Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2012 6:46:04 PM EDT
I used to bowl pretty serious when I was young, stopped going for a long time but I recently got back into a league with some friends (and fellow shooters) and I'm really having fun...made me wonder why I gave it up.

What kind of struck me this time around was how similar it is to shooting mentally - focus, aim, muscle memory and form, and consistency. They sort of feed off one another, and I'm having an easier time applying my shooting discipline to the game than before I was a competitive shooter.

Oh, and I love all sports that involve drinking beer, and a guaranteed show of women's asses bending over on every frame. Hanging out with your shooting buddies isn't bad either.

Surely I'm not the only ARFcommer with 16lb balls?

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Used to long time ago. Got away from it, not time.....

BTW Swingset, how's the Pooch??
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, haven't tried it since tearing my rotator cuff though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Good, he's getting his sutures out tomorrow...ear is all healed up and looks fairly normal.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I used to bowl pretty serious when I was young, stopped going for a long time but I recently got back into a league with some friends (and fellow shooters) and I'm really having fun...made me wonder why I gave it up.

What kind of struck me this time around was how similar it is to shooting mentally - focus, aim, muscle memory and form, and consistency. They sort of feed off one another, and I'm having an easier time applying my shooting discipline to the game than before I was a competitive shooter.

Oh, and I love all sports that involve drinking beer, and a guaranteed show of women's asses bending over on every frame. Hanging out with your shooting buddies isn't bad either.

Surely I'm not the only ARFcommer with 16lb balls?

http://www.profilebrand.com/funny-pictures/category/sports/226_jesus-cleaning-bowling-ball.gif

I love to bowl, me and some friends usually try to go every Thursday night

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I bowled a 171 last month. Best game of my life. I love bowling, just don't get to do it often.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
meh, its ok.

i do like drinking beer, eating nachos and fried mushrooms however. bowling is the side benefit i suppose.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yes, haven't tried it since tearing my rotator cuff though.

I tore mine about 5 years ago, but I didn't attempt bowling until it was healed well and I got into shape again (been doing P90X). I don't muscle the ball at all, like some people do so it's not a huge issue but repetitive movements can do their damage.

My wife loves to watch the fellow bowlers and some of the crazy/god-awful deliveries, she's always wondering when someone's gonna throw their back or shoulders out with the exaggerated shit people do to put some juice on the ball.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good, he's getting his sutures out tomorrow...ear is all healed up and looks fairly normal.

Excellant!!

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm about to smoke one now...
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#10]
i'm in a weekly league on a team with my mom.. mixed league with the top average around 220. I'm sitting at a 184. best game i've shot was a 278. still haven't got a 700 series though
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm about to smoke one now...

Niiiice.

I'm not very good, but I like to bowl. I like to eat greasy bowling alley food and drink beer, too. I haven't been in a long time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to be in two leagues, now I am just down to one a week.  Every Thursday night for 36 weeks.  It really drags on some years.  It is a handicap league, but there is a good mix of good and bad bowlers.  The top average so far this year is a tick over 240.  I'm more than satisfied with my 218 average.  A few years ago I was averaging closer to 230 and it was a pain when you had the give the pins away to a team that beats you scratch.  The team I'm on generally doesn't win any of the quarters, but we usually win the most money.  We place a consistent 3rd or 4th or 5th every quarter.  

I bowled for college too, we were ranked fairly well but I didn't really like it.  We had to get up at the crack of dawn on Saturday and drive to the event, bowl 12 games, then everyone got drunk at night.  Sunday was a wash and pretty much which ever team was leading on Saturday won the event.  That was 3 out of 4 weekends a month, it got old quickly.  I'm more than satisfied with bowling once a week.  I already have all the achievements, I have enough 300 games, and a few 800 series, 845 is my highest (268, 277, 300).  I know I will never see a 900, well not thrown by me.  I saw a guy shoot 879 a few years ago, he left a 4 pin in the 7th frame of the third game.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I have two different buddies that I go cosmic bowling with at least 2 Fridays or Saturdays a month with.  Average is probably like 130-150 but I don't really care about that....it's more just getting out and doing something fun and the company you keep.  One of my buddies is a 220'ish average...he always spots me 40-60 pins on some games.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 5:20:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I used to be in two leagues, now I am just down to one a week.  Every Thursday night for 36 weeks.  It really drags on some years.  It is a handicap league, but there is a good mix of good and bad bowlers.  The top average so far this year is a tick over 240.  I'm more than satisfied with my 218 average.  A few years ago I was averaging closer to 230 and it was a pain when you had the give the pins away to a team that beats you scratch.  The team I'm on generally doesn't win any of the quarters, but we usually win the most money.  We place a consistent 3rd or 4th or 5th every quarter.  

I bowled for college too, we were ranked fairly well but I didn't really like it.  We had to get up at the crack of dawn on Saturday and drive to the event, bowl 12 games, then everyone got drunk at night.  Sunday was a wash and pretty much which ever team was leading on Saturday won the event.  That was 3 out of 4 weekends a month, it got old quickly.  I'm more than satisfied with bowling once a week.  I already have all the achievements, I have enough 300 games, and a few 800 series, 845 is my highest (268, 277, 300).  I know I will never see a 900, well not thrown by me.  I saw a guy shoot 879 a few years ago, he left a 4 pin in the 7th frame of the third game.

Sounds like me when I was younger, rolled a lot of leagues and tourneys and burned out a bit - I think I took it a little too serious at the time and when my schedule crimped it I never went back, but now that I'm older it's more relaxing and I'm not as stressed if I can't put up the big numbers (which I can't). Back when I was better, urethanes were the shit and the patterns were shorter and more predictable - much easier game back then. Now even with a reactive I'm seeing how much moving and adapting you have to do and it's a more challenging game for sure unless you're on an easy house shot.

So far the best game I've rolled was a 259, but I've slowed by game down and don't try to crank it anymore. I'm still not solid on picking up spares, and I tend to leave a messy one once and a while so it's killing my average but like I said I just try to have fun and not let a shitty game ruin a night.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 5:59:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Man, I used to love bowling.  I wasn't any GOOD at it (130+-) but, when I
was a youngster in the 70's and early 80's it was a great way to

get to know the girls you picked up cruising on the "gut" on a Friday or
Saturday night. For whatever reason too, bowling always seemed to be

a lot like shooting to me (Or, at least I had almost as much fun doing it).

I've been thinking about taking it up again as a hobby.  We've got a
decent center here in the little town I'm in a a really nice one 30
min's away.

I may just have to head over to one of them this week.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:54:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Man, I used to love bowling.  I wasn't any GOOD at it (130+-) but, when I was a youngster in the 70's and early 80's it was a great way to

get to know the girls you picked up cruising on the "gut" on a Friday or Saturday night. For whatever reason too, bowling always seemed to be

I've been thinking about taking it up again as a hobby.  We've got a decent center here in the little town I'm in a a really nice one 30 min's away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Mls5Rqqhg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ztu1ZYQPi4&feature=endscreen&NR=1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHrf0uBMOho&feature=related

It's making a resurgence with young people, at least around here. Every Saturday night as our leagues wind down they start flocking in for Cosmic bowling. The place is packed by the time we leave. I don't mind watching the college girls in their yoga-pants bowl.

If you're able to roll a hook with a finger-tip ball, you'd be surprised how good you can do now with a reactive ball - they're very forgiving of errant shots on a house pattern. And, equipment is cheap nowadays even the mid-level balls in the $70 range are very good.

Love the videos, btw! In a little town near me, they still have an 8-lane wood bowling alley with over-the-lane returns. They revamped it, but kept the returns and lanes (which is cool as hell), so it's nice in there but very retro. It's hopping on the weekends, too.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I started a couple of years ago and got up to a 190 avg last league. I have almost as many balls now as guns, lol.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm terrible at bowling but it's a lot of fun. I work with a guy who has bowled 17 perfect games!
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Indeed!

My highest game was a 242 and my highest average (at the end of a season) was 189.

I have not bowled for quite some time. The rest of my "team" of almost 15 years started having kids. FAIL! WE kicked some serious ass!

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I average around 210. Bowled a ton as a kid then stopped. started leagues again 5 years ago. We disbanded our team this year because everybody was too busy. I sub sometimes but really dont miss it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, 211 average as of last league, that was about 10 months ago.  I got sick of it, especially the caliber of people that hang at bowling alleys so I quit and haven't bowled since.  I prefer golf now however I am nowhere near as good at it as I was bowling.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I take my kids out every now and then, so no beer for me.

We still have fun while we're out there.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yes, 211 average as of last league, that was about 10 months ago.  I got sick of it, especially the caliber of people that hang at bowling alleys so I quit and haven't bowled since.  I prefer golf now however I am nowhere near as good at it as I was bowling.  

I've found that, like the caliber of shoppers at your local Walmart,
a lot goes into who shows up at the alleys - namely the neighborhood
the alley is in, the shape and price of the lanes, the price of the
drinks (cheap booze = crappy customers), and what time you're bowling.

Our league is mostly couples in their 30's/40's and pretty easy going,
not a lot of riff-raff, but I've certainly bowled along side some real
imbreds.

We have a couple centers in the suburbs of Columbus that are very
upscale, but they're expensive too. I guess our local center is kind of
middle of the road.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I always wanted to bowl like Dennis Lillee.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I always wanted to bowl like Dennis Lillee.

http://youtu.be/KLOxQn7XxD8

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 3:19:34 PM EDT
[#27]
lol...."bowl at my head will ya??..thats a paddlin'!"

But regards to ten-pin bowling...never done it. Though i have seen an alley or two around.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Used to bowl all the time. 170 average.

Back is pretty well shot now , so no bowling for me

Took my youngest and some of her friends bowling for her B-day party, it was hard not to bring my ball !!

Getting a new bed soon, maybe once Im off the waterbed the back will heal up good enough for bowling.

If you want to go full on redneck you have to play in a horseshoe league as well.

The back is still good enough for 'shoes  League starts in April
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

But regards to ten-pin bowling...never done it. Though i have seen an alley or two around.

It's funny how sports go around the world, when I was in England & Germany in the early 90's, bowling was super popular and they were building centers and I was kind of blown away to see a primarily American past time catching on, then I heard that a decade later most of them were out of business or failing. I've always thought that Australia's interests have often mirrored our own blue-collar American trends over the years, just slightly tweaked. Was it ever a really popular past time down there or more of a novelty?

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#30]
No, not since I was 12 or so.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've found that, like the caliber of shoppers at your local Walmart, a lot goes into who shows up at the alleys - namely the neighborhood the alley is in, the shape and price of the lanes, the price of the drinks (cheap booze = crappy customers), and what time you're bowling.

Our league is mostly couples in their 30's/40's and pretty easy going, not a lot of riff-raff, but I've certainly bowled along side some real imbreds.

We have a couple centers in the suburbs of Columbus that are very upscale, but they're expensive too. I guess our local center is kind of middle of the road.

Yeah, I get that.  But towards the end when I started getting burned out I bowled in nothing but competition and scratch leagues.  Pretty much every week a 300 was bowled in that league, sometimes even 2, quite a few 800's a season as well.  Anyway, even the borderline pro/ ex pro bowlers are trashy.  Just couldnt do it anymore.  However I would bowl at a place like this.

http://www.jupiterbowl.com/

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Man, I used to love bowling.  I wasn't any GOOD at it (130+-) but, when I was a youngster in the 70's and early 80's it was a great way to
get to know the girls you picked up cruising on the "gut" on a Friday or Saturday night. For whatever reason too, bowling always seemed to be

I've been thinking about taking it up again as a hobby.  We've got a decent center here in the little town I'm in a a really nice one 30 min's away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ztu1ZYQPi4&feature=endscreen&NR=1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHrf0uBMOho&feature=related

It's making a resurgence with young people, at least around here. Every Saturday night as our leagues wind down they start flocking in for Cosmic bowling. The place is packed by the time we leave. I don't mind watching the college girls in their yoga-pants bowl.

If you're able to roll a hook with a finger-tip ball, you'd be surprised how good you can do now with a reactive ball - they're very forgiving of errant shots on a house pattern. And, equipment is cheap nowadays even the mid-level balls in the $70 range are very good.

Love the videos, btw! In a little town near me, they still have an 8-lane wood bowling alley with over-the-lane returns. They revamped it, but kept the returns and lanes (which is cool as hell), so it's nice in there but very retro. It's hopping on the weekends, too.

I bowled a little in the early 90's and paid a fortune for my Purple Hammer fingertip ball

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I rarely bowl, but I like it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Back in Jr High (53 now) was a very good bowler. Won a lot of tourneys and living the life. Football practice one day landed straight down on my thumb and shattered it. In a cast for 6 weeks. Than surgery to remove the metal pin. Than another surgery to fix the tendons.

Went from a 220 average to 130. Thumb would swell up so big by the third game I couldn't fit it in the ball.

Finally I found a glove that held the ball off the bottom of my thumb. My average climb back into the 200's.

The ball I used was my fathers. It was a real old 16 pounder that he had been using since the late 50's. It was a 4 holer, 3 fingers and one for your thumb. Named "HARVEY" which was engraved in it sometime before my father bought it.

Unfortunately I don't have the ball anymore. A couple of years ago most everything in my house was stolen by members of my family and that was one of the items.

ED
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I have been dating this chick out here who likes to bowl, so I have been probably 15 times in the last month. It is a fun way to pass the time(get drunk) but I rarely break 100
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I only started bowling a few months ago, and was instantly hooked.  I actually bought myself a ball and matching shoes and bag (because what's the point of sucking at something if you don't even look dorky doing it, amirite?).  I REALY suck hard, but it's so much fun (and relatively cheap) that I can't stop.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I bowled a little in the early 90's and paid a fortune for my Purple Hammer fingertip ball

I had a red and a blue hammer, my brother had the purple. I still have the red, it's still a good ball for dry lanes.

They just started making the blue again, and it's really popular. Has a modern weight block but the same coverstock as the old one.

I have an Ebonite Thunderbolt from the late 80's that was so strong it about came back at you, and on today's heavy lanes it barely hooks at all. I took it to the first league night, threw it, and thought "Oh fuck I need a new ball" and bought a couple reactives the next week.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's funny how sports go around the world, when I was in England & Germany in the early 90's, bowling was super popular and they were building centers and I was kind of blown away to see a primarily American past time catching on, then I heard that a decade later most of them were out of business or failing. I've always thought that Australia's interests have often mirrored our own blue-collar American trends over the years, just slightly tweaked. Was it ever a really popular past time down there or more of a novelty?

Novelty. Its never been boom or bust as far as i can tell, just a place to take the kids on a rainy day. That said, i have no doubt there are hardcore adult bowlers around.

Lawn Bowls, on the other hand is massive, has been for a century, (surly its related to its indoor cousin?), and every town has multiple Bowls clubs. (Serve alcohol and food, has pokies - very popular) I dont know if the US has "clubs".

And bugger it, im now gunna take the missus bowling this weekend.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Novelty. Its never been boom or bust as far as i can tell, just a place to take the kids on a rainy day. That said, i have no doubt there are hardcore adult bowlers around.

Lawn Bowls, on the other hand is massive, has been for a century, (surly its related to its indoor cousin?), and every town has multiple Bowls clubs. (Serve alcohol and food, has pokies - very popular) I dont know if the US has "clubs".

And bugger it, im now gunna take the missus bowling this weekend.

Lawn bowling isn't very common, at least anymore...used to be big among the rich & haughty ages ago so it's kind of survived as a cookout, summer type game but I don't think I've heard of an organized league or club dedicated to it.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#40]
I haven't bowled much since I left Guam back in 1990.  I do, however, enjoy a game of Wii bowling with my 11 year old daughter - she kicks my butt most of the time
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meant to ask this the other day but I got busy...sorry

When I was bowling as a kid I never owned any of my own gear.  Shoes and balls were provided by the center.  A few months ago I was driving somewhere and the

talk radio station I was listening to had a segment on a bowling center in Silverton (OR).  THEY were talking about "Reactive" balls and "Dry" lanes VS "oiled" etc and YADAYADAYADA and I had no idea what they were talking about (?)

So I gotta ask ('cuase I'm clueless)...what's a "fingertip" ball/House pattern/Oiled VS dry lane.....?  I'm really thinking I'd like to get back into this but I haven't got

clue-1 what all that stuff means.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#42]
fingertip - is different than a house ball which is drilled to your 2nd knuckle. The fingertip is drilled to fit your fingers to the first knuckle. It allows you to put revs on the ball. Instead of just letting it skid down the lane after it leaves your hand.

House pattern or sport shot is a way to oil the lanes for league bowling. It usually is very consistent and allows for high scoring due to the way the oil is laid down. The PBA uses a bunch of different oil patterns to make it harder for the bowlers.

A dry lane is without oil so the ball hooks more usually too much. Usually the houses only oil for leagues so when you go for open bowling the oil has been used up a bit so the lanes become dry and hook more.

A reactive ball has a reactive coverstock which interacts with the lane allowing it to hook through oil. In contrast to a plastic house ball which just slides on oil the reactive ball will still hook through some oil.

There is a weighted core in the ball that helps the ball roll as well. The new technology and the synthetic lanes have made the game a lot more consistent and higher scoring than in the past.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

fingertip - is different than a house ball which is drilled to your 2nd knuckle. The fingertip is drilled to fit your fingers to the first knuckle. It allows you to put revs on the ball.

House pattern or sport shot is a way to oil the lanes for league bowling. It usually is very consistent and allows for high scoring due to the way the oil is laid down. The PBA uses a bunch of different oil patterns to make it harder for the bowlers.

A dry lane is without oil so the ball hooks more usually too much.

A reactive ball has a reactive coverstock which interacts with the lane allowing it to hook through oil. In contrast to a plastic house ball which just slides on oil the reactive ball will still hook through some oil.

There is a weighted core in the ball that helps the ball roll as well. The new technology and the synthetic lanes have made the game a lot more consistent and higher scoring than in the past.
Ah.....thank you

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:05:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Quoted:

fingertip - is different than a house ball which is drilled to your 2nd knuckle. The fingertip is drilled to fit your fingers to the first knuckle. It allows you to put revs on the ball.

Ah.....thank you

Yup, what he said.

There are some very good "how to" videos out there, some on youtube that will really help if you're overwhelmed. The most important thing someone can do when starting to get serious (which means rolling a hook with modern ball designs) is to learn the proper fundamentals of a swing, and work on that to the exclusion of all else. If you do that, you're building skill on top of good form, which is easy. If you develop shitty habits or bad body mechanics early on, learning to undo-them is a nightmare.

You'll see guys really revving the shit out of balls with terrible form, and it looks awesome when they strike - but they're muscling and speeding their bodies through the shot, the revolutions of a hooking ball don't require any muscle at all. Form & letting gravity do the work will get the job done, and make it easier to be consistent.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah.....thank you

Yup, what he said.

There are some very good "how to" videos out there, some on youtube that will really help if you're overwhelmed. The most important thing someone can do when starting to get serious (which means rolling a hook with modern ball designs) is to learn the proper fundamentals of a swing, and work on that to the exclusion of all else. If you do that, you're building skill on top of good form, which is easy. If you develop shitty habits or bad body mechanics early on, learning to undo-them is a nightmare.

You'll see guys really revving the shit out of balls with terrible form, and it looks awesome when they strike - but they're muscling and speeding their bodies through the shot, the revolutions of a hooking ball don't require any muscle at all. Form & letting gravity do the work will get the job done, and make it easier to be consistent.

Thanks (Again)

Off to YT.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top