions against overt politicking and fundraising by educational and charitable
organizationsÑremained mum.  But individual members spoke instead with their checkbooks, by supporting HilliardÕs primary
opponentÑArtur Davis, a Harvard-educated attorney, who is also an African-American.  Despite DavisÕ superior qualifications and
the experience he gained in losing to Hilliard in a previous under-funded campaign, DavisÕ impressive 56-44% win still must be
considered something of an upset. It obviously must have shocked the Israel-bashers at the CAIR, who, with straight faces given their
own considerable efforts on behalf of the loser, angrily charged, in their release-Òthe pro-Israel lobby buys Alabama seat.Ó  And the
AAIÕs indefatigable James ZogbyÑafter previously declaring that this was one race the Arab-American community had to winÑreversed himself, claiming,
ÒThis is not a test of our clout versus their clout.Ó  But this was a contest where there was a clear-cut distinction between the candidatesÕ position on the
Middle East.  And in this one, the good guys won.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I would think nowadays having even moderate muslims backing you would really hurt you ion the polls if the public found out.  Looks like I was right

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Kinda reminds me of when Nixon was running against Kennedy. Khrushchev(with tongue in cheek)held up campaign buttons of both parties and asked if either would like him to wear theirs!
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm just glad Hilliard is gone from our state. Good riddance!
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm just glad Hilliard is gone from our state. Good riddance!
View Quote

He'll announce he is running for election in New York next week.   Hillery and Hilliard, hum there is something there :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top