Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2002 7:14:12 PM EDT
What the hell is it about post-graduate studies that turns people into founts of jackassery?

I am thinking about your being overly concerned about the civil rights of terrorists who plot to murder us, and of terrific little tidbits like this:

[b]Pledge for the workers
My daughter, who is 11, and I were delighted at the California court decision omitting the words "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance. She and I have always been uncomfortable saying the pledge, not only because of the religious imposition, but because it seems very strange to pledge loyalty to a scrap of cloth representing a corrupt nation that imposes its will, both economic and military, around the world by force. So she inspired me to rewrite the Pledge.
Imagine schoolchildren every day reciting the following:

I pledge allegiance to all the ordinary people around the world, to the laid off Enron workers and the WorldCom workers the maquiladora workers and the sweatshop workers from New York to Indonesia, who labor not under God but under the heel of multinational corporations; I pledge allegiance to the people of Iraq, Palestine and Afghanistan, and to their struggles to survive and resist slavery to corporate greed, brutal wars against their families, and the economic and environmental ruin wrought by global capitalism; I pledge allegiance to building a better world where human needs are met and with real liberty, equality and justice for all. The original pledge does not include or represent us godless radicals. The backlash against the California decision shows just how thin our democracy is.[/b]

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2002/07/01/3d201c20b81d0
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank God I don't have to be a Ph.D to know what a jerk is.

SSD
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#3]
PHD
Piled Higher & Deeper
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, there are a lot of morons with PhDs...I should know I work with them every day.  But I have a shooting buddy who has a PhD, and my pro-gun wife has a PhD too.  Keep in mind that the bigger morons are usually in the schools of Education and Humanities.  But you still see them even in engineering and physical sciences, just less often.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The original pledge does not include or represent [red]us godless radicals[/red].
View Quote

Neither did the original Constitutional Convention (thank God) nor the Continental Army under General Washington (you'd have been shot immediately for treason).

But don't worry, there's plenty of people who share your godless angst for the workers of the world:
[img]http://www.unh.edu/asian-studies/images/mao.jpg[/img][img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1530000/images/_1533904_ap_castro150.jpg[/img]

Quoted:
The backlash against the California decision shows just how thin our democracy is.
View Quote

Damn Straight!!
Who the f@ck wants to live in a "democracy"???
democracy, aka "Tyranny of the Majority".

What a pompous, brainless, overeducated, ungrateful, navel-lint-picking, spoiled, nacissistic, dim-witted, self-destructive, irrational, egocentric, phoney, feces-filled human-skin-bag with eyes!!

My GOD and it's a breeder too! [puke]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#6]
As a general rule, the more time you spend in school, the more liberal and insular you become -- two qualities that don't fare well in the real world.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 4:09:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm, the longer I stayed in school, the more cynical I became.  Good prep for the real world, methinks.

Anyhoo, the world is not in short supply of jackasses.  Some of them having PhDs just give the media incentive to quote them.

Many PhDs are shooters - I know, I is one.  

DrMark
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hmmm, the longer I stayed in school, the more cynical I became.  Good prep for the real world, methinks.

Anyhoo, the world is not in short supply of jackasses.  Some of them having PhDs just give the media incentive to quote them.

Many PhDs are shooters - I know, I is one.  

DrMark
View Quote

I'm with DrMark on this one.

I graduated High School in 1979, did a few years in the Navy and have worked full time ever since.

I've seriously started working toward earning a college degree.  Every semester I get more and more jaded and cynical.

The genetic drift that parents send to school is apalling.  How the hell do kids escape high school without the ability to write a simple declarative sentence?

The one bright side is that most of the professors I have encountered have been open to differing political and sociological views, provided they are reasonably presented.

Deep down I think that many understand the liberal drivel for what it is, but need to "go along to get along".
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:20:17 AM EDT
[#9]
An Honest Days Work For An Honest Days Wages
The social contract that works when both the worker and employer are
[i]Honest[/i]
Honesty comes from the heart..and its God himself that puts these notions into us..when man replaces God with humanism or secular morality and when the church itself is infected with giving glory to man..the system breaks down.
GW Bush himself in commenting on the appelate courts decision on the illegitimacy of "One Nation Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance stated
"That all of our rights come from God" unquote...
The President of the United States declared that all rights come from God..
That was an amazing thing...unprecedented in our century to my knowledge. Of course on the other hand its only '02
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:22:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What a pompous, brainless, overeducated, ungrateful, navel-lint-picking, spoiled, nacissistic, dim-witted, self-destructive, irrational, egocentric, phoney, feces-filled human-skin-bag with eyes!!

My GOD and it's a breeder too! [puke]
View Quote

Yep. That just about sums up my opinion...
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:09:19 AM EDT
[#11]
That person doesn't seem to see the difference between loving one's country and loving one's government.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top